Music Angel xd-se500mkiii

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by dboy69, Nov 16, 2009.

1. dboy69

dboy69 New Member

Hi All,

Might anyone out there own one of these amps and be able to answer a question, this amp had a small toggle on top to select either ultra-linear or triode, which position of the switch is which? I asked the company I purchased it from but what they told me seems to make no sense. With the switch in the position they say is ultra-linear it sounds quieter than the other position. Based on my limited knowledge of tube amps this seems backwards, ie the quieter output should be from the triode mode, can anyone clarify. I know this amp is fairly popular so I hope some other owners out there can help. A newb to tubes (valves). Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. MelodyMaster

MelodyMaster 78s galore.

I don't know this amp in particular, but whether being being triode or pentode mode doesn't directly affect gain, just available power. In pentode mode the screen grid is connected to the output transformer, which actually acts as negative feedback or degeneration of the output voltage swing. It also effectively lowers driving impedance of the tubes. Thus Ultra-linear mode reduces voltage gain a bit but increases available power output.

3. persil

persil Well-Known Member

If this is the KT88 Music angel sd amp I am told that it benifits from some simple mods to make it better, in fact class leading. See this site http://www.lampizator.eu/AMPLIFIERS/CHINA/KT88/Music Angel KT88 reworking.html he is well respected around here and knows his stuff! The mods are simple!

My amps that use UL /Triode switching dont suffer with your problem and as said before the only other audible difference (other than sound quality) is that in Triode mode, is the lack ok ability to supply power?

4. dboy69

dboy69 New Member

Hi Persil,

The amp I got is the EL34 based amp but I am planning on getting another amp and I plan on looking at the KT88 based on the fact that there is documented mod that as you mentioned once done it creates a respectable sounding amp. I wish there were mods posted for the amp I have being a newb at tubes I wouldn't know where to start modding it. I can't complain as it is, it sounds reasonably decent after I rolled the tubes. I will have to start saving my pennies to get the KT88 and do some experimenting.

5. persil

persil Well-Known Member

Ive heard that the Bewitch KT88 is in a different class to the Music Angel, I also noticed that on the Hong Kong sites the prices of the two are equalising.

It is said the MA looks like it was built in a chinese concentration camp, the bewitch, Europe! Ive heard a Bewitch KT88 amp after minor tweaks and it sounded very good indeed! one advantage is that it usually comes with a respectable quad of EH KT88's!

6. dboy69

dboy69 New Member

Thanks persil,
    I figured this would be just one of my tube amps that I would buy and I'm already eyeing up my next one. I will take your advice and look into the bewitch products they definately sound like another step up. It seems that there are more mods posted for the kt88 amps than the el34 amp I have. I don't regret my purchase but I can already see that next purchase will be made with more research. What to expect from a tube newb. I've got solid state figured out and have decent amps but I wanted get my 2 channel system a tube flavor.

Please register to disable this ad.