Music, Formats, and Accuracy – What Really Matters?

I myself admit to having 'collected by labels' in the 80s/90s, although it never stopped me from listening to the music I loved. I later realized that a lot of the 'audiophile' recordings are pretty boring, if good sounding.

OTOH, Command's series of Bongo records are great sounding, and at least entertaining (to me, anyway, but I'm funny that way)

actually, I do like Famous Blue Raincoat.

I'll just go hide in the corner now... :)

I'm pretty much done splitting hairs in this regard...This will not be the popular choice, but I ripped everything into MP3 and am rolling with that format. I might look into downloading higher quality material in the future but for now I have all of the music I own in one convenient location and am listening to it much more because of doing this...As a result of being deaf on my right side since I was 12 my hearing is not sophisticated enough to make out the difference anyway.

I'm just pulling your leg(s) about Diana and Jennifer.

Heck, I own The Carpenters "Singles - 1969-1981" in MP3.

Now, excuse me while I listen to "Superstar" and weep.

Personally, I feel the music, format, and accuracy are all tied together. The music is what evokes the emotional impact for an individual listener. The format determines the accuracy to which that emotional impact is delivered. While MP3 is convienent for some, it audible drawbacks may cause some a loss of emotional impact.

The music is what evokes the emotional impact for an individual listener. The format determines the accuracy to which that emotional impact is delivered. While MP3 is convienent for some, it audible drawbacks may cause some a loss of emotional impact.

I don't know about that. Some of my most enjoyable musical moments have been listening to my car radio, or the work radio piped in my warehouse, or the patio system while I'm floating in the pool.

It's not "hi fi" by any means, but it sure can be fun...

I don't know about that. Some of my most enjoyable musical moments have been listening to my car radio, or the work radio piped in my warehouse, or the patio system while I'm floating in the pool.

It's not "hi fi" by any means, but it sure can be fun...

This is a personal preference that cannot be tranferred to anyone else. I am a videophile mostly, but when I want to listen to music, the kinds of distractions that are introduced by your subjective preference would be intolerable for me, and most audiophiles. There would be no such thing as Hi Fi if most people had the same listening preferences you do. What would be the point?

Guess I'm not much of an audiophile either, as I agree with Andyman.

Two years ago, I stood outside my rental car listening to Death Cab for Cutie 'Summer Skin' as I watched the sun rise over the sheer rock faces that surround the meadow in Yosemite Valley, near Yosemite Village.

I don't feel the fidelity (or lack thereof) of the rental car's stereo in any way diminished the extent to which the moment moved me.

Different strokes, I guess.

As I said, mine isn't going to be the "popular" choice round' these parts :D
I did however try to make things sound as good as possible for my budget...Quality amp, R-dac, Linn speakers, higher ended cabling and such...I'm happy, and listening to more music as a result and that's all that really matters to me :music:

As I said, mine isn't going to be the "popular" choice round' these parts :D
I did however try to make things sound as good as possible for my budget...Quality amp, R-dac, Linn speakers, higher ended cabling and such...I'm happy, and listening to more music as a result and that's all that really matters to me :music:

Wise man, our Bill is.

For me being an audiophile is about enhancing the emotional experience of listening to music, but it's not a black and white issue. Sometimes it's fun to listen to recordings that just sound great, and other times the experience can be intense despite poor sound. In any case, I'm not going to judge someone for being "all about the sound," if that's what makes them happy.

Sound quality is important but its secondary to the enjoyment of music.

Music is part of a social experience: dancing, dining out, partying at the bar, tailgating, relaxing in the pool, going to a concert, and so on. The private listening scenario is unique.

This is a personal preference that cannot be tranferred to anyone else. I am a videophile mostly, but when I want to listen to music, the kinds of distractions that are introduced by your subjective preference would be intolerable for me, and most audiophiles. There would be no such thing as Hi Fi if most people had the same listening preferences you do. What would be the point?

It's not a subjective preference by any means; it's simply a matter of enjoying the music in the moment, carpe diem if you will.

If you and others find these "distractions" cause you to make the listening "intolerable", that's too bad, and I'm glad I don't share in your curse. The point is to enjoy the music, and if some media don't meet your standards for enjoying it, that's quite unfortunate.

You sound like the guy who's too focused on the destination and ignores the journey along the way. Most of life isn't nirvana; enjoy the simple pleasures too..:thmbsp:

I'm just pulling your leg(s) about Diana and Jennifer.

Heck, I own The Carpenters "Singles - 1969-1981" in MP3.

Now, excuse me while I listen to "Superstar" and weep.

I know, I was trying to be funny back. :D

On a serious note, I always believe that the music comes first and the fidelity second. I just appreciate the music even more when I get both

SOme of my favorite musical memories are from song heard through the front speaker of my Dad's 1975 Buick Electra.

On a serious note, I always believe that the music comes first and the fidelity second. I just appreciate the music even more when I get both.

That does it for me.

I have a long commute every day and listen to FM radio, CDs and MP3s - I enjoy the hell out of the music I hear and it makes that crappy drive more like a window of opportunity to do some listening. Sure, I often go home and enjoy that same music on a better system with better source and it's an entirely different and more intense experience but that doesn't diminish what I hear in the car.

Back
Top Bottom