Music Give You Goosebumps?

For me, it's a combination of the music itself and the quality of reproduction. The best sounding system playing music I dislike, or a bad system playing a favorite song won't do it. It also helps if it's fairly loud.

I think my old pair of Bose 501 series V speakers brought me to tears once .. when I realized how much I overpaid for them back in 1994. o_O

you know, at first glance I'd be with you when thinking about the price I paid for my Bose Acoustimass 5 s2 back in 1991, even with my 10% employee discount. But then I kinda let it slide because even though my expectations have matured over the years, I'm still enjoying that AM5s2 setup here at my computer work area almost 30 years later - amortized it's not quite so bad LOL

Here is a performance that gives me goosebumps. 1982 mirage tour...wish I could have been there. They are all high as a kite but still killed it:rockon:

I'm lucky enough to experience this a few times a week. Many people just can't understand this phenomenon. My wife just rolls her eyes when she sees me tear up.
You are lucky sir...it really is hard to explain to someone how it feels to be moved to tears by a powerful piece of music. It's probably the only time I feel truly "Alive"

In 2008, in celebration of being 50, my wife and I spent a week in London to hear several concerts by the New Philharmonia under the late Richard Hickox, all of which were part of a year-long retrospective of the works of Ralph Vaughan Williams, who died the year I was born.

At the first concert, the first work was the Fantasia On A Theme By Thomas Tallis. Tallis was a renaissance composer who had composed many choral works, and RVW had used some of them in his editing of the English Hymnal. They started with a small chorale, backstage and heard only through an open door. They sang the Tallis hymn, very quietly. Then, the orchestra started. The Tallis Fantasia is scored for large string orchestra, small string orchestra, and string quartet, and all those muted strings came in at pianissimo even more softly than the off-stage singers. The effect was simply magical.

The memory of it brings tears to my eyes a decade later. At the concert, the tears flowed. Forget goosebumps.

That’s one of a thousand stories of being taken completely by surprise by impossibly beautiful or powerful music. I had heard that work at least a hundred times, but I was astonished by it all over again.

35 years ago, a friend dragged me to a Philip Glass concert, somewhat kicking and screaming. Hearing that strange but profoundly resonant minimalist music, especially performed loudly in a small auditorium, grabbed me. I went in a skeptic and the next day bought every recording of his I could find. One of my reference albums still is Einstein On The Beach. Every time I play it, it thrills me all over again.

But any music can do that at the right time and place. I wrote about listening to Mike Oldfield’s Tubular Bells just today, and having that reaction.

It’s why we do this.

Rick “allowable emotion” Denney

Last edited:
Chinese Guqin music played by masters gives me goosebumps. That's about the only music that does, though, even though I love all kinds of music.

My late wife's favorite artists, Pheobe Snow, and Janis Ian. After an illness left her hearing impaired we were able to attend their concerts, still have the Janis Ian album we bought at the concert, "Breaking Silence". I still have a hard time listening to that one.

A Leo Kotke concert late 70's. The place was a large concert hall in Milwaukee. They had his guitar mic'd perfectly to fill the whole hall with sound. I've never had goosebumps like I had at that concert. Having Steve Goodman on the same show made it my favorite concert of all time.

I get goosebumps listening to the “Mysterious Island “ soundtrack by Bernard Herrmann conducted by Joel McNeely. It calls for a huge (nearly double) orchestra and I use it to show off the woofers in my Cornwalls. Another song that starts my eyes watering is “Scene D’amour” also by Herrmann, from the movie soundtrack “Vertigo”.

Great sounding music to me is like a highly addictive drug. I can't wait to get up in the morning and turn on my stereo to listen to great sounding tunes. The euphoric feeling when listening to your favorite piece of music at elevated levels is beyond words. I love the rush of endorphins, elevated heart rate, trying to sing along, and head to toe goosebumps you get from your favorite music. I wish everyone could experience the rush I get from great sounding music! I'm losing my sight but If I ever lose my hearing, Just shoot me!

You may forget the name of an artist, song, or movie; But you'll always remember how they made you feel. :( :hug: :yikes::rflmao::music:

What's your "Goosebumps" story?
I know exactly what you are talking about. I once heard that a study showed that 1 out of 5 people get an emotional response from music. My ex girlfriend didn't understand it. Lol

Back
Top Bottom