1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Music Hall de be vs Grado sr60e vs Sennheiser HD 2.10

Discussion in 'Headphones' started by Oldsansui441, Nov 24, 2018.

1. Oldsansui441

Oldsansui441 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Hi, l have little experience with headphones and was curious if anyone has any knowledge of the above models?

Might throw these in as an option also? Dayton Audio BTH1 and Samson SR850

Any help appreciated, cheers.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. JoeESP9

JoeESP9 ESL's & tubes since 83

I have a pair of Grado SR60's with upgraded cushions. Need I say more?

3. Oldsansui441

Thanks for your reply, much appreciated. Are the original cushions uncomfortable at all? Since the cable is hard wired and can't be replaced easily l was wondering if it is reasonably robust?

Also these will probably be used in bed of a night and being open backed l guess they could easily aggravate a sleeping partner?

4. JoeESP9

I thought and still do that the OEM cushions on Grado SR60's and 80's are awful. As for disturbing a sleeping partner with open back phones. It depends on several factors, how loud you listen and how soundly your partner sleeps.

FWIW: I have multiple pairs of headphones. All of them except for a pair of JBL's and a pair of Sennheiser earbuds are open back. Even my favorite pair of IEM's (Monolith M-300's) are open back. IME open back phones have a more open and airier sound.

No phones I've ever heard produce any type of soundstage (binaural recordings excepted).

5. Oldsansui441

Thank you for the additional information, certainly helps and gives me something to think about.

Interesting what you say about the soundstage, l didn't realise this was the case :thumbsup:.

6. JoeESP9

For me a soundstage is the aural illusion of performers over there where my speakers used to be. IME headphones do not and can't do this. Every pair of headphones I've ever heard produces sound in a straight line in my head from one ear to the other. Yes, some sound more airy than others (IME open back). However, that does not constitute a soundstage.

Oldsansui441 likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. Oldsansui441

Thanks, all great info.