Music Hall mmf-2.2 or Yamaha YP-211

Asmodeus2112

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Hi all y'all,

When I was in high school and didn't have much money I was really into Hi-Fi. Back when I was newly married, moving into a house with my new wife, kid on the way etc. something had to give and it was my lovely Hi-Fi setup that I had collected over the last decade. This was before craigslist etc., and I feel so, so stupid for doing this, but I actually threw away my HK T-40 and a lot of vinyl. This is the first time I have admitted this. So, now that I have a bigger house and a little more money and time I am on a quest to get a T-40, or maybe a T-65 or something better. Until I find the right turntable though, these two are on CL and I would like to have a deck to use, and have fun finding some vinyl to play. Looking at a YP-211 for 200 asking price, or a Music Hall mmf-2.2. Or I might keep looking but just thought I'd reach out for some guidance.

Not my CL ads:
https://austin.craigslist.org/ele/d/yamaha-yp-211-natural-sound/6764430472.html

https://austin.craigslist.org/ele/d/music-hall-turntable/6750478473.html

Last edited:
I once bought one of the H/K turntables at that auction site, but due to the seller packing it poorly, the counterweight was bouncing around loose under the dust cover, and the spindle hub had come out of the base it was pressed into. Not a very good construction, in other words, but it did look cool. I think all that was salvageable was the headshell.

Of the two you've listed...well, the Music Hall is gone now, so I guess it's a moot point. :D I was going to say that I had the MMF-2.1 for a couple of years as a spare. On paper it didn't look so good (stamped metal platter, cheap dustcover hinges, etc.), but it sounded better than it had any right to, better than any of the direct drive tables I had owned, and the speed was rock solid.

That Yamaha looks nice. If it needs a new belt, ask in the turntable forum here where to get one--someone will be able to point you towards one! It should be a good solid turntable.

I once bought one of the H/K turntables at that auction site, but due to the seller packing it poorly, the counterweight was bouncing around loose under the dust cover, and the spindle hub had come out of the base it was pressed into. Not a very good construction, in other words, but it did look cool. I think all that was salvageable was the headshell.

Of the two you've listed...well, the Music Hall is gone now, so I guess it's a moot point. :D I was going to say that I had the MMF-2.1 for a couple of years as a spare. On paper it didn't look so good (stamped metal platter, cheap dustcover hinges, etc.), but it sounded better than it had any right to, better than any of the direct drive tables I had owned, and the speed was rock solid.

That Yamaha looks nice. If it needs a new belt, ask in the turntable forum here where to get one--someone will be able to point you towards one! It should be a good solid turntable.
Thanks Wildcat. My H/K T-40 was a good turntable for me in my high school and college years, sorry to hear your purchase got trashed.
Not my ad, but check out this H/K stack with a T-65.
https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/ele/d/vintage-harman-kardon/6754145865.html

Back
Top Bottom