Music Hall mmf-7.1

Catcher10

Prog-tastic!
I finally made my last large upgrade earlier this week. I ordered a Music Hall mmf-7.1 turntable.
I need to ask forgiveness of the vinyl Gods....I have never owned a table that gave so much CD quality sounds, by that I mean.
Crisp, Clean, Brilliance...or it could also be several higher levels of analog goodness.

First off let me give props to slippers-on (Byron), he was a big help in my decision making and some product support. :thmbsp:

This table already is performing well above its price range....As a reference I auditioned, Pro-Ject 5.1, Xpression III, Marantz TT15, Rega RP3 and Music Hall mmf-5.1. No reason to list why I did not choose any of those, good tables but....I chose the mmf-7.1

After some initial setup issues with the anti-skate and arm balance, which Roy Hall answered my emails within 10 minutes, I was off and running.
I am using my Nagaoka MP-110, I purchased the table without cartridge. The MP-110 is proving to be an amazing cart on this table, it is really showing me another couple levels of sonic wonder...I may be looking at the MP-300, couple months out though, as well as an upgraded phono stage.
The first thing I notice about this table is it is extremely quiet, this dual plinth Roy Hall design is pretty sweet. And the motor being decoupled from the plinth is very nice too.
I like MDF in the build of components like speakers and now TT plinths. MDF is an excellent material for sound dampening. Its a homogenous material throughout and the density of MDF is consistent from surface to within.

This Pro-Ject 9 carbon arm is superb, I expect only good things going forward with this arm.
Soundstage is again, CD like, its so wide and inviting I am in analog bliss as I listen to some of my classic vinyl now.
The build quality of these Czech Republic tables is exceptional, I am really pleased with what I see...especially hear.
Yes the cables are lowend, I will get better ones soon, but they are not garbage. What is garbage is the felt mat...I have ordered the MH cork mat, should have in a couple weeks.
The acrylic platter is not only cool, you will see in the pics, but also very musical. I am experiencing a much better tonal range, the lows are solid and the mids and highs are what they should be.
IGD is non-existant with this table...I mean ZERO.

Genesis Selling England By the Pound really shows me what this table can do. Mike Rutherford's bass pedals are so deep and beefy, Tony Banks piano especially on Firth of Fifth, that intro is outstanding, I must have played it a dozen times now!
Phil Collins kick bass is solid and tight and his cymbals give me that old school tinny sound...very jazzy sound.

The ambient electronic, mystical progressive sounds of Porcupine Tree on vinyl are beyond fantastic. Steven Wilson is a vinyl nut and just does an amazing job on their vinyl issues, and this table really brings that all out. The soundscapes and hard driving passages that SW creates really are brilliant. And one of my favs sounds just amazing, even more so on this table. Marbles by Marillion...mesmarizing!
I spun Love Supreme and ohhh boy, Coltrane is utter genious! That sax and drumming are fantastic.
One of the best improvements has been the 3D effects I am enjoying thru the Epic 2's and NAD, I will say this MDC NAD PP375 phono is pretty darn nice for $200, quiet and musical. I keep getting more and more from my NAD components, very pleased! And the Epos have never sounded better with this table......I can only imagine what this table and system will give me in the future with a higher end phono stage and cartridge....I can't wait!! :music:

Here are some pics, I'll also add this to my member system page....Enjoy your music!

The Box...
MHBox.jpg

Well packaged...(the gloves are a nice touch)
MHBox1.jpg

The arm..
MH8.jpg

The motor...
MH9.jpg

MP-110...
MH10.jpg

MH11.jpg

Night time listening...
MH3.jpg

A few system pics...
MH12.jpg

MH4.jpg

MH6.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome, and good job Byron leading another disciple to the joy of higher end analog.

This should keep your ears busy for quite sometime!

Out standing write-up! Nice system you got there.... Enjoy my friend! I am surprised you got a hold of Roy so soon though. He must be getting tired of all the negative complaints. I've got Analysis Plus phono cables....if you need me to see if I can get a deal for you let me know.....PM me your address and I can get that 2M Red out to you.

Thanks Art!

Out standing write-up! Nice system you got there.... Enjoy my friend! I am surprised you got a hold of Roy so soon though. He must be getting tired of all the negative complaints. I've got Analysis Plus phono cables....if you need me to see if I can get a deal for you let me know.....PM me your address and I can get that 2M Red out to you.

Thanks Art!

Roy has always been easy to get a hold of. You don't think the cheap bastard would hire anyone else do you...lol! No really, he is easy to contact.

Excellent, I used to own the original mmf-7 and it was a revelation about how good analog could be. Have fun!

Excellent, I used to own the original mmf-7 and it was a revelation about how good analog could be. Have fun!

True....reading other forums, Music Hall can get a bad rap, but its an amazing table with fantastic build quality. As others might agree, the bad rap is due to the owner attitude.
But I am not buying his attitude to play my vinyl.....his tables are very good and well built.
That's enough for me.

Fantastic acquisition and a fantastic read as well....:thmbsp: That's a sweet table indeed. I am very happy with my Music Hall amp so much so that have added a MH 25.2 cd player to the mix. Enjoy!

Fantastic acquisition and a fantastic read as well....:thmbsp: That's a sweet table indeed. I am very happy with my Music Hall amp so much so that have added a MH 25.2 cd player to the mix. Enjoy!

Alright, Bill...where is the thread for your new CD player?!?

Catcher10 .............you made a great choice!....I myself picked up a MMF 9.1 a year ago and i adore it everyday and have never looked at another TT! :)

Attachments

• Consoance2 002.jpg
    Consoance2 002.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 46
Beautiful table and fantastic looking arm. I love to hear the albums other people are listening to...Coltrane is always good.

Catcher10 .............you made a great choice!....I myself picked up a MMF 9.1 a year ago and i adore it everyday and have never looked at another TT! :)

I don't think I will be looking anytime soon....after just finishing a session including Steven Wilson, Rush, Yes, Earth Wind & Fire and Diana Krall....OMG!!

I just wonder how much better this table will sound with some upgrades of cables, phono stage and needle

...never ending want list:scratch2:

Wow...sweet! You don't play around do you! Congrats on the new CDP!

Excellent! I heard a MH amp while auditioning my Epos Epic 2s, I remember it being really nice.
That CDP I know is very sweet!!

I don't think I will be looking anytime soon....after just finishing a session including Steven Wilson, Rush, Yes, Earth Wind & Fire and Diana Krall....OMG!!

I just wonder how much better this table will sound with some upgrades of cables, phono stage and needle

...never ending want list:scratch2:

That table will respond wonderfully with each thing you upgrade in your system....It will seem as if with the upgrades that table goes up a notch in performance....sound quality. Once I send you the 2mR.....and if you like what Ortofon does, you may want to look for or at least put a 2m Blue or even a 2m Bronze on your list....

^ I'm lookin forward to all the goodness this table can give me.........I need to stop listening now so I can ummm.... go to bed!!!

I also sold my AT LP120USB table to a co-worker who wants to get back into vinyl and also digitize some LP's he has.
Its a great starter table that will accomplish both needs very reliably with little investment.
I bought it new for $215....sold it for $160

Very sweet looking table indeed. Although I have no experience with the Project arms they always look high quality in the pics I've seen, seems like they'll do their job better than many counterparts. Much as I hate to admit it, Linn got it right with their hierarchy theory of how money should be allocated to the various to each part of equipment and I'm sure thats what you are now hearing, those Epics will only improve as the rest of your system does.

Last edited:
Just finished spinning Pink Floyd WYWH...I have the 180gram remaster from last year.....holy smokes!!! Just brilliant........

Back
Top Bottom