Music Related Books

I just ordered this (Hardcover) from Amazon after reading KrisM's post in the Jazz Thread. Thanks Kris.

Songcatchers - In Search of the World's Music by Hart and Kostyal

51RH8ZG31XL._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Nice! I'll have to check that out. I have a copy of "Worlds of Music" by Jeff Titon, the shorter second edition from 2005. I like it because it came with 2 CDs worth of music.

Last edited:
I just ordered this (Hardcover) from Amazon after reading KrisM's post in the Jazz Thread. Thanks Kris.

Songcatchers - In Search of the World's Music by Hart and Kostyal

51RH8ZG31XL._SX379_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
I almost forgot to comment on this one. I hope you like it.
As I mentioned in the other thread I don't know much about the Dead. I do recall seeing Mickey interviewed years ago, and he seemed to have an almost "hyper" aspect to him. Not in a bad way, just super passionate. I finished the book this weekend, and I think it reads like I remember that interview. It was a really quick read, and jumped through the topics fast. In the case of this topic I don't think it was a bad choice. Keeping the pace fast kept it from becoming too cold and academic. I figure it would be a good place to jump off from to do some deeper exploring of all of the great field recorders, if one wanted to.

I really enjoyed it, and found that there were some great quotes from these pioneers. Here's one:

"Music is not just sound. It's movement, it's dance, it's the relationship among the musicians, and the musicians and the dancers, and musicians and dancers and audience. It's related to ritual and work and social interaction".
-Hugo Zemp

Amen.

Nice! I'll have to check that out. I have a copy of "Worlds of Music" by Jeff Titon, the shorter second edition from 2005. T like it because it came with 2 CDs worth of music.
I noticed the other day that Amazon had a bunch of 35cent(plus shipping) used copies.

My AK Secret Santa Sent me this one:
The Jazz Image
Masters of Jazz Photography
by Lee Tanner
Wonderful images backstage etc.
Regards,
Jim

51TH43JR58L._SX426_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I almost forgot to comment on this one. I hope you like it.
As I mentioned in the other thread I don't know much about the Dead. I do recall seeing Mickey interviewed years ago, and he seemed to have an almost "hyper" aspect to him. Not in a bad way, just super passionate. I finished the book this weekend, and I think it reads like I remember that interview. It was a really quick read, and jumped through the topics fast. In the case of this topic I don't think it was a bad choice. Keeping the pace fast kept it from becoming too cold and academic. I figure it would be a good place to jump off from to do some deeper exploring of all of the great field recorders, if one wanted to.

I really enjoyed it, and found that there were some great quotes from these pioneers. Here's one:

"Music is not just sound. It's movement, it's dance, it's the relationship among the musicians, and the musicians and the dancers, and musicians and dancers and audience. It's related to ritual and work and social interaction".
-Hugo Zemp

Amen.

Thanks for the heads-up Kris. I just got it a few days ago from Amazon. I've got two ahead of it, but I may jump the order because this one will be a quick read. When I get to it I'll keep you posted. I'm sure if you enjoyed it I will too. I'm easy to please with reading books that have anything to do with music.

I just finished Vinyl Junkies by Brett Milano. It' was a quick and interesting read that was more of a personality study than anything that attempted to be authoritative in the area of music collecting. I enjoyed it very much.

Lots of interviews with famous (and not so famous), musicians that are also avid collectors of music and who attempt to explain what got them into collecting and why they became obsessed with it.

I found it interesting in that it was published in 2003 which was not the pinnacle of vinyl-mania. It makes no assertions regarding the superiority of any particular format or genre and more so concentrates on what types of people are rabid collectors and the forces which may have influenced that decision, and the consequences thereof.

A quick read and fairly insightful.

Fuzz

Thanks for the heads-up Kris. I just got it a few days ago from Amazon. I've got two ahead of it, but I may jump the order because this one will be a quick read. When I get to it I'll keep you posted. I'm sure if you enjoyed it I will too. I'm easy to please with reading books that have anything to do with music.
Yeah, it's a super quick read. I think it's only about 160 pages of actual reading. And a fair number of pictures, too.

As short as it is, it did open my eyes to a bunch of things. As an example, I had no idea that Bela Bartok was so big into field recording. And it was over 100 years ago!
I was aware that he was a composer that was influenced by "folk" songs. It's a topic I have very little knowledge of, but find fascinating. But I was unaware that he recorded.
It gave me a new level of respect for him, and has me thinking I should pull out his music and give it a spin with fresh ears.

I've read the Richards and Crue book, This Alice In Chains book " The Untold Story", Really made the hair on my neck stand up. It walks you through the recording process of the albums during Staley's life, And what goes on in the background. In some ways I wish I had put it down, But couldn't. It gives those albums a strange spin, Pardon the pun. Depending on my mood, Not always in a good way. Nice thread, Have started some reads from watching here. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom