Music Related Books

jazz guide.jpe

LOVED the original RS Record Guide so I decided to give this a try (despite very mixed reviews). Found a copy in pristine condition, kinda crazy considering the 1985 copyright date, and am reading it now. Dated and some gaping holes (no Milt Jackson records reviewed??), but still fairly interesting...

I just ordered this from Amazon a few days ago, should be here tomorrow or Saturday... extra days even with Prime to Hawaii.

"Backstory In Blue" Ellington at Newport '56
A look at a moment in time and the story behind the story of "Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue". I am so behind on my Jazz reading now that it will probably be a few months before I get to it. But at least it will be in the library (REAL BOOK not KINDLE) when I am ready.
Most of my Jazz reading books and mags are real paper. Very few are on Kindle.

512eh9yRZuL._SX358_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I just ordered this from Amazon a few days ago, should be here tomorrow or Saturday... extra days even with Prime to Hawaii.

"Backstory In Blue" Ellington at Newport '56
A look at a moment in time and the story behind the story of "Diminuendo and Crescendo in Blue". I am so behind on my Jazz reading now that it will probably be a few months before I get to it. But at least it will be in the library (REAL BOOK not KINDLE) when I am ready.
Most of my Jazz reading books and mags are real paper. Very few are on Kindle.

512eh9yRZuL._SX358_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
That looks like a good one.

I can read stuff "online" all day long, but I can't get with reading books in digital format. When it comes to music I'm format agnostic, but reading is different for me. Might be a mental block or something.
I cancelled my newspaper subscription 2(?) years ago. Less, and worse content, plus the price kept going up. And they cancelled the Sunday paper all together for some stupid reason. Sounding like an old man here, but I miss it.

Kat loves the morning Paper, "Star-Advisor", so that comes to the door every morning in the condo. I don't do any Papers in Florida, but I used to. I do subscribe to
USA Today" on Kindle, and "Le Monde" the French newspaper on Kindle. I've done this for a long time, since Kindle was relatively new, and honestly, I need to cancel the USA Today. I don't read it much. I do tend to read "Le Monde" for a world view and to TRY and keep my French on a somewhat decent level. But it's fading. I never use it other than to read, and I'm probably getting only 70 percent of the content at this point. I either need to dive in and keep French as a language, or let it go. I'm on that CUSP, Kris, and it's time to make a decision. I just don't use it any longer. No one speaks French in in Hawaii that I associate with, and maybe 1 in 5,000 speak it in Florida, and I have only met one and he lives 30 miles from me so we never talk.

I'm OK with books on Kindle, but for some reason, I prefer paper books and mags for music reading. ??? I have no idea why. I did get "But Beautiful" the semi-fictitious Jazz book on Kindle and got completely through it no problem, but my copy of "The History of Jazz" by Gioia on Kindle never got touched much, and I relied on the paper copy.

Plus, I was into book "Collecting" for many years and have a decent library, as does Kat. Trust me. If I took pictures of all her bookshelves all over the condo you'd laugh. Luckily, She has jumped fully BIG TIME into digital in the last 5 years or so or we would totally run out of room. I still hold out and collect real paper for some things. I have a large collection of Jazz magazines in binders spanning back about 20 years. I don't have ALL volumes complete, but complete enough for me to enjoy. Will I ever go back and look at them? Probably not, but collecting books (and Mags) to me is not always about reading every single thing you have, it's sometimes about just having them IN CASE you ever want to read them.... as in a personal library. :) Very few of my books in my collection would be considered "Valuable" by serious collector's standards, but I do have a few first editions here and there in excellent condition that would get a few raised eyebrows from collectors. But that's not my goal in book collecting. I just want books I enjoy or would enjoy if I ever had time to read them. Someday maybe, eh?

Last edited:
Kat loves the morning Paper, "Star-Advisor", so that comes to the door every morning in the condo. I don't do any Papers in Florida, but I used to. I do subscribe to
USA Today" on Kindle, and "Le Monde" the French newspaper on Kindle. I've done this for a long time, since Kindle was relatively new, and honestly, I need to cancel the USA Today. I don't read it much. I do tend to read "Le Monde" for a world view and to TRY and keep my French on a somewhat decent level. But it's fading. I never use it other than to read, and I'm probably getting only 70 percent of the content at this point. I either need to dive in and keep French as a language, or let it go. I'm on that CUSP, Kris, and it's time to make a decision. I just don't use it any longer. No one speaks French in in Hawaii that I associate with, and maybe 1 in 5,000 speak it in Florida, and I have only met one and he lives 30 miles from me so we never talk.

I'm OK with books on Kindle, but for some reason, I prefer paper books and mags for music reading. ??? I have no idea why. I did get "But Beautiful" the semi-fictitious Jazz book on Kindle and got completely through it no problem, but my copy of "The History of Jazz" by Gioia on Kindle never got touched much, and I relied on the paper copy.

Plus, I was into book "Collecting" for many years and have a decent library, as does Kat. Trust me. If I took pictures of all her bookshelves all over the condo you'd laugh. Luckily, She has jumped fully BIG TIME into digital in the last 5 years or so or we would totally run out of room. I still hold out and collect real paper for some things. I have a large collection of Jazz magazines in binders spanning back about 20 years. I don't have ALL volumes complete, but complete enough for me to enjoy. Will I ever go back and look at them? Probably not, but collecting books (and Mags) to me is not always about reading every single thing you have, it's sometimes about just having them IN CASE you ever want to read them.... as in a personal library. :) Very few of my books in my collection would be considered "Valuable" by serious collector's standards, but I do have a few first editions here and there in excellent condition that would get a few raised eyebrows from collectors. But that's not my goal in book collecting. I just want books I enjoy or would enjoy if I ever had time to read them. Someday maybe, eh?
Someday indeed, lol.

All of this recent ROIO trading I've been doing lately has me going back to all of the stuff I DL'd and burned to CDR over the years. The "Info" files were printed to paper and filed into binders. Just a mess of stuff, but I always feel good about going back into that music. A bit too nerdy, though. A Black Crowes show from 1996 recently turned up in the live music playlist thread, so I went to go get my copy to and give it a spin. I don't have a copy, though. I have THREE different versions!

I hear ya on the language thing. I had to take French from grade four to grade nine. I did OK with it from grade four to eight, but when I got to high school I barely made it through grade nine French. Apparently my elementary school French teacher was more than happy to half ass it, and then give out Bs to anybody who didn't bother him.

I can totally see how it's a use it or lose it thing.
My kid is Inuit, and we often talk about getting her to learn some Inuktitut. I'm 100% on board with celebrating her culture, but the language thing would be tough.
Before we adopted her we were waiting to adopt a girl from China. Somebody we knew who was taking Mandarin lessons came over to give us a quick lesson. It hurt the brain, lol.

Not a Thrift find, but I did find a good deal at Amazon (3rd party seller) for a Hardcover of "MILES" The Autobiography by Davis and Troupe.

I read this in College and have not even seen the book since. I've wanted it in my collection for decades and just kept forgetting. Finally ordered it a few weeks ago in Hardcover Used VG + and it came today. I actually think I may find the time to read this one quickly.

51Qxnt6Bn1L._SX403_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

My schedule has been slammed the last few weeks, but I did find time to read the classic Playboy interview with Miles circa September, 1962 via Kindle. A quick read (30 minutes) and very insightful. The then unknown author Alex Haley conducted and wrote the interview for Hugh Hefner. It was a landmark interview that started the ball rolling for Playboy doing celebrity interviews.

Minimal reading, maximum gazing of classic rock album jacket art. It's a heavyweight book with a price to match. However, it is one of the highest quality album art books I have come across. Its 552 pages includes some lesser-known rock album covers, making it more interesting. Just remember, this book is all about the art, not so much the music. It's a fixture in my listening room which is decorated in framed rock album covers.

IMG_20160411_194719.jpg

Minimal reading, maximum gazing of classic rock album jacket art. It's a heavyweight book with a price to match. However, it is one of the highest quality album art books I have come across. Its 552 pages includes some lesser-known rock album covers, making it more interesting. Just remember, this book is all about the art, not so much the music. It's a fixture in my listening room which is decorated in framed rock album covers.

View attachment 718066

Love it!!! There are some great jazz themed books along this line. The Blue Note covers never fail to impress. A friend of mine took the plunge with the highly coveted book that recently came out, the plunge being the cost. He says that it doesn't matter who is sitting in his living room, the book gets huge attention.

Here's a smaller slice of Blue Note, with a smaller dent on the wallet.

https://www.amazon.ca/The-Cover-Blue-Note-Records/dp/1843405997

Finally picked up Straight Life by Art and Laurie Pepper and started reading it on the plane to Nashville. Unvarnished and brutal so far.

Since I'm in Music City on the West End, I dropped by RCA Victor (Elvis) and Columbia (Dylan) on Music Row. I felt the King's presence and the aura of Zimmerman.

Finally picked up Straight Life by Art and Laurie Pepper and started reading it on the plane to Nashville. Unvarnished and brutal so far.

Since I'm in Music City on the West End, I dropped by RCA Victor (Elvis) and Columbia (Dylan) on Music Row. I felt the King's presence and the aura of Zimmerman.

Ya that book is nuts. BTW Laurie Pepper is really accessible and always enjoys chatting with "the people", if the notion strikes you at any point. A couple of my virtual pals were doing some blogging and she popped up in the comments section. They reached out and she ended up giving them a full interview, as well as pertinent info for the bootleg concert audio that they were posting. Pretty awesome lady. Reach her on Twitter @artpeppermusic

Just an update gents, I'm about half way through "MILES, THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY" and I wanted to mention and sample post from the pictorial sections. There are two separate pictorial sections in the novel, 1/3rd and 2/3rd of the way through.
This is a great read (2nd time I've read it in my Jazz-Lovin' Life), but the photographs. Amazing.

ffc3b11f-51e1-42b9-94a0-b6a499d3a22b.jpg
IMG_0100.jpg

Just an update gents, I'm about half way through "MILES, THE AUTOBIOGRAPHY" and I wanted to mention and sample post from the pictorial sections. There are two separate pictorial sections in the novel, 1/3rd and 2/3rd of the way through.
This is a great read (2nd time I've read it in my Jazz-Lovin' Life), but the photographs. Amazing.

ffc3b11f-51e1-42b9-94a0-b6a499d3a22b.jpg
IMG_0100.jpg

I was shocked at how low Miles opinion on certain players was. Especially Duke Jordan. If you never heard Jordan play, you would think he was completely hapless after readin Miles book.

I was shocked at how low Miles opinion on certain players was. Especially Duke Jordan. If you never heard Jordan play, you would think he was completely hapless after readin Miles book.

That's the truth. Miles wasn't too kind on certain players. It made me wonder if there was some personal tension there, and Miles just pushed that into insulting their Jazz talent.

Back
Top Bottom