Music Related Books

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by poppachubby, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Delmarva

Delmarva Addicted Member

FOH Engineer and poppachubby like this.
  2. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ Super Member

I picked-up this Jazz haul (and a few more not pictured) at a recent estate sale. The guy had hundreds of burned CD's, which I didn't have the patience to look through, but apparently no proper CD releases or LP's. But he had all of these volumes, which I liberated for a small fee:

image.jpg image.jpg

GJ

3. poppachubby

poppachubby Boo Yaka! Boo Yaka! Subscriber

Incredible score!

CoryS06, FOH Engineer and BLAH BLAH like this.
  4. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

Instant Jazz library! Excellent score.

CoryS06, FOH Engineer and BLAH BLAH like this.
  5. Carraway

Carraway AK Subscriber Subscriber

A Bb Omnibook. That brings back memories, and I wish I knew where mine has gotten to. Based on those volumes my guess is that the dude could play.

CoryS06 likes this.
  6. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ Super Member

He had little saxophone trinkets everywhere; I'm sure he studied, but I don't know for how long or how much time he had to practice... I'd never heard of him, musically speaking, but he was a successful businessman that apparently enjoyed jazz enough to want to participate on some level. I thought there might be some horns around, but they too, like any CD's or LP's, seemed to have vanished, unfortunately.

GJ

CoryS06 likes this.
  7. fdrennen

fdrennen Organist in Residence

I have the Parker Omnibook and have read the Simpkins Coltrane book. Great haul!

BLAH BLAH likes this.
  8. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ Super Member

I haven't read the Simpkins bio, although I did read the one by Lewis Porter, and I also read Ashley Khan's book about the "Love Supreme" sessions. Obviously, I'll eventually get to the Simpkins bio now!

GJ

9. FOH Engineer

FOH Engineer Super Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Love this thread. Nothing like grabbing a chair, turn on the 1030 down low, add a little Miles Davis and crack a book or a vintage Stereo Review.
    I think we need a new thread about "what are you reading while your listening" image.jpeg View attachment 856225

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
  10. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ Super Member

The magazine I miss the most is Musician. Such a perfect blend of the Rolling Stone/Downbeat superfan vibe, with the technical articles and reviews germane to actual players and audio pros. Some of the greatest music interviews and features ever...

GJ

FOH Engineer likes this.
  11. poppachubby

poppachubby Boo Yaka! Boo Yaka! Subscriber

FOH Engineer likes this.
  12. fdrennen

fdrennen Organist in Residence

[​IMG]Listen to an interview with Ed Berger on WRHU from August 13, 2014.

very sorry to report that jazz historian, archivist, discographer, writer, producer, educator, photographer and friend Ed Berger passed away on Saturday. Ed had recently retired from his position as Associate Director of the Institute of Jazz Studies at Rutgers University, and his publications include Benny Carter: A Life in American Music; Reminiscing in Tempo: The Life and Times of a Jazz Hustler (a biodiscography of record producer Teddy Reig); Bassically Speaking: An Oral History of George Duvivier; and Softly, With Feeling: Joe Wilder and the Breaking of Barriers in American Music. Ed's writings and photographs appeared in JazzTimes and he was co-editor of the Journal of Jazz Studies. thank you, Ed.

13. RhythmGJ

RhythmGJ Super Member

Sorry to hear it; RIP. I almost went to Rutgers for that program (but it doesn't go beyond Masters)...

GJ

PS-- Oh, shoot, I just noticed that the Burger book shown above looks like it was co-written by one of my favorite music profs from school, Jim Patrick. He won a Grammy for his liner-notes on Charlie Parker. Very smart guy and a wonderful Jazz historian.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    CoryS06 and fdrennen like this.
  14. BirdLives

BirdLives Super Member

Picked this up used but pristine at my local record shop last night. I've got some reading to do:

Penguin Guide.jpg

CoryS06, BLAH BLAH and poppachubby like this.
  15. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors Subscriber

BillyBatts and poppachubby like this.
  16. bobsvinyl

Picked this up today at GW Buy the Pound.

2017-02-01 17.33.32.jpg

17. bobsvinyl

Found this also at BTP. Really neat book with lots of photos and schematics from 1958.

2017-02-02 08.23.54.jpg 2017-02-02 08.22.17.jpg

poppachubby likes this.
  18. Doghouse

Doghouse New Member

jnicholson14 and poppachubby like this.
  19. TPettenati

TPettenati Active Member

Street Player: My Chicago Story
    by Danny Seraphine

Founding member and drummer for Chicago, Danny Seraphine gives his inside story of life on the inside of one of Americas most successful progressive jazz/rock/pop bands. This is an good read for any fan of Chicago, or Chicago Transit Authority as named on the first album, and then threatened with a lawsuit by the real CTA.

He covers a lot of ground from the early days of learning to play drums, playing to almost empty nightclubs looking for the big break, to beyond the day in 1990 when he was voted out of the group. In between he shares stories of almost constant touring, the devastating loss of Terry Kath, and the departure of Peter Cetera.

It seems like he still hasn't gotten over being kicked out of the band, and at the very end of the book in the acknowledgements - he tries to make amends. But it rings kind of hollow.

Street Player.jpg

BillyBatts likes this.
  20. Wolverine

Wolverine AK Subscriber Subscriber

Thrifts are good for more than just gear.
    So far I have picked up Eric Clapton's and Keith Richards biographies there and just grabbed Miles Davis' biography from a local GW.