Music Related Books

For folks who are new to classical music I like Bill Parker's "The International Guide to Building a Classical Music Library". A bit long in the tooth now but a good primer none the less.

Great suggestions here. When I get to work (I work at a public library), I'm going to interloan some of these!

I'm currently reading "Detroit Rock City: an Uncensored History of Rock 'N' Roll in America's Loudest City". It's an oral history of Detroit music from the mid 60's up till 2000. Lots of great anecdotes, straight from the horse's mouth.

A couple of books that I've read in the past and really enjoyed are "Black Monk Time" by Thomas Edward Shaw of the Monks, and "Really the Blues" by Mezz Mezzrow. Sure, the history is questionable in the Mezzrow book, but what a fun read!

Your input will be much appreciated by me at least. Classical is an area I am very unknowledgable in. However we can trade insight as I am well versed in jazz. You should of course read bios on Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, Diz, Bird and Billy Holiday. As for books which paint the landscape, Ted Gioia's is a great one. Gotta run and deal with my kids... I will suggest more for you.

Thank you for the kind words. I just checked, and my local public library has three books by Ted Gioia, including The History of Jazz and The Jazz Standards. I'll borrow History of Jazz tomorrow, and Jazz Standards later (it's out right now). Thank you for the suggestions.

This one was really good, very down to earth guy...who went to hell and back with the booze

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 70
Not sure if this is the sort of thing you're after.... I suggested this one in another thread:

Life - Keith Richards
2edy344.jpg

Great read.

Walk this Way

is a very candid read on Aerosmith whom are quoted through out the book since they were involved in the process and were interviewed for the book. A lot of information and it is surprising all the detail they remember after all the drugs and alcohol they consumed.

When I go into any thrift store looking for records, I also check out electronics, artwork and books. I've found some good reads for small money. Here are a few.

Attachments

• IMG_5450.jpg
    IMG_5450.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5449.jpg
    IMG_5449.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_5448.jpg
    IMG_5448.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_5447.jpg
    IMG_5447.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_5446.jpg
    IMG_5446.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 145
Some more. This is a great idea for a thread!

Attachments

• IMG_5451.jpg
    IMG_5451.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_5452.jpg
    IMG_5452.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_5453.jpg
    IMG_5453.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 119
I have some biographies: Jacques Brel, The Beatles, Dutch band called Doe Maar... The two books I enjoyed most are the autobiography of Marc Everett (Eels), Things the grandchildren should know and, something completely different, Terry Pratchett with Soul music. Reading these with a drop of whisky and some good music is close to nirvana.

Yes I enjoyed that one too, he has a really personable narrative. I eat up all things GNR. Slash has an amazing autobio out as well.

Slash's was awesome too, the part where he was talking about him and Izzy in that tiny apartment had me laughing my ass off. Now if Axl would put an autobiography out...I'd be in line for that.

Your input will be much appreciated by me at least. Classical is an area I am very unknowledgable in. However we can trade insight as I am well versed in jazz. You should of course read bios on Louis Armstrong, Miles Davis, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, John Coltrane, Diz, Bird and Billy Holiday. As for books which paint the landscape, Ted Gioia's is a great one. Gotta run and deal with my kids... I will suggest more for you.

I picked up the Grout book at a GW a few years ago, along with a jazz book, The Jazz Book by Berendt. Any thoughts on it? I still haven't had the time to read either of them. Having a kid will do that.:D

Speaking of which, I can recommend a couple of "easier" reads. Books with short chapters, lots of pictures, etc.
I was given the book that went along with the American Roots Music series when it was on PBS. I finally got around to reading it, and I really enjoyed it. I know my blues, but when I got the book I didn't have much appreciation for most of the other genres that are "roots". It connected a lot of dots, for me.
I still haven't seen the series, so I'm curious if the DVDs are worth a purchase.

The Bob Marley book Songs Of Freedom was another one in the easy read category.

I was given a used copy of The Illustrated Story Of Jazz. I haven't read it yet, but thumbing through it makes me think I could potentially put it in the category as the two above.

I can also recommend the book about the making of A Love Supreme, the Muddy Waters bio Can't Be Satisfied, the Howlin' Wolf one that came out at about the same time(forget the title), and Chasin' The Trane.

I'm no classical expert, but I picked up the book that goes along with the Beethoven Bicentennial LP collection, and I like it a lot.

Speaking of GNR, did Izzy ever put out a book?

I just finished Pete Townshend's "Who I Am," which deals with a lot of personal issues and demons, but had very interesting sections on the recording of "Live at Leeds" (the clicks and pops referred to on the label resulted from using old military surplus recording equipment) and "Tommy" (and why it sounded so much better live). Also lots of bits and pieces about how the Who sound came to be. Not as funny as Keef's "Life," but well worth a read.

Next on the list is David Byrne's "How Music Works."

I was surprised finding this at the local GW yesterday. From 1963.

Attachments

• IMG_5471.jpg
    IMG_5471.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 133
When I go into any thrift store looking for records, I also check out electronics, artwork and books. I've found some good reads for small money. Here are a few.

Three of those are on my want list, the folk one, sun records and the gospel one. Great finds i have been wanting those three for a long time. :banana:

Back
Top Bottom