Music Related Books

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by poppachubby, Sep 29, 2013.

1. fdrennen

fdrennen Organist in Residence

[​IMG]

The Death of Rhythm and Blues

By Nelson George

2. noisefreq

noisefreq Active Member

Please Kill Me: The Uncensored Oral History Of Punk by Legs McNeil and Gillian McCain (Abacus 1997 edition)
    IMG_20170805_141617.jpg

Just finished this and I know it's been mentioned here before but I liked the book and wanted to give it a shout out. This is probably not for everyone.
    It's written in an interview style with recounts from groupies, musicians, industry people, bar owners, hangers on and the authors themselves with multiple prospectives that paint a full (sometimes painfully so) picture of the events.
    Covers mid 60's to early 80's of about a dozen seminal bands that existed in and around the New York City and Detroit scenes.

I bet most readers come away with disbelief of the depravity that is described in this book. A different time I guess.
    I just kept thinking how the behavior of most of these people changed after the introduction of HIV to this country. You simply could not share sex and needles like everyone did in the 70's and live unscathed.

My favorite recount is from Cyrinda Fox regarding Johnny Thunders:
    "I put him in the shower and scrubbed him. He was just so bad, he was so bad, I just never saw anybody that bad in my life. He had these big scars, lumps, and bumps, and his feet were filthy; he had big bruises where he had been shooting up all over his feet, and on his legs, and anywhere he could shoot up. Abscesses everywhere.
    He was so gross, and I just wanted to scrub the evil out of him..."

Quadman2 and jnicholson14 like this.
  3. fdrennen

fdrennen Organist in Residence

Softly, With Feeling: Joe Wilder and the Breaking of Barriers in American Music (Temple University Press, 2014)

Ed Berger

[​IMG]

Just came from a memorial for the author of this book who died suddenly in Jan. the book has won the book award for Best Research in Recorded Jazz Music from The Association for Recorded Sound Collection.

081817134537.jpg

poppachubby likes this.
  4. CSCHOEN

CSCHOEN Active Member

Santana "The Universal Tone" - Great read for those wishing to know more about Santana, the band and the story behind the music. Recommended.

poppachubby likes this.
  5. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

At a book market in town today and picked up "The Lost Writings of JIM MORRISON".

Not sure what to expect, but thought that I might get some insight into his character that other sources have shared. This book is of his poems and diary shares.

From what I read, he saw himself as a poet first and an entertainer second, so that's another reason why I picked up this book.

Q

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
    jnicholson14 and poppachubby like this.
  6. poppachubby

poppachubby Boo Yaka! Boo Yaka! Subscriber

Wow I need this one, thanks fdrennen.

7. luke85

luke85 Active Member

[​IMG]

noisefreq likes this.
  8. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

Found this at GW Buy the Pound today.

001.JPG

9. bobsvinyl

Today's find made me very happy. I'm a big fan of 60s-70s psych music, but I am also exploring newer groups that have carried the torch. At GW Buy the Pound today, I found this at the bottom of one of the book carts.

001.JPG

10. luke85

luke85 Active Member

IMG_5909.JPG

got this a few years back, just started reading it recently , great book that includes rare photo's of the velvets

11. bobsvinyl

12. luke85

luke85 Active Member

13. BlindBoyGrnt

BlindBoyGrnt Nullius in verba Subscriber

Now reading:
    "Unfaithful Music & Disappearing Ink" by Elvis Costello
    He seems like a good guy, not the angry persona.

14. john111/LZ

john111/LZ Super Member

Half way through and i agree,all written in hindsight of course as at the time in UK he had a bad reputation as someone who started fights but allowed others to finish them for him.....literally.Was a violent scene though,post hippy dream,post punk and Thatcher in power.....

15. johnebravo

johnebravo I should be practicing

Music enthusiasts who have a scientific bent will probably find This is Your Brain on Music by Daniel Levitin interesting; it explores the neuroscience behind music appreciation from an evolutionary perspective. I thought it was great.

BlindBoyGrnt and john111/LZ like this.
  16. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors Subscriber

That Howlin Wolf book was great! Thanks to whoever recommended it to me :beerchug:

I listen to Classical while I read at night and enjoy learning as much as I can about what I like.
    Each of those classical music books are very good.
    I did my homework before selecting my reference library.

Tony Iommi is freaking hilarious. He's no scholar but that's not prerequisite to being entertaining.

What's That Sound? is the companion text to a free online History Of Rock course.
    Coursera has something for almost everyone. I learned a lot from their Beethoven Piano Sonatas course.

[​IMG]

BLAH BLAH and john111/LZ like this.
  17. BlindBoyGrnt

Good research coming out of Montreal.

john111/LZ likes this.
  18. BlindBoyGrnt

While not a tell-all, he writes about his failings, including his failure with race relations. I was more interested in all the music and musicians he knows. His style is literate, but in an easy to read conversational flow. He (like me) agrees that "Goodbye Cruel World" is mediocre, and things picked with the brilliant "King of America".

john111/LZ likes this.
  19. jnicholson14

jnicholson14 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I just read Noel Monk - Runnin With The Devil.

[​IMG]

Entertaining read, with great insight on the personalities in the band. Some stupid moments, some a-hole moves, and somehow brilliant music was made. Good stuff.

20. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

From time to time, I've thought to share some of Jim Morrison's poems. Like all writers, some results are brilliant, while others fall far short. Jim had his moments of enlightenment as do we all.

Shrill demented sparrows bark
    The sun into being. They rule
    dawn's Kingdom- The cars-

a rising chorus-Then
    workmen's songs & hammers
    The children of the schoolyard,
    a hundred high voices,

complete the orchestration Jim Morrison

Q

noisefreq and Mowgli like this.