Music Related Books

Discussion in 'Music Forums' started by poppachubby, Sep 29, 2013.

1. fdrennen

fdrennen Organist in Residence

ProductDetailA.png

Better Get It in Your Soul: What Liturgists Can Learn from Jazz: Hamilton Reid H, Rush Stephen, Steve Rush:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. TPettenati

TPettenati Active Member

When They Were Boys (The true story behind the Beatles' rise to the top)
    by Larry Kane

This book covers the very early days of the Beatles starting in the late 50's as there just learning to play instruments,
    some of the other bands they played in, and the early members before Ringo.

There are some good story's about the Liverpool music scene in the early 60's, and some wild tales of their first gigs in the Hamburg red light district.

I found this book a bit tedious and repetitive. It's a non-linear time progression. Each chapter on a different band member, manager, promoter, etc. resets back to the 50's and tells how each persons life intersected with the others. Too many times the author says "but more on that later."

When they were boys.jpg

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  3. bobsvinyl

bobsvinyl Painfully Aware Subscriber

GW Buy the Pound yielded up this book that I was excited to find. A history of post-war Japanese rock.

[​IMG]

noisefreq likes this.
  4. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

"Sirens
    Water
    Rain & Thunder
    Jet from the base
    Hot searing insect cry
    The frogs & crickets
    Doors open & close
    The smash of glass
    The Soft Parade
    An accident
    Rustle of silk, nylon
    Watering the dry grass
    Fire
    Bells
    Rattlesnake, whistles, castanets
    Lawn mower
    Good Humour man
    Skates & wagons
    Bikes

Jim Morrisson

5. satkinsn

satkinsn low end audio Subscriber

The Great Jazz and Pop Vocal Albums.JPG

Will Friedwald, the author, was never a favorite of mine - through his first few books I thought he was too clever, too arch. Then, around the time he wrote the book-length study of Sinatra recordings, "Sinatra! The Song Is You," my opinion changed. I think the Sinatra book is definitive on the man as recording artist, which is what I care about. Better still is 2010's "A Biographical Guide to The Great Jazz and Pop Singers." Turns out Friedwald is a superb short essayist. His latest looks at 50+ of the greatest jazz and pop (think American songbook, standards for the most part) albums. Each album is a jumping off point for consideration of the artist, and Friedwald is especially strong at explaining how the album selected fits in with the rest of the artist's work. Like the Biographical guide, it's a great book to dip in and out of. One of my two favorite music books this year.

s.

chicks likes this.
  6. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

Men who go out on ships
    To escape sin & the mire of cities
    watch the placenta of evening stars
    from the deck, on their backs
    & cross the equator
    & perform rituals to exhume the dead
    dangerous initiations
    To mark passage to new levels

To feel on the verge of exorcism
    To the passage
    To wait, or seek manhood
    enlightenment in a gun

To kill childhood, innocence
    in an instant

Jim Morrison

Last edited: Nov 30, 2017
  7. Jay Kay

Jay Kay New Member

8. Jay Kay

Jay Kay New Member

I’m reading Gioia’s jazz history now. Fascinating, incredible depth for a relatively short book.

9. satkinsn

On my short list of favorite music books are a couple of Gioia titles. His history of west coast jazz is great, will send you down a bunch of rabbit holes if you're not already well-versed in west coast/cool jazz.

Even better, I think, is Gioia's very first book, the obscure "Jazz: The Imperfect Art." It's an eccentric essay about the nature of jazz - not for everybody, but I've read it and reread it with pleasure for 30 years. I put it up there with Evan Eisenberg's "The Recording Angel" and this year's "The New Analogue" by Damon Krukowski as great reads that come at music and sound from unusual angles.

s.

10. Hajidub

Hajidub Ready for Winter! Subscriber

A very simple read compared to some of the postings on here already, but ~Vinyl Junkies~.

11. DirtFarmer

DirtFarmer Active Member

This right here. ^^ I have several editions are they are (were?) indispensable to me when I was discovering jazz.

BillyBatts likes this.
  12. BillyBatts

BillyBatts ALOHA! Subscriber

Those Penguin guides to Jazz were the bible for us Jazz-Cats back then. Still a nice reference today.

Jay Kay likes this.
  13. Jay Kay

Jay Kay New Member

The Penguin Guide to Jazz, 5th edition, is fantastic. What pleased me more though, was when I found a mistake in it. I felt like I had come up a level.

noisefreq likes this.
  14. satkinsn

I've kept selected earlier editions, since Morton and Cook would drop out some albums from version to version. I keep a copy of the first in the trunk of my car, for record shopping days.

s.

Jay Kay likes this.
  15. HunterMcD

HunterMcD AK Subscriber Subscriber

16. noisefreq

noisefreq Active Member

SPACE IS THE PLACE -- THE LIVES AND TIMES OF SUN RA by John Szwed

IMG_20171220_121417.jpg

I read this book a couple of months ago, actually I read it three times. I just found this book fascinating at every turn.

I think this book has been listed here before but it's such a great explanation of what Sun Ra is all about that anyone with the slightest interest should pick it up.

It's interesting to find out what he was reading, he was a voracious reader at an early age, as this shaped his perception of his world.
    His religious beliefs and his views on race relations and politics continued to evolve.
    I can relate to his frustration and can see why traveling the spaceways seems like a perfectly good idea.

He was certainly a unique and complex personality and those around him saw the importance of what he was doing and protected him to a certain extent. Members of the Arkestra stayed with him for decades.

The rehearsing.
    The Arkestra was always rehearsing, to the point of absurdity.
    And Sun Ra was constantly writing scores.

The evolution of his music, rooted in big band and swing, influenced only by his inner beliefs and musical ideas, was running concurrently with other free jazzer's of the day. But he was doing his own thing.

The very definition of a true maverick.

17. noisefreq

noisefreq Active Member

FREE JAZZ by Ekkehard Jost

IMG_20171220_121516.jpg

I bought this book because it listed most of my favorite artists.
    It was written in 1974 which I suspected would lend a certain naivete to the examination.

Coltrane is the central figure in the book, as could be expected.
    His name was already known by '58 and for him to embrace "the new thing" gave the scene creditability and lesser known players had something to point to as if to say "see...he gets it!"

Miles, Mingus, Ornette, Cherry, Dolphy, Shepp, Ayler, AACM, Sun Ra...all are covered. Including many more supporting artists that are gems waiting for me to discover.

The author is German which could explain his precise explanations of the evolution of free jazz.
    He gets down to the specific part of a specific song where giant steps (pun intended) are taken.
    Jost has a way of breaking it down to the molecular level and showing the advancements made, crystalline in his description.

Certainly an academic read but interesting none the less.
    It helps if you can read music, I can't, but I muddled through.

18. Quadman2

Quadman2 Super Member

I am troubled
    Immeasurably
    By your eyes

I am struck
    By the feather
    of your soft

The sound of glass
    Speaks quick
    Disdain

And conceals
    What your eyes fight
    To explain

Jim Morrison

19. Hajidub

Hajidub Ready for Winter! Subscriber

Trouble Boys ~The true story of The Replacements~

20. satkinsn

Been compiling a mental list of my favorite books about the history of radio.

Here's what I have - there are many, many more books on the subject, so this represents what I think are the best.

Erik Barnouw - "A Tower In Babel." Part 1 of his magistral three part history of broadcasting. Returning to this after 30 years, I find it to be as good as I remember it.

Susan Douglas - "Listening In: Radio And The American Imagination."

Jesse Walker - "Rebels On The Air: An Alternate History of Radio In America." What would have happened if we hadn't gone the FCC route?

Marc Fisher - "Something In The Air." A great one volume history that fills in the gap between, roughly, the end of Barnouw and the current Radio 2.0 era. Includes the best coverage of underground FM, the origins of NPR, early satellite radio.

Matthew Lasar - "Radio 2.0: Uploading The First Broadcast Medium." The first big catch-up on modern day radio/audio, written for a general audience. Excellent.

not on the list because they're a bit too specialized, but worth a read:

Christopher Sterling - "Sounds of Change: A history of FM Broadcasting in America."

John N. Anderson - "Radio's Digital Dilemma: Broadcasting In The 21st Century." Excellent analysis of HD radio's struggles. Written before the company backing HD radio changed hands (twice) but worth the read anyway. Two cautions: either rent the book for Kindle or get it from your library. It's stupidly expensive to buy. Second, it's a very readable book except for the introduction/1st chapter, which is written in stilted academic prose. Get past it and you've got a valuable resource.

Anybody got a book to contribute?

s.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017