Music Server--What exactly does this do?

Here is link to one. What exactly does it do? Is it a hardrive to connect to a dac?

http://www.musicalparadise.ca/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=83

I am new to this type of thing but my wife thinks we need one
Shortest answer possible, juno: The product you linked to allows one to access their music and videos (stored as digital files) locally (via a local area network in one's home) and remotely (via a wide area network, i.e. the internet) by means of Microsoft RPC, TeamViewer software (free), or an internet accessible app for software music player Foobar 2000. I've had a Windows-based setup of this sort since 2001 and have enjoyed it thoroughly on nearly a daily basis since. The device enhnaces the playback experience by removing PC fan noise which could interfere with soft passages/low-volume listening, provides high-speed transfer of files between itself and a client/remote computer or device (tablet or phone) via 802.11 n wireless or gigabit ethernet. It allows allows the user to watch video files on a high definition computer or television via the listed HDMI connection.

So, in summary, the MP-Berry V2 music server allows its owner to access their music and video files in or away from home via the internet. While at home, you (and your family) can access the aforementioned files from other computers/devices throughout the house on your wireless or wired network. Away from home, those same files can be accessed and played back by means of Microsoft RPC, TeamViewer or Foobar 2000's app on your phone or tablet. In regard to the MP-D2 DAC add-on option, it personally strikes me as overkill. I don't know if you or your wife are audiophile purist types, but something telling me you won't be listening to high resolution formats with sampling rates out to 384 kHz or multi-megabit DSD files. If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the base unit as presented.

Last edited:
Shortest answer possible, juno: The product you linked to allows one to access their music and videos (stored as digital files) locally (via a local area network in one's home) and remotely (via a wide area network, i.e. the internet) by means of Microsoft RPC, TeamViewer software (free), or an internet accessible app for software music player Foobar 2000. I've had a Windows-based setup of this sort since 2001 and have enjoyed it thoroughly on nearly a daily basis since. The device enhnaces the playback experience by removing PC fan noise which could interfere with soft passages/low-volume listening, provides high-speed transfer of files between itself and a client/remote computer or device (tablet or phone) via 802.11 n wireless or gigabit ethernet. It allows allows the user to watch video files on a high definition computer or television via the listed HDMI connection.

So, in summary, the MP-Berry V2 music server allows its owner to access their music and video files in or away from home via the internet. While at home, you (and your family) can access the aforementioned files from other computers/devices throughout the house on your wireless or wired network. Away from home, those same files can be accessed and played back by means of Microsoft RPC, TeamViewer or Foobar 2000's app on your phone or tablet. In regard to the MP-D2 DAC add-on option, it personally strikes me as overkill. I don't know if you or your wife are audiophile purist types, but something telling me you won't be listening to high resolution formats with sampling rates out to 384 kHz or multi-megabit DSD files. If I were in your shoes, I'd buy the base unit as presented.

Thank you for that summary. It is very helpful.
I already have the MP-D1 DAC, which is discontinued.
So am i clear in understanding the files, such as needledrops or flac can be stored on this device?And then played back as you described via remote sources or the stereo? Could i also have backup hard drives to use with it?

Last edited:
I think someone may be trying to find a crafty way to get me to digitize my physical media collections. So then i can free up some floor space. Hmmmm....not happening. At least anytime soon. :-( i mean thevgetting rid of part. I suppose i may be a luddite in that respect, but i just cant bring myself to do it.

Last edited:
I think someone may be trying to find a crafty way to get me to digitize my physical media collections. So then i can free up some floor space. Hmmmm....not happening. At least anytime soon. :-( i mean thevgetting rid of part. I suppose i may be a luddite in that respect, but i just cant bring myself to do it.
In response to both posts: Yes, you have to admire your wife's subtle method of knudging you towards freeing up some space around the house. ;) In regard to file formats, the server in question will undoubtedly play/allow access to both remotely or pipe directly into your stereo most likely via a plain ole RCA cable. The USB ports listed in the feature list would allow you to to access files stored on backup (presumably external) drives.

P.S.: Congrats on Super Member status/breaching the 1,000 post mark.

In response to both posts: Yes, you have to admire your wife's subtle method of knudging you towards freeing up some space around the house. ;) In regard to file formats, the server in question will undoubtedly play/allow access to both remotely or pipe directly into your stereo most likely via a plain ole RCA cable. The USB ports listed in the feature list would allow you to to access files stored on backup (presumably external) drives.

P.S.: Congrats on Super Member status/breaching the 1,000 post mark.

Thank you on all counts!

Thank you for that summary. It is very helpful.
I already have the MP-D1 DAC, which is discontinued.
So am i clear in understanding the files, such as needledrops or flac can be stored on this device?And then played back as you described via remote sources or the stereo? Could i also have backup hard drives to use with it?

Yes to all your questions. The playback is sent through the system from NAS to DAC using my hardwired network. I access that network via my laptop to remote control the music server and the JRiver music software.

My setup looks like this:

Network Attached Storage (8GB storage Synology D415+) ===> CAPS 3 media server (with JRiver and TeamViewer software - Accessed remotely via my laptop on the network using Teamviewer) ===> Wyred4Sound USB Reclocker ===> Mcintosh D100 DAC ===> McIntosh MX135 pre-amp

The network is a hard wired and wireless affair. The NAS & Music server are hardwired to the network, with the DAC hardwired to the media server. The media server is just really a small, component sized, Windows box which allows me to stream music, vids, etc...via the Internet as well as music playback from my own files.

No it is not a Raspberry Pi. More than likely a mini PC board with Celeron or other low end Intel CPU..

You cannot get rid of your physical media if you digitize it. That goes against the 'Fair Use' clause of the DMCA.

But you can box it up and shove it in the back of a closet, rather than having to shelve it all in an accessible location near your gear. Also, ripped CDs don't ever skip.

Back
Top Bottom