1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Music streamer/DAC opinions and set up

Discussion in 'DACs' started by trinhsman, Nov 25, 2018.

1. trinhsman

trinhsman AK Subscriber Subscriber

i have a chance to get a decent Music Streamer/DAC combo. It has RCA audio outs. I’m kind of a simple 2 channel guy and don’t do a lot of music library type of stuff. Mostly just Pandora and a bit of other internet streaming. This unit can do wireless, and that’s the only way I would want to hook it up. My equipment is listed in my signature. I would hook it RCA’s out to my Preamps RCA’s in. Then set up the wireless connection to stream.
    QUESTION: Am I wasting my time and money? I already can stream Pandora through my OPPO, so just want to know if I am wasting money and time. The cost of the Music Streamer/DAC combo is just under 900 dollars used and has really good reviews.
    Thoughts.??

Please register to disable this ad.

2. Poultrygeist

Poultrygeist Lunatic Member

I use a much less expensive option which will give equal or better results.

Chrome Cast Audio ( $35 ) streaming Pandora via mini optical cable into a Topping D30 DAC ( $110 ).

CCA is wireless and not compressed like some others and controlled by phone, tablet etc.

3. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

$15 CCA at Google Store all (Black Friday) weekend.

4. Poultrygeist

Thanks I just ordered another one

awillia6 likes this.
  5. awillia6

awillia6 Super Member

I nailed a pair myself earlier in the week. Great gizmos!

6. CKDC

CKDC AK Subscriber Subscriber

Does Pandora stream hi-res?

That might be a stumbling block. Consider Tidal or Qobuz.

The Chromecast is pretty decent but not without issue(for me at least.)

I like my Bluseound Node 2 and am thinking of getting a Node 2 i for my second system.

Audiofreak71 likes this.

7. Audiofreak71

Audiofreak71 Boerboelicious Subscriber

If your oppo does Upnp then all you have to do is download Mconnect from the App Store and you can stream pandora, Tidal, Qobuz, your computer library etc . Your 105d is better than most streamers out there , I use my udp-203 this way and it’s seamless and sound outstanding.

Audiofreak71

8. trinhsman

trinhsman AK Subscriber Subscriber

Could I plug the Cromecast into my Oppo, then get the app on my phone and stream from my phone to my Oppo? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I have never done any of this.

9. Audiofreak71

Yes you can use chromecast and I ran mine that way for awhile but when I discovered I could use the oppo direct for streaming via the mconnect app i found it to be much easier and it puts all your music in one app . It acts much like Roon. You can check right now if your oppo has upnp connection , by downloading the mconnect app and streaming from whatever streaming service you use . Or I suppose you can just look it up if the 105d has the upnp capabilities.

Audiofreak71

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  10. Poultrygeist

Here's my hockey puck Chrome Cast Audio ( in the middle ) streaming to a Topping D30. The box it's attached to is a Shure cart box. I originally had it inside the box but that masked it's WiFi signal.

P1010036.jpg

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  11. Wildcat

Wildcat Audio Sommelier Subscriber

The old 105 does, and I use it as such daily for several hours. I need to check out that MConnect app just for kicks.

Audiofreak71 likes this.

12. Audiofreak71

Yeah it works really good and consolidates your music services, hd’s Etc with a pretty decent interface as well , at $7 a month I feel it’s worth it .

Audiofreak71

Wildcat likes this.