Music to commemorate Dr. King.

My favorite is Alabama by John Coltrane. Coltrane wrote the song ‘Alabama’ in response to this event and patterned his playing in the song after Martin Luther King’s speech at the funeral for the four girls. I played this yesterday as a prelude at church on the B-3 to stunned silence from the congregation. I have a transcription of the Coltrane solo and have practiced this piece for years and this was the first time I played it.

http://youtu.be/cOjxBuwBUEE
Yes, oh, yes. This, and the speech to the march on Washington, and a read of letters from a Birmingham jail. Plus tears, rage, and revelation...

iOAICfE.png

61x5aP85fmL._SS400_.jpg

A Message From The People -- CD

Ray Charles

1972/2009 Concord Records

It was 1972, the turbulent ‘60s were winding down, and the music world was about to fork off in several directions: the soft rock of James Taylor and Carole King, the outlaw country of Waylon and Willie and soon . . . Disco.

America was on people’s minds: Don McLean with “American Pie” and there was even a band named America. Our nation was at war in Vietnam; we had landed on the moon. African-Americans were emboldened and encouraged by the progress they were achieving. The album A Message From the People, produced by Ray and recorded at his RPM International Studio, contained a song that did not chart at the time, but went on to become one of his best loved recordings: “America the Beautiful.” He would perform it countless times on TV and in live concert for the rest of his life.

“Mr. Charles wanted A Message From the People to include 'America the Beautiful' because of his tremendous love for our country,” stated Valerie Ervin, President of the Ray Charles Foundation. “Throughout his career he performed 'America' at a Super Bowl, a World Series game and for seven U.S. Presidents,” she added.

On May 5th, Concord Records will reissue, in its entirety, this landmark album for the first time on CD and digital download as part of its extensive reissue program of Ray Charles’s post-1960 catalog which, as part of his deal with ABC-Paramount Records, was owned and controlled by Ray himself. A Message From the People is the first in a series of albums to be reissued by Concord, which will include his classics Modern Sounds in Country & Western Music, Volumes 1 and 2; The Genius Hits the Road and Genius + Soul = Jazz, among others. For A Message From the People, Ray chose some of the world’s finest musicians including Freddie Hubbard, Ray Brown and Jean “Toots” Thielemans. The charts were written by his old friends Quincy Jones and Sid Feller, plus TV soundtrack meister Mike Post.

The songs Ray selected include “Lift Every Voice and Sing,” also known as the Black National Anthem; Dion DiMucci’s hit, “Abraham, Martin and John”; “Stevie Wonder’s plea for brotherly love, “Heaven Help Us All”; “John Denver’s loving ode to America’s heartland, “Take Me Home, Country Roads”; and Melanie’s “Look What They’ve Done To My Song, Ma,” which was also a hit single for Ray. Ray even came up with the idea for the album’s cover featuring the faces of Abe Lincoln, Dr. Martin Luther King and Jack and Bobby Kennedy, and commissioned artist Al Willis to bring it to fruition.

1. Lift Every Voice and Sing
2. Seems Like I Gotta Go Wrong
3. Heaven Help Us All
4. There'll Be No Peace Without All Men As One
5. Hey Mister
6. What Have They Done to My Song
7. Abraham, Martin and John
8. Take Me Home, Country Roads
9. Every Saturday Night
10. America the Beautiful

I've always wanted to get his version of "Abraham, Martin, and John". Thanks for the info...

Nina Simone.."Why? (The King of Love is Dead),"

(From NPR)...
Remembering Nina Simone's Tribute to the Rev. Martin Luther King. Jr.

April 6, 2008 - Three days after the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated in 1968, performer Nina Simone and her band played at the Westbury Music Festival on Long Island, N.Y. They performed "Why? (The King of Love is Dead)," a song they had just learned, written by their bass player Gene Taylor in reaction to King's death.

Simone's brother, Samuel Waymon, who was on stage playing the organ, talks with Lynn Neary about that day and reaction to the civil rights leader's assassination.

"We learned that song that (same) day," says Waymon. "We didn't have a chance to have two or three days of rehearsal. But when you're feeling compassion and outrage and wanting to express what you know the world is feeling, we did it because that's what we felt."

Waymon and the band's performance of "Why? (Then King of Love is Dead)" lasted nearly 15 minutes as Nina Simone sang, played and sermonized about the loss everyone was feeling.

The song later appeared on several greatest-hits collections, most recently on the Anthology release from

That is an amazing song...

Back
Top Bottom