Musical Paradise MP-301 MK3 Opinions

Discussion in 'Tube Audio' started by rayray83, Nov 17, 2014.

1. rayray83

rayray83 New Member

Hi Folks,

I am looking to het my first tube amp and looking to try out the Mp-301. I have read many reviews on them and a few reviews have noted that the amp may not be good for certain times of music. I was wondering if any owners could elaborate on that for me.

I listen to absolutely all types of music from opera to metal and music from different countries even if I do not understand what they are saying lol

Not expecting the world from a amp in this price range but am wondering if different tubes would make a difference with some genres.

The amp would be powering either klipsch KG 5.2 or Tangent 4000 (96-97db) or my pioneer bs-22-lr. Thanks in advance!

Cheers
    Ray

Please register to disable this ad.

2. rogerfederer

rogerfederer AK Subscriber Subscriber

not sure what types of music it would not be good at. maybe related to the its power output and reviewers wanting to use inefficient speakers?

i had one for a while till i bought a scratch built 6L6 amp; really nice! lots of tube rolling options.

3. grib

grib New Member

I bought this amp two years ago and I can say it's the best amp I ever owned.
    Before I had a NAD C320-BEE, a Yamaha RX-396, a Technics SU-8080.
    This little tube amp sound far away better than the three SS above.
    With your 96-97Db speakers, you'll have more than enough power (I can't put the volume more than 5/10 and it's very loud with my 91Db speakers).
    With my speakers (Mosscade 502) and my TT (custom Lenco L-75), Shuguang EL-34 power tubes are very good with modern rock and classical, but pretty bad with 60's and 70's rock and not very good with Jazz.
    Gold Lion KT66 are very good on Jazz, 60's and 70's rock, pretty good on modern rock (but not as good as EL34) and less (but not bad) with classical, its the tubes I use everyday 'cause they are more versatile for me.

4. WobblySam

WobblySam Well-Known Member

I'll echo the two previous comments. Not good on certain types of music? Sounds like a bit of audio snobbery perhaps. I've had my 301 for about 18 months. I got it more for a headphone amp than a regular amp and more as an experiment with Chinese audio than something I really wanted/needed.

Well, I do use it as a headphone amp and it works quite well. As an integrated amp, well it has turned out to be the most fun I've had with audio in years. I had little expectation that 6wpc would be good for anything. I'm a solid state guy and my primary system is bi-amped at 200wpc. So, a little mindset change was in order and it's been well worth it. I have mine connected to a cheap pair of Polk Monitor 35B speakers and I get a kick out of listening to it more than my main system.

Tubes? I've been enjoying a tube experiment for about 16 months now. I'm currently evaluating my 12th pair of power tubes and I have two more sets to follow. Pardon my "southern", but it's been a hoot.

I don't know what your expectations may be, but the 301 is a fine little amp. Just keep in mind that it's a 6wpc amp and based on the speakers you mentioned, it should do quite well.

Anyway, that's my opinion.

Good luck

5. rayray83

rayray83 New Member

Thanks for the info guys!

I pulled the trigger:D Cant wait to get my hands on it lol

I went with the EL-34's and the Telephunken EF86 with adaptors. I will try some KT66 and KT88's over the next couple months to see what suits my ears/system.

Looking forward to tube rolling and spinning all my favourite records again:music:

Cheers
    Ray

6. WobblySam

WobblySam Well-Known Member

I think you're going to be happy with it. You might want to add the Valve Art 350B to your tube list. They are not too expensive and they are one of my favorites so far. Antique Radio Supply sells them.
    Let us know your impressions after about 40 - 50 hours of listening.

7. rogerfederer

rogerfederer AK Subscriber Subscriber

i really enjoyed 6BG6 (need adapters). very detailed, lot of air...

8. Bikenut

Bikenut New Member

I've had a MP-301 mkII for almost 2 years now. Love this little beast. Can drive most speakers to well beyond normal listening levels. I've rolled a number of different type tubes, and have found I like 6L6 types the most. Although the JJ KT77 I'm using for a few months may be the new favourite, really like them. This amp, with input from my Audio Note Dac, and the full range speakers with Mark Audio drivers sound sweet. The amp and Dac have made my digital music sound so great. Haven't turned on my expensive CD player in a long time.
    Enjoy your new amp, I'm sure you will.

9. AudioSoul

AudioSoul Super Member

I have owned my MP-301 mk3 for a few months now. I am driving a pair of M-Lores (93db) and am very happy with how they sound. I listen to all kinds of music to. I was especially surprised how much bass this combo can put out. I have not listened to it with the stock tubes, I installed Gold Lion Kt-66's right off. I am sure you will like the MP-301 mk3.....

10. rayray83

rayray83 New Member

I would like to have a tube combo that separates the instruments and keeps them as raw if thats even possible.

Have any of you tried an upgraded power cable?

also when you ordered did you get a email with shipping details or anything?

Cheers
    Ray

11. AudioSoul

AudioSoul Super Member

Actually I had to contact them for shipping details. I waited about a week before I emailed them. They are not so good communicators over there. I already had a thick power cord that I used. I never used the one that came with the amp so I have no comparison.......

12. Bikenut

Bikenut New Member

I've used the power cord that came with the amp. Never had a reason to consider using anything else.
    I live in Canada and MP is based in Edmonton. When I ordered the amp it shipped from Edmonton, although made in China. I think some of the products ship from China to the customer. I did receive a tracking number for Canada Post when I ordered. It was in stock and I got mine in a couple of days as I recall. The amp and tubes were packaged very well, doubled boxed, with foam. No problems, just put the tubes in, turned it on and started enjoying it.

13. rayray83

rayray83 New Member

Just thought I would give you guys an update.

I've had the amp for about a a week now and am pretty happy with my purchase:) Shipping was 2 days from Hong Kong to my door! I ordered the 301 with EL34's and NOS Mullard EF86 tubes with adapters.

I set the amp up in my garage with my iPod and my pioneer bs22lr with the stock el34's for the initial start up and ran it for a few hours just make sure it was working correctly before installing my more expensive tubes.

I had purchased a pair of Psvane Treasure MKII 6CA7 Grey bottles and replaced the stock el34's and ran the amp for 12 hours a day for 4 days with the psvanes until I brought it into my house to give things a real listen. All I can say is WOW! I hooked the 301 up to my Klipsch RF-52 MkII's(big klipsch fan) and played a few of my favourite records and heard things I never knew where there. Very smooth and warm with lots of detail:)

I also bought a matched pair of GL KT66 on black friday and have about 10 hours on them but am not liking there sound yet. I find them extremely flat and sloppy and have a excessive echoing effect. Ill give them more time before I make my decision on them but right now i prefer the psvanes hand down!

On black friday I also Bought the musical paradise MP-P1 Phono stage. Only have a few hours on it at the moment but it blows my old Rega mini fono and my Yaqin MS-22B out of the water! The MP-P1 is a tank!

Cheers
    Ray

14. canuckaudiog

canuckaudiog On a quest for high fidelity

I found the exact same thing with the KT66 tubes, I did not like how they sounded in the MP-301 at all.

15. rowingcoach

rowingcoach Active Member

I bought the MP301 Mk III as my first Tube amp. I really appreciate the self baising. I think I have every type of tube this amp can take. Messing around with the combinations of pre amp and power tubes is fun and depending on what music I am listening to at the time I can "tune" the amp to the sound I want.

Actually, the tubes that came with the amp sound pretty good and I am back to using them. I am not sure why that is but they sound very nice to my ears.

I use the MP301 with the Little Bear RiAA phono tube amp. They make a good combo.

I have used them mainly with JBL l112 speakers. I can get the knob well past the 12 noon position and even with the stock tubes it sounds very good with Led Zep vinyl.

The other thing I like about it is how well built it is. It is heavy, it has handles, and the finish is good. The knobs and switches are very heavy solid built. I have no fear this thing will last 50+ years

16. dmitchell

dmitchell Member

17. kray

kray HE>i Subscriber

Just wanted to resurrect this thread. Been using my MP301 MK3 about 1 month now and love it.

Got the upgrade bug and found this thread: Mods for MP301

Have a local guy thats going to upgrade most of the caps for me including coupling caps to Mundorf Supremes. Let you know how it goes.

For those still using the MP301, what is your favorite tube? I've been very happy with the Tung Sol 7581A, but looking to roll soon. Ebay has a 20% promo right now so wanted to order a new pair of tubes. Thinking maybe GL KT-88's

18. fredgarvin

fredgarvin AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm using the RCA 6sj7 metal signal tubes and shuagang EL34's. I was considering those Tung Sol's you have but I think I'll try some EH kt88's first. I like the EL34's, but I'm thinking the Kt88 might give a bit more bass punch and a little more top. I'm guessing they will retain the good mid sound better than some other types. I'm in no hurry, tubes are a bit spendy these days.

19. Smitty43

Smitty43 AK Subscriber Subscriber

Love my little Musical paradise MP301 and it currently pushing some JBL L110 speakers. I also use it with the Zu Omens.

20. fredgarvin

fredgarvin AK Subscriber Subscriber

I've been using the Tung Sol 7581A for a couple of days, all in all I think it's better for my setup than the Shuguang EL34. What it does lack is that extra bit of mid goodness. I do miss that and it's dimensional sound however that extra upper mid presence could be irritating on some material with my horns. The horns don't need extra presence. The bass is tighter but I think not as extended sounding either. Up top it's a wash. I guess the linearity of the 7581A works out best. I may try some KT88's in an attempt to get more bass, they too are more linear than the EL34.

kray likes this.