Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3

I received my MP-301 MK3 "Deluxe" in what was probably the quickest delivery from Hong Kong I have ever experienced (2-3 days).

My MK3 was ordered with Shuguang 6L6GC / 6J8PJ tubes and the MP headphone cord for my Grado cans.

Right now I am listening to some Jazz-Rock/Fusion music (source OPPO BDP-95 [w/SACDs]) with a pair of Fostex P1000-E DIY Kanspea 4" Full Range Speaker Kit I assembled myself with the FE103En (8Ω/89dB) drivers.

I replaced the original AC power cord with a more chunky PS Audio Jewel [IEC] cord I happened to have available.

In my present temporary listening location (14'x16' room) the amp is plenty loud! My intent is to relocate this setup for use as desk top computer speakers so I know there is plenty of power for that.

So far I am really "diggin'" this amp!

Last edited:
I am about to receive my MP-301 MK3 2013 Deluxe tomorrow. I wanted to check your thoughts if I can use a pair of speakers with 85db sensitivity like the Pioneer SP BR22 LR. Any comment will be appreciated.

Might as well try. How big is your room? How loud do you listen?

I've run mine with ar5s, which have similar sensitivity, but I'm also using an extra preamp (to manage all my inputs) so I have extra gain from that.

Probably will be a stretch.

Finally got my MP-301 SWEEET!!!!!!

Might as well try. How big is your room? How loud do you listen?

I've run mine with ar5s, which have similar sensitivity, but I'm also using an extra preamp (to manage all my inputs) so I have extra gain from that.

Probably will be a stretch.

So my unit arrived 3 days ago. Nicely wrapped, I should say. For the tubes, I got a 6P3S instead of the shuguang 6L6. I has a 6n3c written on it but it seemed Russian. Garry of MP explained it is indeed Russian and I got lucky as they run out of the shuguang 6L6. The other tube is shuguang with a sticker saying 3.60. I set up the amp and after 2 hours of playing, it played so sweet allowing me to hear details from my CDs that I haven't heard before.

The vocals did fly, the mids and highs were great and even the lows came out from (get this) a lowly Infinity Primus 143 with an 85db sensitivity rating. I will be in the hunt for the right speakers but for now, I am marinating on the sweet sound of my new amp. I also got the cable adapter for the headphones that MP offers. It worked fine with my Grado SR 60 headphone.

The amp sits in the master's bedroom and is currently mated to my Marantz cd5001, Yamaha Tuner TX 492 and will soon try my Project Debut III tt. As you can deduce from my equipment, I am an entry level audiophile guy and budget is an issue. But thanks to Garry Huang and Musical Paradise I have been given the chance to have a vacuum tube amp.

I ran across this thread on the net. I was so impressed by all the positive posts that I ordered the MP-301 mk3 deluxe last night. I will be pairing this amp with Tekton M-Lore 95db speakers. My room is 15x21 so I hope I get room filling sound from this 6 watt per channel amp. We shall see.....

6 wpc for 95 db speakers are a gracious plenty.

I was thinking in terms of a review. Do you have one of these Mr. Poultrygeist?
I've read your various posts on the InterWeb forums regarding your love for the Miniwatt N3. What do you favor now? That is, I know you're an SE aficionado. What's your daily driver?

I was thinking in terms of a review. Do you have one of these Mr. Poultrygeist?
I've read your various posts on the InterWeb forums regarding your love for the Miniwatt N3. What do you favor now? That is, I know you're an SE aficionado. What's your daily driver?

I don't have the MP but from all I've read I know I'd like it.

None of my SET amps make more than 3.5 wpc which is plenty for my speakers which range from 93dbs to 98dbs.

I still enjoy the Miniwatt but my daily drivers are the 2a3 Bottleheads and the Dared MP-2a3c.

Of late I've been smitten with the $20 TPA3116 chip amp that when paired with a $50 Guanzo tube preamp is very SET like.

Of late I've been smitten with the $20 TPA3116 chip amp that when paired with a $50 Guanzo tube preamp is very SET like.

Curious! I have a TPA3118 SMSL that I've found to be kind of fair to middling.
Sounds like a fun experiment.

Sorry about the left turn at Albuquerque, AKers.

Would it be possible to make a list of confirmed compatible preamp and power tube for the MP-301 that are not listed on the MP website? A lil cheat sheet for tube newbs like me :)

Cheers
Ray

Curious! I have a TPA3118 SMSL that I've found to be kind of fair to middling.
Sounds like a fun experiment.

Sorry about the left turn at Albuquerque, AKers.

I can only vouch for the 3116 and 3110 paired with the 6n3 tube preamp. You can read the experience of many others on the giant thread under modern.

Never heard a 3118 but believe it's an older chip set.

Would it be possible to make a list of confirmed compatible preamp and power tube for the MP-301 that are not listed on the MP website? A lil cheat sheet for tube newbs like me :)

Cheers
Ray

The list at the bottom of the product page is pretty complete. As far as preamp tubes go, I've only used the 6SJ7s. NOS versions are easy to come by and not too expensive.
For power tubes, I would add the 350b to the list. There are a lot of 6L6 variants - new production tubes - that will work just fine. NOS tubes have gotten progressively more expensive as the supply dwindles. I've used everything on the list except KT77s and all have worked just fine.

Give your amp about 150 - 200 hours of use before you start seriously evaluating different tubes.

I wanna Roll!

Hey guys

I won a couple of fantasy football pools and got some money to play with:banana: I'm looking at trying some KT88's/6550 or possible 350B's.

Any recommendations?

I currently have sylvania 6sj7wgt in the preamp section and have GL KT66's and Psvane treasure MKII 6CA7's. Both sound good but not as rich as I would prefer.
I use klipsch speakers so something not overly bright is preferred.

Cheers
Ray

Hello!
I just bought the amp, but it will be delayed because of the Chinese holidays and now the West Coast ports are on strike.
I did order a few tubes to roll. Everyone seems to lean toward the K66 or K88 so i ordered a JJ 6550 and a 6SJ7GT and i will see how they sound.
First tube device and looking forward to building a system!

Ok, the 6sj7GT came broke, returned it. Ordered a pair of 6SJ7WGT Sylvania black plate.

Last edited:
Hey guys

I won a couple of fantasy football pools and got some money to play with:banana: I'm looking at trying some KT88's/6550 or possible 350B's.

Any recommendations?

I currently have sylvania 6sj7wgt in the preamp section and have GL KT66's and Psvane treasure MKII 6CA7's. Both sound good but not as rich as I would prefer.
I use klipsch speakers so something not overly bright is preferred.

Cheers
Ray

I've tried about 14 different pairs of tubes over the past 18 months in my 301. I really wasn't expecting to hear a lot of difference but I've been surprised at what I've heard.

The Valve Art 350b's are pretty good tubes. Listening through speakers, they are some of the most musical sounding tubes I've listened to. Hyper-critical listening through headphones reveal that they can get a little lost on finer details. But with speakers, they are just fun - solid full bodied sound.

The Tung Sol 6550's are a good bet - both speaker and headphone listening.
I hate to mention the Winged C 6L6G's because they have gotten so expensive. I bought a quad early last year for $140. These sound quite good - both with headphones and speakers.

For me, the Valve Art KT66's are the least enjoyable of all my tubes. Everything sounds somewhat "brittle". Other KT66's may be better - I don't know.

To avoid any arguments, please note that this just my opinion about what I've heard listening to the types of music I enjoy. Your experience may differ.

I hope this gives you some information about what you were looking for.
Good luck and enjoy your 301 - I sure do.

I have had mine for almost 2 years now, have not done a crazy amount of tube rolling, I will note that for a while the the stock preamp tubes sounded nice but as they got some hours on them as in 100+ they really got closed in sounding and harsh, currently I am running rca 6sj7 and a pair of new production Tung-Sol 6L6G big bulb, sounds pretty good, however I still prefer the sound of the GL KT66..

Has anyone tried The 717A in the preamp section, it is listed as a possible replacement, neat looking tube, a little pricey but might consider it if someone has any experience

Back
Top Bottom