Musical Paradise MP-301 Mk3

I can DIY but might not have the time. So I'm guessing some of the tube that work in the MKIII might not work in the MKII?

Have this amp for about 4 months now. Started with the stock tubes. Very good sound, but this only made the imperfections more apparent. Static is very annoying. Not too loud but very distracting.

Got some old EL34s by Westinghouse out of the closet to replace the stock 6L6. Instant dynamic range boost. But, mids are a bit more shrill. Still better than stock unit. Also, slightly less static or maybe it's placebo effect.

Orderd WE 717A and a power cable with center pin removed. After I installed these, the static disappeared. And, I gained a bit more tube smoothness or should I say tube smotherness. It's not bad but a bit claustrophobic.

My system continued to improve as I replaced my laptop with a somewhat dedicated audio PC, an R-core PSU for the PC and new speaker cables. Each upgrade is a definite step in the right direction. Only thing remaining that I didn't like is a slight hardness in the midrange.

Today, Amperex 807 arrived. Installed it with a 807 to 6L6 converter. It replaces the EL34. Dynamics and soundstage reduced. But, in a good way. Sound is more enveloping and involving rather than bigger wider and taller. Midrange is more resolving and has more of that lingering trailing note.

sorry to necro but thanks for the info on the amp guys.

And a year later...I'm enjoying this amp with my Quartets. I opted to use the Shuguang EL34's and I rolled out the stock driver tubes for NOS RCA black tubes. The stock driver tubes were very bright in my rig but the RCA sound nice, although with some noise at idle. After they warm up for a few minutes the noise diminishes significantly. The bass response is quite good for an EL34 and the soundstage, clarity, is hard to turn off. I have to say that if one has efficient speakers this tube amp is a mind blower for it's price.

Hi, this is my first post on AudioKarma. Today I ordered my MP-301 and I'm excited to get it (how long to the U.S from China?). A few weeks ago I bought my first tube amp through Amazon (Gemini Doctor is the seller), a Gemtune X-1. While I believe the sound is outstanding, once the honeymoon elation was over I began to notice a 60hz hum. Gemini Doctor responded to my email about the hum immediately and made a few suggestions, none of which worked. So, I sent it back for a replacement. Well, the second X-1 is humming MUCH worse, making it unlistenable at the low, bedroom levels I am listening at most of the time. A little research led me to the MP and I ordered one today. When I asked Garry to please confirm that this amp is "dead quiet" (many people reviewed the Gemtune as "dead quite"...I guess they got lucky), he assured me that it was. When I told him that my main desire is for a wide sound-stage, realistic imaging with 3D sound, he told me the stock tubes would be fine. However, he also mentioned that I should upgrade the stock tubes to Gold Lion KT77 / KT66 and RCA 6SJ7, but he added "later". So, I'm guessing he meant I should break the amp in for some time before upgrading tubes.

I'm interested in comments here as to the most desirable tubes (at reasonable price) for wide, deep, 3D soundstage. BTW, with this rig I will be streaming Tidal through a Chromecast Audio with a Toslink optical cable (which bypasses the Chromecast's DAC) into a Parasound Zdac. I use 92db Martin Logan LX16's with a REL Strata III Subwoofer connected "speaker level" from the main speaker terminals. Many thanks for your advice...

Hi, this is my first post on AudioKarma. Today I ordered my MP-301 and I'm excited to get it (how long to the U.S from China?). A few weeks ago I bought my first tube amp through Amazon (Gemini Doctor is the seller), a Gemtune X-1. While I believe the sound is outstanding, once the honeymoon elation was over I began to notice a 60hz hum. Gemini Doctor responded to my email about the hum immediately and made a few suggestions, none of which worked. So, I sent it back for a replacement. Well, the second X-1 is humming MUCH worse, making it unlistenable at the low, bedroom levels I am listening at most of the time. A little research led me to the MP and I ordered one today. When I asked Garry to please confirm that this amp is "dead quiet" (many people reviewed the Gemtune as "dead quite"...I guess they got lucky), he assured me that it was. When I told him that my main desire is for a wide sound-stage, realistic imaging with 3D sound, he told me the stock tubes would be fine. However, he also mentioned that I should upgrade the stock tubes to Gold Lion KT77 / KT66 and RCA 6SJ7, but he added "later". So, I'm guessing he meant I should break the amp in for some time before upgrading tubes.

I'm interested in comments here as to the most desirable tubes (at reasonable price) for wide, deep, 3D soundstage. BTW, with this rig I will be streaming Tidal through a Chromecast Audio with a Toslink optical cable (which bypasses the Chromecast's DAC) into a Parasound Zdac. I use 92db Martin Logan LX16's with a REL Strata III Subwoofer connected "speaker level" from the main speaker terminals. Many thanks for your advice...
Hi nspeer, it took a week for mine to arrive. I would suggest you order RCA 6sj7 now because the stock tube is very bright. Unless you have speakers that need some waking up in the upper registers. My amp has no hum although the RCA's I'm using have a bit of noise, no hum. Nothing you'll hear when playing music. It does soundstage very well, with a good 3d effect.

So, I'm guessing he meant I should break the amp in for some time before upgrading tubes.

Congrats on the 301. I've had one for about 4 years and still think it's the best little "cheap" tube amp around. I've evaluated about 15 different pairs of output tubes in it over the years and found that some tubes DO change the sound. Whether the change is good or bad is a matter of personal preference. NOS tubes are believed to contain magic elixirs that give them sonic qualities not available in current production tubes. You'll find that this elixir comes sometimes at staggering prices. For those who believe, pay the high prices and install those tubes, I think they are having a ball and getting a great deal of enjoyment from their amp. No argument from me. For my part, I've found the "Winged C" EL34 and 6L6GC tubes to be the most neutral in the 301. Again, that's just my personal observation after listening to 15 different pairs of tubes.

Your desire for staging might be something you want to dig into a little more. I'm not familiar with your speakers or the sub. But the 301 has limited power. 5 or 6 watts in a Class A topology. Don't expect miracles from it.

Staging is a psycho-acoustic effect. It has more to do with the placement of your speakers, your listening location with respect to speaker placement, room shape/acoustic properties and a whole bunch to do with the source material. The majority of studio recorded music has no stage. One can be fabricated by the engineer during the mix. The qualities of that stage as you would perceive it has a lot to do with the engineer and the content of the music itself. A well recorded live symphony performance with a sound guy who knows mike placement can provide spectacular results. So, I don't know what kind of music you listen to, but temper your expectations based on your selections. I don't want to ruffle the feathers of those who believe that the tubes in your amp will transform a poorly mixed performance into audio nirvana, but personally I wouldn't bank on it.

But, do take the time to run the amp in - maybe about 30 power cycles to weed out any infant mortality issues and 80 or 90 hours of playing music. I put about 150 hours on mine before doing any tube swapping, but proceed at your own pace. Again, I think you'll be pleased with the 301.

Hi nspeer, it took a week for mine to arrive. I would suggest you order RCA 6sj7 now because the stock tube is very bright. Unless you have speakers that need some waking up in the upper registers. My amp has no hum although the RCA's I'm using have a bit of noise, no hum. Nothing you'll hear when playing music. It does soundstage very well, with a good 3d effect.

Looks like the RCAs have black metal covers. Aw shucks, how am I going to enjoy watching that beautiful orange tube glue? Think the JAN Sylvania black plate 6SJ7WGT will do the trick as well?

Looks like the RCAs have black metal covers. Aw shucks, how am I going to enjoy watching that beautiful orange tube glue? Think the JAN Sylvania black plate 6SJ7WGT will do the trick as well?
Maybe. Only trying will tell. Another one I haven't tried but has some good notices is the EF86, Telefunken, Tesla.

Kray, mine is a refurb and does not day "2018 Edition"

Cool. That's the one I got as well. Amazing value for the money. I'm spending $250 upgrading the major Caps in it (including labor), which a lot of people say (that have done it) puts it in the $1000 tube amp performance range.

So, I'm looking for RCA 6sj7 tubes on Ebay. What would be a good Hickok test score on a tube ?
Any suggestions for a good source of reliable tubes besides Ebay?

Last edited:
So, I'm looking for RCA 6sj7 tubes on Ebay. What would be a good Hickok test score on a tube ?
I got mine on Ebay, they tested a 71 and 73. 40 is minimum recommended. The prices I've seen are good, it's not a rare tube at all. The red 5693 is rarer and about 3x the price.

I know the bay is faster, more options, but i got my NOS RCA's and Red 5693's here on AK Bartertown, and cheaper than the bay.

There a a ton of great tube sellers on the bay, and the good ones will list all test results compared to new, etc. Like what Fred said, they will give you the test score, what the minimum is and usually what tests as new. the NOS RCA's and Reds are also built like a tank, no glass so i wouldn't be too worried as long as the test results show good.

Last edited:
Nice little vote of confidence...

I took my MP to a local audio repair guy, that’s been doing it for 40yrs, to upgrade some caps on my MP. I took the bottom plate off and he looked it over for a good minute or two without saying anything. He then asked where it’s from. I told him guy in Canada designs it and has it built in China. He said they did a great job. “Normally the Chinese stuff is crap, but you can tell this was a good one. Much better parts, great PCB board, and good soldering”

So now patiently waiting to get it back to pair with my new Zu Omen DW’s

Nice little vote of confidence...

I took my MP to a local audio repair guy, that’s been doing it for 40yrs, to upgrade some caps on my MP. I took the bottom plate off and he looked it over for a good minute or two without saying anything. He then asked where it’s from. I told him guy in Canada designs it and has it built in China. He said they did a great job. “Normally the Chinese stuff is crap, but you can tell this was a good one. Much better parts, great PCB board, and good soldering”

So now patiently waiting to get it back to pair with my new Zu Omen DW’s

That's great to know, Kray. I ordered on 4/29, but I have not received any indication that it's been shipped. I guess I'll get an email....

Right on schedule, I just received a notice from DHL. Delivery is Friday!
Today's the big day?

I've put Tung-Sol 7581-A in the power section. It's a more linear presentation in my horns. They're in the same family as the 6L6. The EL83's were a tad too aggressive in the upper mids.

Today's the big day?

I've put Tung-Sol 7581-A in the power section. It's a more linear presentation in my horns. They're in the same family as the 6L6. The EL83's were a tad too aggressive in the upper mids.

So far those 7581a's are my preferred. Gonna try another 6L6, and prob KT77/88

EL83?

Back
Top Bottom