Musical Surroundings MyDACII Experience

Helom

Anyone have experience with this DAC?

My experiences with cheaper DACs is that they all sound alike. Apparently this one uses equalization to create an analog-like sound.

I don't mind if a component colors the sound, I'd just like to find a DAC that takes the edge off of my streamed music.

What do you stream and how (PC/phone, which DAC, etc.)?
Mostly Spotify through a Bose wireless receiver, but I would also like to improve the sound from my CDs. I've been using the built-in DAC in my Parsound Halo

Looks like the Halo line is using decent Sabre and Burr Brown DACs and should be pretty good as far as mainstream DACs go. If your chain allows it you could try adding a tube buffer and experiment with different tubes. Some find that non-oversampling DACs help to remove the edge off. No experience with the DAC in question, but sounds like an interesting concept.

And btw, from the description of MyDACII I don't think it is using equalization to color the sound or at least this wasn't the intention of the designer. What happens is that the digital processing amplifies certain parts of the spectrum and/or signal levels to keep the DAC chip operating within its more linear region, then these "corrections" are stripped by the analog stage. It is interesting how precisely analog de-emphasis matches digital pre-emphasis, so yes in the end there can be some coloration byproduct. Metrum Acoustics uses a similar approach in their higher end units, but instead of pre-emphasis they split the digital signal and use 2 DAC chips and finally sum the resulting output.

See if you can sample a Metrum Acoustics Amethyst, should be about he same price as the MyDACII. I like the Musette, which is the previous generation. Not digital sounding at all and no digital trickery inside. They use custom-made R2R modules instead of a delta-sigma chips such as in the MyDAII. Some are fundamentally opposed to NOS sound, do some research about it to better understand pros and cons.

Thanks
See if you can sample a Metrum Acoustics Amethyst, should be about he same price as the MyDACII. I like the Musette, which is the previous generation. Not digital sounding at all and no digital trickery inside. They use custom-made R2R modules instead of a delta-sigma chips such as in the MyDAII. Some are fundamentally opposed to NOS sound, do some research about it to better understand pros and cons.
Thanks. I've read a little about them but will look into it further.

I've just realized that the Metrum Acoustics' FPGA forward-corrected Dual-DAC technology has tricked down from their $3-5k units to the Amethyst I mentioned. I knew it used newer DAC modules but the fact each modules actually has 2 physical DACs inside didn't occur to me. This is way more superior tech to solve the same kind of problems as the MyDACII is trying to solve with pre/de-emphasis, and for the same amount of money. Not to mention it comes from a well recognized company and has good resale value. The only caveat being Metrum only makes NOS DACs.

What sound quality settings are you using on Spotify?

Audio quality settings
Spotify uses 3 quality ratings:

• ~96 kbps
    Normal quality on mobile

• ~160 kbps
    Desktop and web player standard quality
    High quality on mobile

• ~320 kbps (Premium only)
    Desktop high quality
    Extreme quality on mobile
There is also a EQ built into Spotify but I am not sure it is available on all phones. If you can access it, try taking a bit off of the hi frequencies to reduce the edge.

Last edited:
What sound quality settings are you using on Spotify?

Audio quality settings
Spotify uses 3 quality ratings:

• ~96 kbps
    Normal quality on mobile

• ~160 kbps
    Desktop and web player standard quality
    High quality on mobile

• ~320 kbps (Premium only)
    Desktop high quality
    Extreme quality on mobile
There is also a EQ built into Spotify but I am not sure it is available on all phones. If you can access it, try taking a bit off of the hi frequencies to reduce the edge.
I am using their highest quality option streamed through Spotify Connect. I don't think the EQ option is available when using that method.

I've just realized that the Metrum Acoustics' FPGA forward-corrected Dual-DAC technology has tricked down from their $3-5k units to the Amethyst I mentioned. I knew it used newer DAC modules but the fact each modules actually has 2 physical DACs inside didn't occur to me. This is way more superior tech to solve the same kind of problems as the MyDACII is trying to solve with pre/de-emphasis, and for the same amount of money. Not to mention it comes from a well recognized company and has good resale value. The only caveat being Metrum only makes NOS DACs.
These are definitely some intriguing DACs. I saw the Mussette model listed on a couple sites at an attractive price. Ideally I can find a DAC that produces an analog-like fluidity, yet also function as an outboard preamp. I know....asking a lot for the $1200 range.

I am using their highest quality option streamed through Spotify Connect. I don't think the EQ option is available when using that method.

Btw, how is the Bose streamer connected to the Halo, optical?

These are definitely some intriguing DACs. I saw the Mussette model listed on a couple sites at an attractive price. Ideally I can find a DAC that produces an analog-like fluidity, yet also function as an outboard preamp. I know....asking a lot for the $1200 range.

The Musette is using is using the older 16-bit Transient DAC modules, it is still pretty good and "analog" sounding to my ears but unlike the Amethyst it doesn't have the technology to specifically target the issues that MyDACII is trying to solve. One potential issue with your current setup and Metrum DACs is that it will be difficult (or rather expensive as you'd need a new device just for that) to externally over-sample the signal if you find you don't like NOS sound with 44.1kHz material (Spotify and CDs). It is a much easier task when you use a computer as a source and say using JRiver to play your content.

There are good DACs that can be used as pre-amps (volume control), and they are priced below $1,200, such as Emotiva Stealth DC-1, Teac UD-503, or maybe a used Benchmark DAC1 Pre, but I don't know if there will be a significant improvement over what's in the Halo already for your purposes.

You may want to also look into Schiit multibit DACs, they give you 15 days to audition their units but do charge a restocking fee should you decide to return it. I'd skip their 16-bit multibit offerings (the Modi and Bifrost) which brings us to Gungnir-multibit at $1,249 and 5% restocking fee + shipping on a return. It's using precise 18-bit DAC chips so you should be able to get true 16-bit resolution without issues. No volume control however.

Btw, how is the Bose streamer connected to the Halo, optical?

The Musette is using is using the older 16-bit Transient DAC modules, it is still pretty good and "analog" sounding to my ears but unlike the Amethyst it doesn't have the technology to specifically target the issues that MyDACII is trying to solve. One potential issue with your current setup and Metrum DACs is that it will be difficult (or rather expensive as you'd need a new device just for that) to externally over-sample the signal if you find you don't like NOS sound with 44.1kHz material (Spotify and CDs). It is a much easier task when you use a computer as a source and say using JRiver to play your content.

There are good DACs that can be used as pre-amps (volume control), and they are priced below $1,200, such as Emotiva Stealth DC-1, Teac UD-503, or maybe a used Benchmark DAC1 Pre, but I don't know if there will be a significant improvement over what's in the Halo already for your purposes.

You may want to also look into Schiit multibit DACs, they give you 15 days to audition their units but do charge a restocking fee should you decide to return it. I'd skip their 16-bit multibit offerings (the Modi and Bifrost) which brings us to Gungnir-multibit at $1,249 and 5% restocking fee + shipping on a return. It's using precise 18-bit DAC chips so you should be able to get true 16-bit resolution without issues. No volume control however.

Yes, the streamer is connected via toslink.

I don't have much experience using a computer as a source and it would be somewhat cumbersome IMO. I really like the ease and economics of streaming from services like Spotify, even though I know it's limited in signal quality.

I don't need a preamp function but I'm thinking an external unit would help to lower the Halo's somewhat high noise floor. I found a Mytek Stereo 192 DAC/preamp for $899. An attractive price, but for whatever reason, my intuition tells me it won't be much of an improvement.

A computer definitely requires more tinkering with to get things set up right but it also has a lot more flexibility on what you can do to fine-tune the sound, but I realize not everyone needs that.

Anyone have experience with this DAC?

My experiences with cheaper DACs is that they all sound alike. Apparently this one uses equalization to create an analog-like sound.

I don't mind if a component colors the sound, I'd just like to find a DAC that takes the edge off of my streamed music.
All sound a like? That is not my experience. I've heard lots of DAC's and to name a few ...Lampizator (all of them) Cary Audio DAC's. PS Audio DIrectstream DAC, Marantz DACs, iFI Audio DACs...and a few other DACs as well....they range from $12,000 all the way to $500. And they all sound different. Even the $500 DACs sound different from one another...and now I'm using the Marantz NA 8005 DSD DAC streamer...and its and excellent DAC. None of what I mentioned has any digital edge and all of them have more of an analog sound to them...lots of the latest DAC technology has come a long way in taking off the digital edge. Tho I've not heard the Musical Surrounding My DAC, I do own a Musical Surrounding Phono amp and the designer of the phon amp and the My DAC is Michael Yee and I'm sure he also did a fine job with the DAC as well. If you are getting digital edge perhaps it's something else in the cabling or source?

All sound a like? That is not my experience. I've heard lots of DAC's and to name a few ...Lampizator (all of them) Cary Audio DAC's. PS Audio DIrectstream DAC, Marantz DACs, iFI Audio DACs...and a few other DACs as well....they range from $12,000 all the way to $500. And they all sound different. Even the $500 DACs sound different from one another...and now I'm using the Marantz NA 8005 DSD DAC streamer...and its and excellent DAC. None of what I mentioned has any digital edge and all of them have more of an analog sound to them...lots of the latest DAC technology has come a long way in taking off the digital edge. Tho I've not heard the Musical Surrounding My DAC, I do own a Musical Surrounding Phono amp and the designer of the phon amp and the My DAC is Michael Yee and I'm sure he also did a fine job with the DAC as well. If you are getting digital edge perhaps it's something else in the cabling or source?
It's not that they sound exactly the same, but very similar. Though, I'm talking about <$300 DACs, a couple of which are built into my amp, streamer, and CD player.

My outboard units are a Musical Fidelity V90 DAC (class A rated by Stereophile, one reason I'm skeptical) and a $120 Chinese DAC, the Topping D20. I can hear almost no difference between these two PCM DACs.

I'm not one who hears much difference in cables either, but amps and speakers? Definitely. Basically, I'm wondering if spending $1200+ on a DAC can yield an improvement similar to that of upgrading from a $400 amp to a $1000 amp. I can always hear significant differences in amps.

In your experience, do cables make as significant a difference as DACs, or less?

I have a set of interconnects that retail for $950. My cheapest interconnect that I paid for is $500. Yes they make a huge difference. I think if one doesn't have hearing issues...I believe the gear may have too strong of a house sound. I experienced that with some Rotel gear I had years ago.

Back
Top Bottom