Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition

Cspiegs

Hello all. I have two recordings of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition with Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra on Columbia (M 30448 and M 31826 with the latter being a Definitive Performances recording). They both have the orange lettering on the gray background. I am curious as to which is the better pressing. To my ears, the latter sounds better, but it may be because it sounded a tad louder.

Anyone care to chime in?

My favorite recording of "Pictures" by far is the 1979 recording by Lorin Maazel and The Cleveland Orchestra on Telarc ‎(#10042). I have copies on vinyl, CD, and the limited edition Ultra HD CD, and they are all superb.

If good recordings are you cup of tea, get hold of some 50's-60's stereo or mono of Mercury recordings. Usually done with the Minneapolis orchestra, some St. Louis orchestra, and the Binghamton N.Y. orchestra.
They originated the recording technique of 3 mics. and made some spectacular recordings.

Point of order ... I believe the OP was looking for opinions on which version of the Philly/Ormandy recording was better?

(Big fan of the Tomita rendition though) ;-}

My favorite recording of "Pictures" by far is the 1979 recording by Lorin Maazel and The Cleveland Orchestra on Telarc ‎(#10042). I have copies on vinyl, CD, and the limited edition Ultra HD CD, and they are all superb.

I too have a Telarc copy. A great record/recording!

I have this on vinyl. Not too bad
s-l640.jpg

Back
Top Bottom