Mutilated Advents for $2

gonzothegreat

I was out g-sailin today and after a sale or two, I saw some large speakers with black grilles stacked up by the bumper of a late model Jaguar. I looked in back and much to my horror, they were Advent loudspeakers. I pulled off the grilles and the woofer was some nasty generic replacement. How much? $2 for the pair. I hauled them home just to see how f'ed up they sounded.

I don't trust my ears too much after the Cheap Trick/Aerosmith show I scored tix to so take this with a grain of salt. The first thing I noticed was the bass. Yeah it filled the room and shook the floor but it struck me as underdamped. I powered down the HK receiver I was using and pushed on the woofer. I've never done this with a real Advent woofer but compared to the Smaller Advent I used to have, the woofer felt looser. A lot looser. I took the woofer out and I hoped the driver was at least semi-worthy of being teamed up with the pumpkin tweeter. As I turned over the woofer to look at the back, I cringed. Radio Shack! GAAACK!!!

I'm afraid I'll have to part these guys out. The woofer hole was enlarged for the RatCrap driver and the cabs are showing signs of joint separation.

Any sugestions for what to do with the cabs to give them a proper sendoff?

Last edited:
Paint em black

And make planters out of them.It is such blasphemy to destroy pieces of history.My brother has my pair ,I don't have the room and he needed some speakers.I like going to his house.......wonder why.?

Hello, I may be interested in them. I live in Milwaukee and could probly go for a ride:zoom: What size of drivers are they? gonna go check out the BAY to find some good ones once you let me know the size... thanks man, talk to ya later.....

I have the drivers to complete those or I have better cabs if interested.

Grumpy

The cabinets are in the dumpster outside. I salvaged the tweeters and the xover. Everything else was butchered. The grilles had some cheap fabric loosely glued on and the woofer hole had been enlarged to fit the RS 12" woofer. I can't see how somebody would want to put enough effort into the cabs to make them usable again.

I was going to toss the tweeters up on ebay to pay for some other stuff that followed me home last week.

Back
Top Bottom