Mvp 861

VintageMac

McIntosh Junkie
Sponsor
Subscriber
Mvp861

The new MVP861 was announced on the McIntosh website today...

:thmbsp:

VintageMac

Last edited:
The MVP861 is shipping now. Some dummy under forecast the sales rate so they will be in short supply for the next ninety days.

Thanks,
The Dummy

ron-c said:
The MVP861 is shipping now. Some dummy under forecast the sales rate so they will be in short supply for the next ninety days.

Thanks,
The Dummy

Better to under forecast than over. Some poor dude at US Robotics forecasted the sales figures for IBM PS2 modems based on IBM projected sales figures. Suffice to say some months later there was a fire sale on USR Microchannel modems and the dude lost his job.

r

It would not matter as production is running over maximum planning as is. Can you say overtime?

Ron-C

ron-c said:
It would not matter as production is running over maximum planning as is. Can you say overtime?

Ron-C

I certainly can. Any particular trends that you can share with us Ron?

r

We are building a lot of MVP861s this month but not enough to fill all the orders. The SACD aspect of the player is driving sales past the normal home Theater run rate and many wanted a Universal player to match the rest of their Mc gear. Your dealer may have ordered early enough to receive one.

Thanks,
Ron

Does this mean there won't be any MCD205's coming out of the factory in the next little while? I'm anxious to compare one to my CAL CL-10 at the local Mac dealer. The McIntosh itch is back and a new CD changer is what's on the agenda. BTW, thanks for the great conversation at the Sound Plus fall show. :thmbsp:

MCD205s are looking OK. Since the models all go down the same line we can not just build MVP861s and we only have so many parts. It is the busy time of the year though. Happy Holidays!

Ron-C

MVP 861 Remote problem?

I am one of the guys eagerly waiting for the call that my MVP861 has come in. Earlier Ron-C mentioned that early production would have the 851 remote to be replaced later with the 861 remote.

Any update on that situation?

Bill

My MVP861 is here.

My MVP 861 arrived a couple days ago. I am having my HDTV delivered on Tuesday, so I am patiently waiting to go through only one setup.

Boy, perusing the manual sure makes me anxious. I can't believe the control this unit gives you over video content. It even has two Progressive Scan modes. I haven't a clue what the difference between them is and I don't believe the manual explains it either. It says it is for playback of "very dark scenes..." but I'm can't believe it is intended a simply a scene change mode since you have to stop everything and access the service mode to get to it. Oh well, like a lot of things, when I can go "hands on", I'm sure it will make sense to me.

Suggestion: How about a single page that shows a menu tree and shows you what all the default settings are?

Last edited:
Black level is not the same for US NT SC and that in Japan. Use the mode which looks best on your minitor? What video display do you use?
Ron-C

ron-c said:
Black level is not the same for US NT SC and that in Japan. Use the mode which looks best on your minitor? What video display do you use?
Ron-C

I am having a Sony KDF 55XS955 delievered next week. It is an LCD Rear Projection set.

Depending on the internal scaler of the Sony TV it may look better with the 861's progressive scan turned off. Taking a 480i signal to 480p for a 720p display will not be the best solution. Most of the fixed pixel displays turn 480p, including DVI/HDMI digital 480p back into analog 480i and rescale to the display. Try the 861 both ways and do not assume progressive scan is the way to go.

thanks,
Ron-C

ron-c said:
Depending on the internal scaler of the Sony TV it may look better with the 861's progressive scan turned off. Taking a 480i signal to 480p for a 720p display will not be the best solution. Most of the fixed pixel displays turn 480p, including DVI/HDMI digital 480p back into analog 480i and rescale to the display. Try the 861 both ways and do not assume progressive scan is the way to go.

thanks,
Ron-C

Thanks for the advice. I will try it both ways.

I think I knew this intuitively, but didn't really dwell on it..... So, the fixed displays mostly revert to a baseline 480i, THEN scale to the native resolution.

I think an awful lot of folks out there don't realize they are introducing an extra conversion into the mix when they use Progressive Scan with these fixed resolution sets.

I somehow thought these sets were displaying 480P. Obviously they are not. I realize that EVERYTHING on these sets is displayed at the fixed resolution. Interlaced from the DVD player makes perfect sense. Thanks again. Hope to meet you, Ron-C, at the CES.

Yes, you are correct. Sometimes on some sets the internal scaler is not that great and the MVP may be an improvement. I used some sets where the audio was way out of sync due to a slow scaler built in to the set. Using the one in the MVP puts the audio back in sync with the video.

See you in Vegas,
Ron-C

Mvp861

My MVP 861 has arrived! I set it up last night . At first listen the audio section seems to be much improved over the 851. Other than considerably more video software flexibility I didn't notice much if any difference in video quality and clarity. My first impressions of the new remote are not good. Lettering and key buttons are too small. Too many useless controls for my taste. I will post additional revews as I spend more time with it. Audioden

Back
Top Bottom