MVP851 "NO MIX-DOWN"

jwcullison

Gotta question for you experts. I get a message on the MVP851 "NO MIX-DOWN" when listening to multichannel DVD-A.

I typically prefer 2 channel over multichannel music. Therefore when I put in a DVD-A, such as Diane Krall, I will choose the "stereo Playlist" as opposed to "Surround Playlist". I don't like the fact that I have to choose this on a video display. If I let it play with out messing with the menu, It will play "surround playlist". My Metallica "Metallica" does this too.

Now, I have the 851 player hooked to my MX119 with a pair of Tributaries XLR silver cables. The Manual of the 851 tells me that if a multichannel audio is playing and there are balanced cables, the 851 will provide a "mix-down" of the signal to 2 channels.

As mentioned above, I get the message "NO MIX-DOWN" everytime a track starts. Now obviously, I don't get this when I took the time to go through the video menu and select "stereo playlist". But I hate having to do this.

Does anyone know why I can't get a "Mix-Down" message. Is it something in my setup?

jc :)

The individual disk producers can set their disk up this way. You will need to use the set up menu each time you play these DVD-A disks. The manual was referring to movie soundtracks such as Dolby Digital or DTS where a global two channel setting on the 851 will always yield two channel. If you go to the audio set up section on the MVP851 and choose two speakers only you will always have two channel. Of course then you have to reverse this every time you want 5.1. SACD has its quirks also. It is enough to make you just play vinyl sometimes!

Ron-C

The two channel mix on DVD-A disks is often a 24bit 48Khz mix which is the two channel master that is sent to the CD pressing plants. This mix is before down conversion to 16 bit 44.1 KHz and can sound very good indeed. Almost all music is sent on DAT tape at 24/48 by the industry.

Ron-C

ron-c said:
The individual disk producers can set their disk up this way. You will need to use the set up menu each time you play these DVD-A disks. The manual was referring to movie soundtracks such as Dolby Digital or DTS where a global two channel setting on the 851 will always yield two channel. If you go to the audio set up section on the MVP851 and choose two speakers only you will always have two channel. Of course then you have to reverse this every time you want 5.1. SACD has its quirks also. It is enough to make you just play vinyl sometimes!

Ron-C

Hey Ron,

I changed the setup on my MVP851 to 2 speakers. However, still if I play a DVD-A, it will default to surround playlist and I still get the "NO MIX DOWN" message. You are right. I am stuck with this quirk. I will always have to go the the menu on a DVD-A and choose stereo playlist.

Thanks for your help.

jc :)

Back
Top Bottom