MX-110: Creaking noise when turning the tuning knob

monkboughtlunch

When I turn the MX-110 tuning knob either direction, I'm hearing a "creaking" or "clicking" noise. Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? I have the faceplate off and in looking at it and turning the knob, I don't see any obvious obstruction that would cause the noise.

Sounds like dry pointer rail.

Is the pointer rail supposed to be greased in the 110? I ran my finger along the top path where the points slides and it's dry -- but there was also no left over residue -- like none had ever existed.

The black enamel area in red is dry. Is this what you are talking about? Or does something different need to be greased?

IMG_6208.jpg

Is the pointer rail supposed to be greased in the 110? I ran my finger along the top path where the points slides and it's dry -- but there was also no left over residue -- like none had ever existed.

The black enamel area in red is dry. Is this what you are talking about? Or does something different need to be greased?

View attachment 1037574
On this in particular, I don't know, but the symptom fits.
See if by careful observation if this is the source of the noise.
If so, just a couple drops of WD40 under the pointer glide may take care of it.

It is really important to locate the source of the noise. In addition to the pointer travel, pay close attention to the dial string on the shaft that the flywheel is mounted to. I've seen other tuners where the rope is riding up the side of the race it sits in and will cause a sort of groaning sound.

Check the rope for wear spots (usually darkened or black) then follow them as in their travels as you tune back and forth - end to end. Odds are you'll find they are giving you hints on where to look.

Cheers,

David

It sounds like the noise comes from the two white pulleys on either end. But it also sounds sometimes like it's coming from the pointer. It's hard to isolate the precise location/s.

It sounds like the noise emanates from these two white plastic pulleys. See images of white pulleys below.

The noise is tuning directional dependent. For example, if I turn the tuning knob one direction, one pulley makes the noise. When I turn the tuning knob the other direction, the other pulley makes the noise.

I didn't see any visible rubbing of the cord. Does the pulley shaft need to be lubed or greased? I'm stumped. Any ideas on what could cause these noises?

IMG_6211.jpg

IMG_6210.jpg

I used silicone lube applied with a toothpick at the bearing surfaces of all plastic pulleys and dry graphite powder applied with a Q-tip to the dial slide surfaces. Both seem permanent compared to WD40. Get none of these on the dial cord or dial surfaces. Use min to get job done. Many silicone lubes tend to creep over time ending up where you don't appreciate them so don’t use on dial slide.

I used silicone lube applied with a toothpick at the bearing surfaces of all plastic pulleys and dry graphite powder applied with a Q-tip to the dial slide surfaces. Both seem permanent compared to WD40. Get none of these on the dial cord or dial surfaces. Use min to get job done. Many silicone lubes tend to creep over time ending up where you don't appreciate them so don’t use on dial slide.

Thanks Steve O. When you refer to bearing surfaces of plastic pulleys, are you talking about putting silicon at location with red arrow in pic below? Is the problem that there is dried lubricant there? If so, how can one remove it before relubing?

IMG_6211.jpg

Arrow points to bearing surface. I’ve found no evidence of lube ever having been used here. I think the idea was that nylon/delrin type materials were self lubing. Seems that over the eons, a form of galling occurs that causes noises and high effort. Lube can help with this.

No particular brand to recommend...whatever is in the garage at the time I need it. I’ve found most of this stuff to be pretty much a commodity.

On my MR77, I made so fine adjustments to the alignment of the dial pointer by rotating the screw on the side of the top cover. This adjustment can move the dial pointer back and forth by maybe 2-3 mm total but it also tightens or loosens the tension of the strings depending on which direction you're moving the pointer. If the string is getting tightened, at some point you will hear growling because the shaft of the white pulleys are being pulled out of their concentric position.

Back
Top Bottom