MX-117 versus C-28

Discussion in 'McIntosh Audio' started by cjmustang69, Apr 19, 2017.

1. cjmustang69

cjmustang69 AK Subscriber Subscriber

The MC-7300 is about as much "amp" as I want to move around. I have a McIntosh cabinet for the C-32, which will help it look a little more "substantial"

62caddy likes this.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. damacman

damacman Blown and Injected Subscriber

You should see how small an MC7300 gets when you park it next to an MC2600 . . . or between a pair.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
  3. cjmustang69

IMG_0588.jpg I put my C-32 in cabinet - looks a little more to scale with the MC-7300. I like the C-32 so far - particularly the phono section.

62caddy, damacman and Searing75 like this.
  4. damacman

That's a sweet setup! Tell us about the Denon turntable - sure don't see many of that model. What cartridge?

5. cjmustang69

Thank you. The table is a Denon DP-59L. I had owned one previously, sold it for some reason. I always liked the 59L, and bought my current table from seller in Texas who totally goes through the 59L recapping, lubing, etc.... the table. I bought it with intentions of holding onto for the long run. The cartridge is an AT-125SA.

6. cjmustang69

IMG_0613.jpg
    While I surely didn't need another amp, a MC2255 became available less than 15 miles from my home. I purchased today from daughter of original owner and very pleased with its condition. Just need to find a nice cabinet for it.

7. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

That's quite a nice assortment of McIntosh you have there. The MC2255 was reviewed by Julian Hirsch for Stereo Review magazine in 1982.

8. cjmustang69

Thanks for heads up on stereo review article on the MC2255 - I'll have to see if I can find it online. I originally thought I may sell the MC2105 amp, but at this point, I intend to keep all 3 amps. I think if I sold it, I would regret it almost immediately.

9. damacman

Congratulations - you now own three spectacular power amps, each worthy of representing McIntosh at its very best for their respective time periods!

Incidentally, each of the three has a larger brother, with the very same sonic signature:

MC2105 > MC2300
    MC2255 > MC2500
    MC7300 > MC2600

Notice anything? I've owned 'em all with exception of the MC2255 ... Still have five of them.

As you're halfway to the collection, I suggest you think twice about selling any!

10. cjmustang69

I wasn't aware of the relationships between amplifiers you noted. I'm afraid I don't see myself acquiring all of them, as the 3 I have are more than I need. However, I agree selling any of them would result in regret on my part. I think my next "move" is finding another McIntosh preamp so I can setup 3 McIntosh systems.

11. 62caddy

62caddy Trust but verify Subscriber

You need Tony's C28 to put between the MR74 & MC2105 :D and an MC275/240 to match with that C22!

(Not really serious actually - but matching periods is a thing with me. :confused:)

12. damacman

It's safe to say that far more of the amps on the left found their way into living rooms than the ones on the right. So, really with these three models, they can also be considered to be Mc's TOTL units for their respective times. Only demented power mongers like myself need the units on the right ...