MX-117 versus C-28

The MC-7300 is about as much "amp" as I want to move around. I have a McIntosh cabinet for the C-32, which will help it look a little more "substantial"

The C32 really puts into perspective the size of the MC7300. Never realized how massive that amplifier is.
You should see how small an MC7300 gets when you park it next to an MC2600 . . . or between a pair.

Attachments

• 5B0D1727-33B0-479B-A353-12C2AC877800.jpeg
    5B0D1727-33B0-479B-A353-12C2AC877800.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
That's a sweet setup! Tell us about the Denon turntable - sure don't see many of that model. What cartridge?

That's a sweet setup! Tell us about the Denon turntable - sure don't see many of that model. What cartridge?
Thank you. The table is a Denon DP-59L. I had owned one previously, sold it for some reason. I always liked the 59L, and bought my current table from seller in Texas who totally goes through the 59L recapping, lubing, etc.... the table. I bought it with intentions of holding onto for the long run. The cartridge is an AT-125SA.

IMG_0613.jpg
While I surely didn't need another amp, a MC2255 became available less than 15 miles from my home. I purchased today from daughter of original owner and very pleased with its condition. Just need to find a nice cabinet for it.

That's quite a nice assortment of McIntosh you have there. The MC2255 was reviewed by Julian Hirsch for Stereo Review magazine in 1982.

Thanks for heads up on stereo review article on the MC2255 - I'll have to see if I can find it online. I originally thought I may sell the MC2105 amp, but at this point, I intend to keep all 3 amps. I think if I sold it, I would regret it almost immediately.

Congratulations - you now own three spectacular power amps, each worthy of representing McIntosh at its very best for their respective time periods!

Incidentally, each of the three has a larger brother, with the very same sonic signature:

MC2105 > MC2300
MC2255 > MC2500
MC7300 > MC2600

Notice anything? I've owned 'em all with exception of the MC2255 ... Still have five of them.

As you're halfway to the collection, I suggest you think twice about selling any!

Congratulations - you now own three spectacular power amps, each worthy of representing McIntosh at its very best for their respective time periods!

Incidentally, each of the three has a larger brother, with the very same sonic signature:

MC2105 > MC2300
MC2255 > MC2500
MC7300 > MC2600

Notice anything? I've owned 'em all with exception of the MC2255 ... Still have five of them.

As you're halfway to the collection, I suggest you think twice about selling any!
I wasn't aware of the relationships between amplifiers you noted. I'm afraid I don't see myself acquiring all of them, as the 3 I have are more than I need. However, I agree selling any of them would result in regret on my part. I think my next "move" is finding another McIntosh preamp so I can setup 3 McIntosh systems.

You need Tony's C28 to put between the MR74 & MC2105 :D and an MC275/240 to match with that C22!

(Not really serious actually - but matching periods is a thing with me. :confused:)

I wasn't aware of the relationships between amplifiers you noted. I'm afraid I don't see myself acquiring all of them, as the 3 I have are more than I need. However, I agree selling any of them would result in regret on my part. I think my next "move" is finding another McIntosh preamp so I can setup 3 McIntosh systems.
It's safe to say that far more of the amps on the left found their way into living rooms than the ones on the right. So, really with these three models, they can also be considered to be Mc's TOTL units for their respective times. Only demented power mongers like myself need the units on the right ...

I have really enjoyed this series of posts and am glad Ryan was able to help you out. We have been phone buddies for years and he has helped me numerous times. Especially with the MPI-4, MR-80 and C-34 repairs. I had to wait 4 or 5 months for a MX-151 to appear and Steve was very nice to me with my MX 119 trade in.

By the time 7300 came along pricing Mac amps for commercial use was almost an impossibility. Delegating them to consumers with a lot of coin. We did sell 2600's, however, commercially. I was in love with 7200's at the time as my speakers preferred amps with high damping factor. Plus a 7200 could put out tremendous amounts of power below 3 ohms that a 7300 couldn't. They were specially designed to drive paneled speakers with their extremely low impedances in the high frequencies.

I thought I would update this thread, as my systems have continued to evolve. I've been using my MC7300 amp (with Mystere PA21 tube amp) with my C32 preamp and Infinity speakers. Overall, very happy with system performance. However, I wasn't using my MC2255 amp and wanted to try a more modern preamp with remote control (getting lazy!!). I have a C200 preamp coming, bought off Audiogon, which will replace the C32 preamp in this system. Based on other members experience with the C200, I'm anxious to hear it perform. I intend to pair the MC2255 amp with the C32 preamp in a third system.
IMG_1047.jpg
It was a difficult decision, but I sold my MC2105 amp to help fund purchase of MC275 Series V amp. I really wanted to pair a McIntosh tube amp with my C22 preamp and Valencia speakers. The results are very pleasing. Of all the speakers I have tried over the years - the Valencias are the ones which most exceeded my expectations. I bought them because they were Altecs (I had never owned Altec Lansing speakers) and had the "vintage" look. I have found their performance to be very satisfying - particularly with McIntosh tube front end.
IMG_1045.jpg

Wow - a C200. That's one helluva upgrade - congrats! I couldn't be without mine. Only the REC processor loop and MC input remain unused in my setup.

So, what say you in regard to the MC275 vs the MC2105?

Wow - a C200. That's one helluva upgrade - congrats! I couldn't be without mine. Only the REC processor loop and MC input remain unused in my setup.

So, what say you in regard to the MC275 vs the MC2105?

I purchased the C200 believing it will likely be last solid state preamp I’ll desire. We intend to move to Florida in 2 to 3 years, at which time I’ll probably reduce the number of systems I’ll keep to 1 solid state system and 1 tube system. I don’t envision changing my tube system, but could see possibly selling the MC7300 and MC2255 amps to upgrade to a MC452 amp to pair with the C200 preamp.

Relative to the MC2105 versus MC275 amps, I found the MC275 to play better with the C22 and Valencias. I felt the imaging and the balance from lows to highs were superior with the MC275.

I purchased the C200 believing it will likely be last solid state preamp I’ll desire. We intend to move to Florida in 2 to 3 years, at which time I’ll probably reduce the number of systems I’ll keep to 1 solid state system and 1 tube system. I don’t envision changing my tube system, but could see possibly selling the MC7300 and MC2255 amps to upgrade to a MC452 amp to pair with the C200 preamp.

Relative to the MC2105 versus MC275 amps, I found the MC275 to play better with the C22 and Valencias. I felt the imaging and the balance from lows to highs were superior with the MC275.
The C200 for me is the end game. None of the other dual chassis preamps have the tape loops, so I have no upgrade path regardless. I'm sure you'll enjoy it immensely. One of my favorite features is the HT PASSTHRU which makes it a gateway for the L&R outputs from my Integra AVP - 5.1.4 Dolby Atmos with one button press.

Glad you're enjoying the Valencias - I use the SPKR 2 outputs of the C200 to feed my MC7300 in the front room via LONG XLRs. It powers a pair of Altec 9846-8As, the studio monitor version of the Barcelonas. What a great pairing.

I thought I would update this thread, as my systems have continued to evolve. I've been using my MC7300 amp (with Mystere PA21 tube amp) with my C32 preamp and Infinity speakers. Overall, very happy with system performance. However, I wasn't using my MC2255 amp and wanted to try a more modern preamp with remote control (getting lazy!!). I have a C200 preamp coming, bought off Audiogon, which will replace the C32 preamp in this system. Based on other members experience with the C200, I'm anxious to hear it perform. I intend to pair the MC2255 amp with the C32 preamp in a third system.
View attachment 1366444
It was a difficult decision, but I sold my MC2105 amp to help fund purchase of MC275 Series V amp. I really wanted to pair a McIntosh tube amp with my C22 preamp and Valencia speakers. The results are very pleasing. Of all the speakers I have tried over the years - the Valencias are the ones which most exceeded my expectations. I bought them because they were Altecs (I had never owned Altec Lansing speakers) and had the "vintage" look. I have found their performance to be very satisfying - particularly with McIntosh tube front end.
View attachment 1366445
Those are some very impressive systems you've assembled there, any one of which would be highly sought after.
I can relate to your comments regarding the Valencia's. I've got the siblings to those, the Flamenco. I've owned them since the 70's and have been paired with an assortment of combinations, from Dynaco through many different Mac rigs. They've never failed to impress. I can only imagine how well the sound with the C22/275 combo.

The only speakers I'm aware of, which I would consider replacing the Valencias with, are another pair of Altecs such as the Model 19 or a pair of the the 604 (not certain with series is most desirable). From what I've read, they are considered to be upgrades to the Valencias. Until I run across a pair of these, I'm very content with the Valencias.

Back
Top Bottom