MX-117 versus C-28

I never heard the Valencia but I have heard the 811 w/804A HF driver (in another Altec model speaker) and to tell to the truth, I found the material that worked well with that particular HF driver combination extremely limited. I would expect the 802 HF driver of the Model 19 might be better. But to my ears the Model 14 with the newer Mantaray horn is the best. As always, YMMV.

*Incidentally my brother who's visiting brought up a 1962 Brubeck album which I played on the 14s. Wow did those speakers ever perform well with that material.

My C200 preamp arrived safely this afternoon. I won't have time to get everything situated and connected properly until this weekend, but I did a brief trial this evening to make certain it powered up and exhibited no issues (everything seems fine). I've enjoyed my C32 in this system and am anxious to hear how the C200 impacts its performance.

IMG_0025.jpg

Last edited:
It was a difficult decision, but I sold my MC2105 amp to help fund purchase of MC275 Series V amp. I really wanted to pair a McIntosh tube amp with my C22 preamp and Valencia speakers. The results are very pleasing. Of all the speakers I have tried over the years - the Valencias are the ones which most exceeded my expectations. I bought them because they were Altecs (I had never owned Altec Lansing speakers) and had the "vintage" look. I have found their performance to be very satisfying - particularly with McIntosh tube front end.
View attachment 1366445
I just noticed in the pic of your vintage system that you've got your turntable set on top of one of the Valencia's. How does that work out for rumble,etc?

I just noticed in the pic of your vintage system that you've got your turntable set on top of one of the Valencia's. How does that work out for rumble,etc?

While certainly not ideal setup, I place closed cell medium density foam under the butcher block to help isolate turntable from speaker. Also, most of my listening of this system is at low volumes and I haven't heard any issues.

My C200 preamp arrived safely this afternoon. I won't have time to get everything situated and connected properly until this weekend, but I did a brief trial this evening to make certain it powered up and exhibited no issues (everything seems fine). I've enjoyed my C32 in this system and am anxious to hear how the C200 impacts its performance.

View attachment 1380371
So how you liking that C200. You, I and @gmc are owners ... Mine is my favorite McIntosh component of the many hundreds that I've owned over the years.

Reactions: gmc

View attachment 1380371
Mine replaced a C33. The C200 is so much nicer to use, and sounds amazing in my system.
I still love my C33 but when I hooked up, and listened to, the C200, I knew I had found the right preamp for me.
I'm done looking at preamps.

Mine replaced a C33. The C200 is so much nicer to use, and sounds amazing in my system.
I still love my C33 but when I hooked up, and listened to, the C200, I knew I had found the right preamp for me.
I'm done looking at preamps.
Now you need to find a few nice tape decks to use those tape loops!

Now you need to find a few nice tape decks to use those tape loops!
If only I had the rack space. My uncle offered me his Akai reel to reel, but I don't have room for it, and my Nakamichi MR-1 is in the closet until I can move a few things around.

So how you liking that C200. You, I and @gmc are owners ... Mine is my favorite McIntosh component of the many hundreds that I've owned over the years.

So far, very happy with the C200. While I like my C32 also, my initial impression of the change to C200 is it plays the music effortlessly, with no hint of grain or harshness. I have found I'm playing music louder than I realize, it is so smooth. While I've only owned it less than a week, I'd say it is likely a long term keeper for me.

IMG_0032.jpg

Back
Top Bottom