MX 117 with MC40 monoblocks?

BillWojo

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I have a set of restored MC40 monoblocks hooked to my HeathKit AS101's, (Altec Valencias in nicer cabinets) and have been using a Carver C11 preamp. I'm wondering what a older Mac pre would bring to the picture. Yea, I know, an old Mac pre with tubes would be even nicer but to pricey for me. I am working on a trade at the moment so hopefully no money needs to change hands and we both get what we want.
From what I understand, these were built in the early 80's. Could probably stand a recap but if it sounds good I'll pass on that till I have some money and use it in the meantime.
I guess what I would like to know is if the MX 117 is a good match for a tube amp. What should I expect from the sound quality. It's not like I'm dissatisfied with the Carver pre, it's a great unit with a lot of features. But am I missing something?
So what do you think?

BillWojo

I know of no incompatibility issue between the two, and personally wouldn't hesitate to pair them together.
I know the AS101's well (I have Flamenco's), and believe that selection of components would make for an outstanding sounding hi fi.
Keep us posted.

Unless there are impedance mismatch issues between components, I can't see why almost any McIntosh combination of separates should prove unsatisfactory, "unmusical" etc.

Audio Classics once swapped a pair of C8/S [mono] preamplifiers in their 2kW demonstration system and according to Ryan, it still sounded great.

Thanks guys, I was just wondering if any of you had paired them up already. If I wind up getting it, I'll give you a report.

BillWojo

If I had to guess 75% of the Mx117s were paired up with MC2205 amps.

Just like the previous tuner/preamps the cost savings in that unit allowed the new owner to go up a step in the amp.

Based on the tuner of the MAC4100 and the C504 preamp it used the same switching and major circuit paths of the C33 preamp.

I can see no reason for any issues in it feeding a tube amp. It could very well,once restored, outshine your dream tube preamp.......would not be the first time either.

I have an MX117 that I pair with an MC2125 (solid state) or Latino ST-70 (tube). I think it sounds great with both.

Turns out that it is an older MX113 so could date to early 70's. That's going to need a complete service. What kind of money does it cost to have one of these brought up to spec?
Thanks

BillWojo

Back
Top Bottom