MX110: Dial LEDs and gel replacement (what is correct OEM color?)

monkboughtlunch

Most unrestored MX110 dial window lettering will have a green color when the festoon lamps are lit.

When brand new back in the 1960s, was the dial color also green? Or was it a different color if the gels have faded over time?

Also, what are the part numbers for white LED festoon and color gels? Where can they be purchased?

058032 is the original Mc Intosh part number .
They are not LED : this is lamp
On one original unit (never touched) there is two color films , one clear green and one blue

058032 is the original Mc Intosh part number .
They are not LED : this is lamp
On one original unit (never touched) there is two color films , one clear green and one blue

Thanks - yes, I know the original was a lamp. Do LED festoon replacements exist?

On the original unit, are you saying there are two color films per side by each festoon for a total of four color films?

YES , 1 green 1 blue on the left , one green one blue on the right

Do LED festoon replacements exist ?

I don't think so .
I am working on it

Hello All...

The MX-110 used a blue gel for the dial indicator glass. It is a Festoon Lamp. (058-027). It is available from the McIntosh Parts Department at (800) 538-6576. While there may be an LED lamp available, the Factory does not approve of any modifications to the original design of its products. Over time, the blue gel will turn to a clearer gel, thereby changing the blue tint.

I always ask those who want to change to LED's why, if the originals lasted for over 20 years, would you want to replace them with LED's, which would alter the appearance of the illumination of the unit. Many of the McIntosh users won't be around, in another 20 years.

Mark
McIntosh Factory Service Center

Hello Mark

I always ask those who want to change to LED's why, if the originals lasted for over 20 years, would you want to replace them with LED's,

that's the question I am asking all the time to my customers !

Some might prefer the more intense blue color of the LED lamp and of course, heat is reduced which is never a bad thing. Also the gels fade out over time as well.

LEDs are especially advantageous in equipment where heat damage to meter casings is frequent - due to the number of lamps used in too small an area to dissipate well.

I always ask those who want to change to LED's why, if the originals lasted for over 20 years, would you want to replace them with LED's, which would alter the appearance of the illumination of the unit. Many of the McIntosh users won't be around, in another 20 years.

Mark
McIntosh Factory Service Center

Bulbs don't aways last 20 years. The MX110 dial glass lettering is fragile. Lamps generate heat which can yellow the white dial lettering and cause flaking of lettering from dial. LEDs generate less heat, last much longer and won't fade gels over time. LEDs can also deliver a more intense dial glow if desired.

I agree with 62caddy and monkboughtlunch. It is beneficial to change out the old bulbs/festoons with LED replacements. I just did that yesterday and the MX110 looks so much better and "refreshed" plus I don't have to worry about excess heat anymore. The "multiplex" lamp (original is an 1850) is very close to the dial cord strands and directly underneath them (heat rises . . .) so I feel much better with one of the new bayonet style LED replacements there. Pain in the butt getting to it, though. The LED festoons fit nicely (41mm and you can get them on ebay) although I did finger tighten the "socket/tabs" a tiny bit. Only issue I have is that the multiplex light is now on all the time (probably why the previous bulb burned out). I understand a transistor triggers this bulb when it senses a stereo signal. Any trouble shooting advice here? Just replace the transistor? I'll start another thread to ask this.

Last edited:
I have no opinion on LEDs vs. bulbs in Mc gear but I can tell you that the light box behind the dial of my Sansui QRX-7001 (white plastic) was brown in places and most of the solder joints were intermittent. I had to remove it and reflow all the solder between the traces and bulb clips. Apparently this is not an uncommon issue. All but one of the bulbs were still good, but all were intermittent. I replaced with festoon "warm white" LEDs and haven't looked back. It might look ever so slightly incorrect, but I bet I never have to go back in there at least for that issue.

Don't use an LED bayonet-style replacement for the 1850 multiplex bulb in an MX-110. The MPX LED will stay lit all the time since it requires a very tiny voltage to light up and the MPX circuit in the MX-110 always emits a small voltage. IE-very okay to use the LED fuse-type/festoon dial lighting replacements since they run cooler, look great and last a long time but replace a burned out #1850 bulb with an exact replacement #1850 in an MX110.

Last edited:
Some might prefer the more intense blue color of the LED lamp and of course, heat is reduced which is never a bad thing. Also the gels fade out over time as well.

LEDs are especially advantageous in equipment where heat damage to meter casings is frequent - due to the number of lamps used in too small an area to dissipate well.
Yep.

Back
Top Bottom