mx110 in my future

radioactive

tube gear fanatic
Subscriber
:banana: :banana: :banana: just sold my fairchild 275 on ebay and now have some coin to finally go after a mx110.it's been a long time coming and if things work out i will be getting one very soon.too say im excited is an understatement.oooh boy i can just picture the mc30's sitting on either side of the mx110 keeping it company.
chris

radioactive:

Got my a year ago.

Great piece of gear

Have fun looking for yours.

atuque

atuque,
i've already got a lead on one with a case and in pristine condition.i wont know more about it until the end of the month but im hoping it'll be mine.
chris

I bought a MX110z just a few months ago, and have been very pleased.

Mines been gone through and as I've said before, it's been a surprise. Very happy with it.

Would like to find a pair of 30s too, but haven't found a pair at a resonable price.

Last edited:
Would like to find a pair of 30s too, but haven't a pair at a resonable price

all i can say is keep looking as the deals seem to be getting fewer and fewer but theyre still out there.dont give up andd im sure patience will pay off for you eventually if your set on getting a pr.
chris

I love my MX110 - I hope you'll love yours! :)

Yes, those vintage McIntosh pieces seem to be getting pretty pricy lately...

It's going to be real sweet Chris!
I am impressed you sold your Fairchild 275, that took some will there.;)

Carl

It's going to be real sweet Chris!
I am impressed you sold your Fairchild 275, that took some will there

thanks carl.it sure is going to be reason to celebrate once i get one.selling the 275 wasn't that hard after i was contacted about a possible mx110 with case and in apparently 9.5/10 condition.the sale from the 275 is going to fund the mx110.i still have my beautiful pair of 260's though and will never sell them so not all is lost.
chris

Oh, and I was going to offer you $10,000 for the 260s.
why dont you then? :D ill even fly out and deliver them in person.just think what i could do to improve my collection of gear with that much $$$.oh wait nevermind i swore off buying anymore for awhile after i get my mx110.i guess the fairchilds will be staying.
chris

Hi Chris,

Some comments on the one in the pics:

* It has the updated IF transformers (last 2 in the lineup with the pointed tops). The earlier version will have flat-topped IF xformers. These *may* have had a retro-fit kit available but I'm not clear many would have been installed outside of the factory due to the effort. This change only improved a couple of FM specs by a little bit anyway.

* It has the dual-ganged mute/signal strength setting control. The earlier versions only had a single adjustment for muting only. There was a retro-fit kit available waaaay back then but I doubt yours has been retrofitted given the IF xformers status.

These 2 items indicate that it was most likely made after 1965 and should, therefore, have the poly caps as interstage coupling caps rather than the earier ceramic disc caps.

The above information from the copies of the factory service bulletins issued for the MX-110. These are good things.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

Had problems with the factory poly caps, if the leads are stressed the end of the cap will crack and absorb moisture and behave like an old leaky paper cap.
Factory modified many of the 110's with poly caps, they cut out the ceramics and tacked in the polys in at least 4 places.

thanks for the info david i appreciate it.there is some service documentation that came with the preamp but what exactly i dont know yet.it's nice to know though that it's one of the later versions.

dewickt said:
Had problems with the factory poly caps, if the leads are stressed the end of the cap will crack and absorb moisture and behave like an old leaky paper cap.
Factory modified many of the 110's with poly caps, they cut out the ceramics and tacked in the polys in at least 4 places.

Makes sense, Terry, with the documentation I got from Roger Russell. My approach was to do all of them at the same time. I learned form restoring old English sports cars that you need to do all you can as you work your way out of any restoration.

Since the last factory mod on MX-110s was issued in 1965, that's a no-brainer.

Cheers,

David

Back
Top Bottom