MX110 phono stage question

dubai2000

I have no experience with tube phono sections but because I am considering swapping cartridges permanently (MC to MM) I was wondering if anybody has compared the phono section of the MX110 to more recent (non McIntosh) tube units. It's not that I am unhappy with what I am hearing, BUT you know curiosity :D .
As usual feedback will be appreciated.

Wolfram

Can't help ya.

But I was disappointed in the phono stage of my MX110 so I bought a phono pre and a MC cartridge. I did the opposite of what you plan to do!

Are you going to obtain a Shure V15? Its is supposed to be the "flattest" cartridge out there (ie: no colouration). Of course they are no longer making them.... (they can't get the materials to make them anymore!)

To sound it's best the MX110 needs to have it's phono stage updated, 2 disc ceramic and one bumble bee changed out in each channel, the disk ceramics never have leakage but they have an extremely wide frequency range and a tendency to ring giving an edge to the sound.

Thanks for your comments.
I have no idea if A.C. did upgrade that section or not, but I certainly cannot detect any 'edginess' to the sound.

Wolfram

Back
Top Bottom