MX112 Phono input inferior to FM channel?

Im very new to hifi so please forgive my ignorance. A friend lent me an MX112 preamp, I’m playing it through an MC58 in bridged mode. The FM sounds beautiful, warmth with detail, but the Phono sounds inferior, much less bass and a sterile sound generally.

I figure it could either be that my turntable just sounds inferior, or the phono channel is just not as boomy on the MX112, or maybe that channel is isn’t giving all it should?

These units aren’t an area of experience or expertise for me so any input is appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

Your previous posts in the turntable forum seem to indicate issues with your turntable setup. Did you ever confirm that your table is setup correctly?

Thanks for responding, I have been doing a lot of experimenting with different cartridges and setups and the AR XA sounds pretty great through an old Realistic 33-1057a preamp.

The Realistic has a lot more noise but it’s real punchy and fun, I’m sorta wondering if the phono channel on the MX112 is in a weakened state, or if it’s just the nature of that unit.

The reason I posted the question was to see if people generally get as good of a tone from their phono channel, I’m which case I’d direct my attention to my turntable first and then get the preamp looked at to see if there was something compromised in the phono channel.

If you’re pretty familiar with the MX112 preamp, would you say this is a common issue or no?

Too many unknowns here in order to make any firm pronouncements. Given the age of the MX112 there's every possibility it needs some servicing. Generally speaking, it is not uncommon for there to be more gain with the tuner input compared with most phono stages. McIntosh tuners especially seem to have very robust audio outputs.

I use an A/T 440 MLa cartridge with my MX113 (whose preamp section is similar) and together they perform very well. But I will also say that it can't compare to FM listening through the MX113!

Too many unknowns here in order to make any firm pronouncements. Given the age of the MX112 there's every possibility it needs some servicing. Generally speaking, it is not uncommon for there to be more gain with the tuner input compared with most phono stages. McIntosh tuners especially seem to have very robust audio outputs.

I use an A/T 440 MLa cartridge with my MX113 (whose preamp section is similar) and together they perform very well. But I will also say that it can't compare to FM listening through the MX113!
You mean your fm is better than your phono too?

There have been empirical norms for correctly testing both source components and amplifying units. These are based on repeatable basic testing procedures.

There are specific tests available to any properly equipped tech to measure if a preamps RIAA eq curve is correct and if the preamp itself is linear. But that does not mean you will find the sound personally correct......tastes vary.

The same is true for turntable setup, speaker response, room accoustics, the actual quality of the recording itself.......it is almost endless.

A properly setup turntable and correct Mac preamp should run circles around a FM broadcast.......but .........

Actual quality of the recordings themselves - I couldn't agree more and my turntable is set up with the aid of a scope and test record. Only a small percentage of the vinyl records that I own would a classify as stellar recordings but the best are easily as good as most FM broadcasts or better.

The quality of FM signal from our local Public station is exceptional. They also produce recordings for local talent in their own studio. Even though most of this material isn't something I'd ordinarily listen to but I often do because the sound quality is so damn good.

Back
Top Bottom