MX113 Channel "Strobing"

Dave B.

I bought a very nice MX113 a month ago and just got around to hooking it up today. The seller explained that it had what he thought was the classic volume control-related channel imbalance problem at low volume levels. I wasn't too put off by that since I listen a higher levels, where he said things balanced out.

On my maiden voyage today, I discovered that the imbalance problem is much more than that. The sound coming out of the left channel (for lack of a better word) "strobes." By that, I mean that voice (radio) sounds like when you talk and repeatedly hit your chest. I had it connected to one of CT Jim's upgraded Dyna ST-120s, the ones with the cool blue LEDs. I noticed that the blue LED on the left channel board was strobing in sync with the MX113's left channel issue. When I connected the 120 to my Mac C35, the LED stopped strobing.

My question: What internal component is causing this? I don't think it's the volume control, but I could be wrong. I'm no techie, so I would appreciate trying to isolate the problem before I send it in for service. It's a lovely piece, but unusable as is.

Thanks, guys, as always.

Dave

Assuming it occurs with all inputs my first guess would be a falling transistor. Could also be a cracked solder joint.

One of those repairs with multi hour cost to find the fault and then confirm the repair with a small parts cost.

Thanks for responding, c_dk. Yes, it happens on all inputs. I think it's time for a repair and general updating, back to specs.

I see where Terry has a 120-day backlog and his wife is in the hospital. Any idea how far Audio Classics is backed up?

Dave

Back
Top Bottom