MX113 Tuner Dial Glass Marking Variations

Dave B.

I've noticed that various MX113s have different "layouts" for their FM dial markings, as they relate to the AM markings, particularly on the ends. For example:

MX113 - 1 Dial.jpg

MX113 - 2 Dial.jpg

MX113 - 4 Dial.jpg

Why is that? I'm not smart enough to figure it out. Would the different layouts require different tuning mechanisms? Odd, I think.

Dave

Attachments

• MX113 - 3 Dial.jpg
    MX113 - 3 Dial.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 8
Hmmm, interesting. Here's my MX-113, S/N 108H9:
y4mjvwB4HAvlIXI0a-VBK-oN0C0585iuxSlqMkXNQ7Qq5riJziraIiH-UtKFDwkrmSSymi3_I6NN3w_Dl8L2rXMi0-yGy5_1uCeLdK_HTn2QJTBFx1im9m8lA9iz6sQxe3t2kOnojrLgGqPcIYaQd54cS5eW9DwfyMRySW2FT2E8-SdB9qCFctol6MiCO1FHv01NnM4-LNesh7QOu5bAOKs1Q

(this is with the janky eBay LED light kit from "captain fantastic", before they lost a ton of light output)

Iso, that's a sweet looking MX113. I have two MX113s and each dial number configuration is different, exactly like the first two pics I posted. One of mine is exactly like yours, including the "protruding" (vs. "flat") dual knobs. I'm still wondering how one type of tuning capacitor can be used for each of the three different dial number faceplates.

BTW, does that 752 cause any interference with your AM reception? Both of my MX113s' AM reception is nonexistent, just loud buzzing, which is really annoying when switching from AUX to FM and notching by AM on the input selector. Nothing like a loud blast of buzzing!

Maybe one of AK's Mac FM mavens can solve this "mystery."

Dave

Last edited:
thanks! it's in good cosmetic shape, but needs some work, so I dropped it off at a local guy to have him go through it. I think it might need a recap, but definitely needs the tuner aligned. i don't typically listen to AM, so I'm not sure if my amp ever affected the AM reception. I'll experiment with my MX-117 and see if I notice any AM interference, though i know it's tuner is different than the tuner in the MX-113.

jbailey, IMO, any MX113 is a beauty, including yours. :thumbsup:

Your dial configuration is like the bottom picture in my OP post above. The MX113 ran from 1971-1980, so there were changes in the production runs over those years. Maybe we should ask Ron C. or Roger Russell, himself, about these changes and the tuning capacitors used.

Dave

jbailey, IMO, any MX113 is a beauty, including yours. :thumbsup:

Your dial configuration is like the bottom picture in my OP post above. The MX113 ran from 1971-1980, so there were changes in the production runs over those years. Maybe we should ask Ron C. or Roger Russell, himself, about these changes and the tuning capacitors used.

Dave
I just had @Gregory work on mine. There is a thread below on the updates. I will post the serial # when I get back from biz travel. Definitely improved noise floor after the update.

If anyone's interested, here a thread of my MX113 which I got a year and a half ago. It's a perfect match for the MC2505 and they look great together.

After a full going over at Audio Classics, I couldn't be more pleased with the performance. Only small complaint is with the volume control whose tracking is irregular at certain positions. Since I control volume with a CR7 this isn't an issue since the MX113 volume control is more-or-less always set at the 1:00 position which works best when used with the CR7. Thankfully the L/R tracking is perfect at the 1:00 setting.

Only other small complaint is the loudness comp circuit which is not C Variable as on later models. Another oddity is the MX113 loudness only affects the low frequencies - which is a massive boost at 20Hz, rolling off beyond that. The loudness circuit of the MX110 affects both low and highs in the more traditional manner. I found the MX113 loudness to be of very little use; the ordinary bass control (also at 20Hz) is much better for this purpose. I have no idea why the MX113 loudness circuit was designed the way it was.

The tuner section (a slightly simplified version of the MR74) is also very good. The SELECTivity switch is a great help in dealing with adjacent FM transmissions where there is one weak and one strong station. AM works reasonably well with the built in loopstick antenna which is designed to be oriented both vertically and horizontally for optimal orientation which I'm sure AM listeners are bound to appreciate but I hardly ever listen to AM myself.

https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/my-new-mx113.785952/

Caddy, your MX113 is showroom quality! Did you also have some issues with bleed-through, or am I confusing you with someone else (I haven't re-read your excellent thread yet)?

Dave

Caddy, your MX113 is showroom quality! Did you also have some issues with bleed-through, or am I confusing you with someone else (I haven't re-read your excellent thread yet)?

Dave

Thanks for the kind words.
tiphat.gif
It's really a gem.

Yes there is a small amount of leakage from the tuner through the tape monitor which I brought to the attention of Audio Classics but their tech said this is normal on this model and there was little that could be done except to move the input selector to an unplayed source when using the tape monitor. Interestingly, the earlier MX110 tube model has no signal leakage from the tuner whatsoever. Go figure...:dunno:

Last edited:
I control volume with a CR7 this isn't an issue since the MX113 volume control is more-or-less always set at the 1:00 position

I use wireless on-off controllers on all my vintage units. I keep all power switches "on" and let the controllers do the switching, as you do with you MX113. On-off switches seem to be the most prone to failure. I learned my lesson about those way back in the '80s with the (in)famous Carver C-4000 preamp.

Dave

I use wireless on-off controllers on all my vintage units. I keep all power switches "on" and let the controllers do the switching, as you do with you MX113. On-off switches seem to be the most prone to failure. I learned my lesson about those way back in the '80s with the (in)famous Carver C-4000 preamp.

Dave

Yes definitely recommended on vintage units - particularly when the off/on switch is integral with the volume control.

In each of my systems, I use one of the CR7's switched outlets to energize a Panamax power controller. If power is interrupted briefly, the CR7 will switch off and will not just turn back on again when power is restored; it must be done manually. This is a major benefit for momentary power interruptions.

Back
Top Bottom