MX134 & MVP 861

John N

I have a question and I hope someone can help.

I have hooked my MVP861 to my PreAmp and when I play SACD’s, I’m not getting the sound quality that I feel I should. Also, I have noticed that my input lights on my PreAmp only indicate two inputs/ singles coming into it.

I’m not sure if I have hooked something up wrong or have missed something in the set up?

Also, I feel my sound quality is excellent on DVD’s and regular CDs just not the SACDs. :scratch2:

John
Do you use the analog ouputs of the 861 ? it's mandatory for SACD
There's no digital data through the SPDIF output.

You may listening to the CD layer

Emile

Thanks emile for your reply.
Yes, I do have the "unbalanced audio outputs" hooked to my 134 - I do not believe I can hook the "balanced outputs" to my 134.

If you want to play multichannel SACD or DVD-A you will need to connect the 5.1 analog audio outputs of the MVP861 to the external inputs of the MX134, 132, 119, 135, C39, MX130 etc. If you want to listen to two channel SACD you are connected correctly now, just push the SACD button on the face of the MVP861 until STEREO appears on the 861 display. The 861 will now output DSD stereo over the balanced outputs.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Ron-C, thanks

I re-checked last night and I do have the 5.1 analog outputs hooked to my 134. That is why I’m confused. I see the lights on the MVP indicating all of the outputs (multi) are being read however, I only see three of the input lights on my Pre-Amp lighting up?

John,

Please select the EXTERNAL mode on your MX134 if you are going to listen to the 5.1 outs of the MVP861. You will see all of the input and output channel indicators light up in External as the MX134 will be a passive volume control at this point.

Thanks again,
Ron-C

:banana:
Ron-C!
I think we are getting somewhere now... I'm not at the house, however can you explain this to me more. I do know when I put the 134 into External mode all light indicators light up! What is this mode for and what do I do when I'm in passive volume control? Thanks greatly!

Let me pre-emt Ron-C here....

The External Inputs on your MX-134 are to distribute an externally processed signal to your amplifier setup. As you probably already know, the "powers that be" are still paralyzed with fear that each and everyone of us is going to setup a little shop in our homes and clone SACDs if we had access to the digital source material, so...we have to live with the source, the MVP 861, doing the SACD de-coding and passing along an analog signal to your pre-amp. This signal is what the EXTERNAL inputs accept. There are a couple of companies that use "in-house" technology to link "their" DVD/SACD player to "their" Receiver with one cable, but so far, we are mostly stuck with the "5.1" cable analog array. Hopefully, this will get worked out some day, but I'm not holding my breath. It seems to me that SACD, thanks to terrible support from it's makers (Sony !!!!! EVERY new issue should be a hybrid !!!!!) is slowing fading away. On the one hand, its a shame as SACD sounds great, but on the other hand, CDs through equipment like yours also sounds great. By the way, I have the same setup... i.e., MX134/MVP861. My amps are a MA7270 for the front L&R and a bridged MA7106 for the C,RS&LS. I have a small M&K sub. My main speakers are a 20 year old pair of McIntosh XR17s.

Thanks BBH!

I like your system! I bet it sounds great! I just got mine and I'm still learning the details. I went with the MC206 for an amp.

So what can you tell me about the passive volume control?

Plus any thoughts about the 134. Anything not in the manual or interesting items that you have found?

All he means by "passive volume control" is that when your source is "External", the MX134 doesn't do any manipulation of the sound. It is simply a pass through to your amplifier. The only MX134 function that does work is the volume control.

I haven't found any undocumented factoids about the 134 as yet. It is a heck of a Pre-Amp. The ONLY thing the newer 135 and 119 have that I wish the 134 had is direct front panel control of Zone B.

The good news is that the MVP861 has about the best DSD/SACD decoding in the industry. SACD is done right in the 861 where the common SACD high frequency noise modulation is overcome.

In the External mode the MX134 simply turns the volume up and down. If the SACD disk is two, three or more channels the MX134 will just turn it up or down. If you want the sub to always play set the setup menu in the MVP861 to filter and the sub will always handle the deep bass below 80 Hz.

Ron-C

Ron
Does the MVP861 keep the DSD data in "DSD domain" ?
or it is converted to PCM ?

Thanks, Emile

DSD straight through including bass management. The MVP861 is out for independant review. I do not know how it will turn out but it should be interesting.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Thnaks, Ron
I guess it will be on par with other hot-rodded Denon 2900 tuned by PartsConnexion, Exemplar, etc ... :thmbsp:.
These units have rave reviews on Audio Asylum.

I must say that I was, already, really impressed by the sound of the MVP851, when listening at it by House of Music, San Fran.

Cheers, Emile

The MVP861 is not a souped up 2900 since the power supply, and three other boards are all replaced with a McIntosh parts. Using the same transport and display does not make these the same machine. At the price point of the 861 we can afford to build to a higher level. The 2900 is a good value at a price where the 861 has a lot less restrictions.
If you compare the 851 with a Panasonic they do not look like the same machine inside because they are not.

Ron-C

Back
Top Bottom