My 1st experience with DSD & hi-res music - a reflection or sorts...

I'm about to experiment with bypassing my pre/pro by going direct AES in to the Venu360 (to eliminate a DAC/ADC stage), so have been 'tuning up' my ears this week.

In general, I'm in agreement with the OPs observations - However, I was a little startled to hear a (slight) difference between the bluray disc and FLAC 192 versions of 2L's Quiet Winter Nights, one of the most pristine 'born digital, multi-channel' recordings I have. (FLACs were as supplied by 2L, from the disc itself).

A better test was between the mp3, FLAC96 and FLAC192 stereo versions (all from 2L, not my rips), and again, I can still hear slight improvements in 'clarity' in the 192 tracks over the 96k ones.

As for DSD itself, I have several Japanese DSD releases (Mayo Nakano Piano Trio, Yuko Mabuchi-Trio) in both FLAC92 and DSD64, and the former sounds a tiny bit clearer on DSD, while the latter (a live recording) does not.

Caveats, of course - the Bluray to FLAC comparison is suspect b/c of the subwoofer channel level differences, and further 'perturbed' by multi-channel (which is just mesmerizing in the 2L Hoff Ensemble recordings) vs. Stereo.

As said, too - my system, my ears, my music preferences - lots of subjectives there!

However, my tentative conclusion is that I 'hear' tighter, cleaner deep bass, and more sibilant highs in the DSD64/FLAC 192 versions over CD and FLAC96...in some cases.

(Side note, I also compared Patricia Barber's Cafe Blue 'Unmastered' SACD to the CD original, and boy what a difference...but not fair, either as the SACD is a 2011 re-master, it turns out. See pic.)

Am I fooling myself? Are there confounding effects? Is my hearing good enough to really tell (I top out at around 14khz). Yes, yes, and probably No.
But, I DO like it.

Do I think paying a bit extra for DSD64 or FLAC192 is worth it?

Mostly, yes - but only if the source recording is really well done - in the case of the live Yuko Mabuchi recording, No, though it is a lovely live recording.

What I can say unequivocally is that the 2L Hoff Ensemble multichannel recordings are just astounding - they put you right in between the drum kit and the other performers, and it really feels like your in the hall with them!

So, I will be diving deeper into more DSD64 releases, if only b/c I think I hear added value.

Happy Listening!

See attached photos of liner material:
Cafe Blue unmastered.jpg Quiet Winter Nights stage.jpg Quiet Winter  Nights mic layout.jpg

Back
Top Bottom