My $50 DAC

Acoustic said:
One just sold (NIB) today for $122.50+ shipping on the bay! I thought I was that "waited too long" crowd already when I paid $49.99 ($56.48 w/shipping) for mine on 10/18. When AlleyCat started this thread (9/25) he stated $34.99 + shipping then!

Still the best $50 addition to my system ever, err $56.48, that is.:D

Thing is, knowing what I know now, I'd easily spend twice $55 I spent (inc shipping), and more. It's made a hell of an improvement to my CD playback.

Let me put it another way: I wouldn't hesitate to spend $100-150 on a new phono cartridge, knowing what to expect. Up to $150 on this thingie is really a no-brainer.

bought mine early December (<$60) shipped...
still unopened, waiting to win a big Sony jukebox to hook it up to.
maybe I should just relist it with BIN of $185+...
seeing all the crazy Epay prices lately (MArantz)

I hope you're all enjoying your DACs, they sound like wonderful pieces of equipment. I'll have to wait until the summer, hopefully I can afford one then. (Unless the price has gone up another hundred dollars by then, at which point I just give up.)

yeah, I'm torn with mine right now. I enjoy it, but the Zhaolu I just got is a bit more musical... but just isn't very good for gaming. (the number cruncher is great from the digital out from my X-fi) so right now I'm running both, the number cruncher from my computer to my PIMETA and my Zhaolu from my CD player to my Little Dot II+

Airport Express To mini-to-optical digital Toslink audio cable TO DAC TO Stereo

Has anyone tried this? Would this work? A mini-to-optical digital Toslink audio cable to the DAC? Where's the DAC from the comuter to Express base station anyway?

well I figured out what the problem was w/ my Zhaolu... the outputs were reversed so I spent some time under the hood and got it fixed... now it works wonderful for gaming :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Just bought 205.2 off ebay and seems to be working fine - came with correct power adaptor. I'm not seeing a night and day difference with my Dennon DCM 560. Different yes. Seems vocals are more prominent. I might be able to say the bass is tighter. It's difficult to A/B with the 3db Entech gain. But it's definitely not night and day on this Denon changer.

I really bought it for eventually hooking up wireless computer connection so I'm not that dissapointed. But would have thought I'd hear more of a difference on the Denon changer.

I'm using Radio Shack Gold Series Digital Coax Cable that was on clearance for $10.

Has anyone ever tried attaching their older CDPs to modern HT TOTL receivers from Yamaha, Denon, Marantz etc. you will be shocked at the high quality of the DAC and processing power used in receivers like Yamaha's Z9.

Back
Top Bottom