My 9500 coming back to me with FINAL mods,and the BEST possible sound .

I'm guessing you'll like it no matter what. The problem is you won't have any standard of comparison to what it would have sounded like. I'd be sure to have your tech document the changes he made, and keep that info with the unit.

Ill definitely have the work documented .coz he will forget .
Also if guys like leestereo are online me or my tech wont have any problems getting it back to specs in case we dont prefer the changes now.

Conrad , my strong feeling is that he hasnt done anything more than just replacing the 2 bad capacitors which he thinks filter the sound before entering the power amp section for amplification( which may be the sole cause of booming sonic signature.)and the other thing he did was recapping with polyprops on the pre amp stage as directed by leestereo.
He must have brought it back to original sound signature of the 9500 and really liked the improvement in sonics of this perfect machine.

Last edited:
Conrad the amp should be here tomorrow. He just told me to have a listen and if it didnt suit me we can always get back to factory settings /specs

What a coincidence, my AU-9500 also returns tomorrow !!! changed 20 transistors, 2 jfets and the two rectifying bridges!

Ronald , this surely is a coincidence.
Although 9500 is not super rare but it still occurs rarely .
Of the 20 transistors you mentioned i believe theose are the small ones . The small black one half a pea sized. Well mine were also changed 4 yrs ago by the first tech . But i have seen so many fakes in the market here . I know that my first tech used only top notch components coz he cannot deal with fakes repeatedly he says.
Do these small transistors have to do with signal path? Sorry dumb question

Kevzep , if you are reading this id like to add that my tech strongly felt the same about the bass of the 9500 being fat as you did . Although it was not that much bothersome to me but definitely it did have a bad impact on the overall sound making me think why would a two time restored 9500 be sounding this bad that i cannot keep it for music .
But after rectifying this issue this time around he says the 9500 has a very nice flat responce and you will keep it

It's been a few years since I did one, but I seem to remember there are some fusible resistors that rise in value and mess up the operating points and trash the sound quality. Be sure all fusible resistors are replaced if that's the unit that has 'em.

Guys .
I received it yesterday . Was very happy to see it .very excited.
I took it to my friends place where a pair of klipsch rp280s awaited as mains.
We played the bang olufsen 1700 amplifier with some audio nirvana music and smooth jazz . for 20 min and registered the sound . Then we hooked up the 9500.

The immediate impressions :

A very relaxed and laid back responce came up as i rolled up the volume gradually settling it at 9 o'clock.
We were astonished with immediate improvement in highs and expansive soundstage . IT felt like a new amp. It was like lifting up an elephants foot off a mans chest and he could breath again.
The congestion we felt before was all gone . It was scary detailed . I could find a lot of improvement in the details of the instruments and feeble and missed out instruments were now quite audible.
The best part was the modded bass responce . It was extremely well welcomed by both of us . We loved the bass . It was detailed. The lows that were boomy and veiled had now details and ripples that did goose bumps all over my skin. . I cant describe it but it now felt like the camera had been blurred taking hazy pictures earlier and now the lens is replaced with a new one from carl zeiss.
Awesome my friend said .
I will post later as my session with my amp lasted 1hr only .and the bang olufsen sounded lesser in clarity n detail.

Last edited:
Thankyou and i asked my tech .He said Fusible resistors didnt play bad a role in worsening the sound in this set . They must be fine he didnt check for their integrity. Major problem was the bass filtering capacitors . He replaced the 4.7 with 2.2 uf on the inputs of the power amp section. Those who have the schematics can check n correct me(maybe they were 3.3 if im wrong) but 2.2 uf caps DID it . Bass is now boom n bloat free .Others should try it . It doesnot change the vocals the mids or the other range . It doesnot shape the bass into something else . It simply lowered the amplitude of the bass to levels that suit me n to his ears . And i can assure you its lost that boomy hangover and you will embrace it .

The highs got better with the recapping with the polyprops in the pre amp section . Im loving it. Those tone controls also seldomly used here have now more effect .Crisp highs flow in if you will.

One thing he left undone was the decoupling caps that lie underneath the amp near the 4 main caps . It has 120uf electrolytics (originals were 3.3uf only) and we followed leestereos 120uf suggestion .
Now my tech suggested to just try with 4.7 uf polyprops there .
I wanna know what this might bring ????
Any ideas plz

Last edited:
These are leestereos caps image. Mine were nichicons 120uf caps . And larger due to higher voltage. Ill post images when ill bring the polyprops

Is that all kev ???
What about playing with those input caps that are now 2.2 uf allowing signal into the power amp section.

The published input impedance of the AU-9500 power amplifier stage is 50kohm and the circuit consists of the R801/R802 (82kohm) followed by C801/C802 (2.2µF) and then the differential input pairs (TR801/TR803 and TR802/TR804). Hence, the high pass filter impedance is ~128kohm and with a 2.2µF capacitor, the F3 is 0.57Hz.

Please elaborate in english for me .
Is the 2.2 uf capacitor rightfully there in my amp.
Does it mean that what im listening to is now the original state of 9500 as factory settings (with ofcourse the addition of polyprops)..and not any mods to the topology ?

It means that you won't achieve anything by 'playing' with the value of the 2.2µF capacitors, except maybe mess up the frequency response of the amplifier.
This would also be the case with many other capacitors scattered around the AU-9500, I suggest you don't monkey with the values, and please don't fit ridiculously large film capacitors chasing that sonic 'rainbow's end' you are always in search of. :angel:

But hey, it's yours so you can do what you want with it - just don't ask us if it sounds good afterwards. :)

Back
Top Bottom