My ADS 5.1 HT Project

Spiceman50

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Thought to share my project with you building a 5.1 HT using L1230 fronts and custom Center/Surround speakers. I'm holding off the build specs and pics of them together in a promise I made to Richard So, in case he wanted to feature them in his Gallery at his web site.

These pics were pre-polished. I need to go back and add a 3" Oak back strap to the Surrounds. I used Oak because of two reasons. I wasn't trying to duplicate ADS with walnut wood trim, and I like the grain of the oak personally. Long after I'm gone, I don't want someone trying to do endless searches for ADS L810 with oak trim ... not forgetting to mention a Center and Surrounds.

The end result is amazing .. to me at least. I chose the L810 because the speakers were the same part numbers as my L1230's. The match is as close as you can get to the fronts. I still like 2 channel when I'm listening to music, but after replacing my Yamaha RX-V2700 with the Yamaha Avantage RX-A3070, I'm now able to appreciate music in 5.1 when I can't sit in front of the speakers.

Hope you enjoy these pics folks. I'm only way too happy to discuss the project. So that it's said, thank you very much for the couple of years of lurking these threads so that I could learn ever so much more from so many of you.
Garry~

Attachments

• Center (2).jpg
    Center (2).jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 268
  • Center Build.jpg
    Center Build.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 250
  • Surround.jpg
    Surround.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 260
  • Build.jpg
    Build.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 250
Good on you, Spicey. You've taken a long held concept and made it a reality. When someone asks, "Hey, what's the best center channel speaker for my ADS front channels?", you have pretty much answered the question forever.
I suppose it's personal preference, but I think oak adds a more luxurious flair. Are you going to cover the walnut on the 1230's to match?

You've forced me to the saw this week to cut the MDF for my rendition of a center channel. I purchased an orphan L-780 to use the guts for a center channel for my L-780/2's. I won't be as slick as yours as it only has to be a box with a cloth grill fit into the pocket of a TV console. Your setup deserves a merit badge of it's own.

Thought to share my project with you building a 5.1 HT using L1230 fronts and custom Center/Surround speakers. I'm holding off the build specs and pics of them together in a promise I made to Richard So, in case he wanted to feature them in his Gallery at his web site.

These pics were pre-polished. I need to go back and add a 3" Oak back strap to the Surrounds. I used Oak because of two reasons. I wasn't trying to duplicate ADS with walnut wood trim, and I like the grain of the oak personally. Long after I'm gone, I don't want someone trying to do endless searches for ADS L810 with oak trim ... not forgetting to mention a Center and Surrounds.

The end result is amazing .. to me at least. I chose the L810 because the speakers were the same part numbers as my L1230's. The match is as close as you can get to the fronts. I still like 2 channel when I'm listening to music, but after replacing my Yamaha RX-V2700 with the Yamaha Avantage RX-A3070, I'm now able to appreciate music in 5.1 when I can't sit in front of the speakers.

Hope you enjoy these pics folks. I'm only way too happy to discuss the project. So that it's said, thank you very much for the couple of years of lurking these threads so that I could learn ever so much more from so many of you.
Garry~
NIce mods and the final results are beautiful!
So yes, we want to see the build pics.
We'll have to come up with a badge for Modified projects.
Cheers, Glenn

Wow, wow, wow. Awesome work! Gives me a lot to think about as I consider what to do about a center channel upgrade.

Thanks everyone!! Huge smile on my face this morning. Great people here at AK. @Porkloin, the Center was fun to build but needs a baffle on the inside. I'll post a build pic. The design I got from Richard So's Gallery and was the catalyst for the project. The Surround design was modeled after the L1230's but was not my initial intent when I thought to do L810's for surrounds. I was faced with an image problem because of the room they are in, I can't get the surrounds behind me, and because of the size I can't get them exactly to either side. Knowing how well the 1230 images, I thought to give that a chance. After hooking them up, I knew I made the right decision.

I've yet to get the grills done, but it's mostly due to trying to find the right cloth. I've bought cloth twice online and both times it was just too far off and I wasn't satisfied. I've tried local fabric stores but finding as close a match to the 1230 cloth has been a challenge.
Garry~

Attachments

• Inside baffle.jpg
    Inside baffle.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 96
  • Finishing.jpg
    Finishing.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 98
  • Center Back.jpg
    Center Back.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Wood Frame.jpg
    Wood Frame.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 98
What type of fabric are you looking for?

Trying to get as close to the original fabric as the 1230's. So far Glenn I'm I'm 0/4. The Manual only calls it stretch fabric. It can't be that hard to find, I just have work and time holding me back from finding it. I manage a peanut butter plant at night. Ya'll eating way too much peanut butter! We work 24/7 two shifts.

I said the same thing @soundmotor! ... I hooked the surrounds up as mains when I finished them and they imaged amazingly. The 20 degree angle really opened them up. I have no Idea why ADS didn't do this considering the success of the LXX30's as a studio monitor. I did some research to see if any other manufacture did this, and found BIC America did something similar with their surrounds.

Those interested in doing something like this, I used Black Satin Paint. ADS listed Piano Black, but that color is not available in over the counter spray. Satin provides a more matt finish over a flat black. Also, use several coats of Kill'z it. You want the MDF to soak up the Kill'z. Sand with 200 grit give or take, to smooth the surface. This will give you a really nice finish when you start your final coats with Paint. The first pic (posted to show texture) just to explain, I was having difficulty with the angle, and took the pic to talk about it with a friend. As you can see I resolved the issue in the second pic.

Partial finish (Small).jpg Full Finish (Small).jpg

I should say this too. I'm not a master wood worker .... not by a long shot. I'm just a guy with just enough knowledge left over from High School Wood Shop and a wherewithit all to hid the mistakes. As it were, it was my high school protractor that gave me the correct angles to do the baffle on the surrounds LOL. If I can do this, just about anyone can do this. I gave myself more challenges then it would normally take. I was just anal enough to push myself to improve though each step. I can't wait to get all the pieces together to show you all.

I was just anal enough to push myself to improve though each step. I can't wait to get all the pieces together to show you all.

Now you need to track down 3 of these, the cast-aluminum logo plates -

e9ef32d0888d0117a3bc0164656d5ab6.jpg

It would have been driven by price point. The extra time required to make those cabs & grilles would have bumped the retail price on the L710 equivalent quite a bit.

You know, now that you said that it makes sense. But the design can give you the best of both worlds. Turning them in and you can enjoy a direct radiating sound quality, turning them out expands the sound stage.

@soundmotor You should see me rubbing my eyes ... hahah ... I had no Idea ADS had Cast Aluminum badges. Okay, the quest begins. As a gift, Richard So sent me some plastic ones. Was a very surprise and was glad to have them. But Metal badges ... Back to the bay .........

@soundmotor You should see me rubbing my eyes ... hahah ... I had no Idea ADS had Cast Aluminum badges. Okay, the quest begins. As a gift, Richard So sent me some plastic ones. Was a very surprise and was glad to have them. But Metal badges ... Back to the bay .........

The cast ones were correct for the earlier speaker lines w/ cloth grilles. Later models with metal grilles went to the plastic plate.

The exception on the early lines was the plastic film logo plate which was used (I think) as a sub when the cast ones ran out.

Back
Top Bottom