My ADS 5.1 HT Project

I have the frames with original fabric. I often pull them off when doing critical listening or for the occasional video. The original mids and tweeters are Richard So rebuilds.

Say Glenn, did you ever get your swatch from PE? If so, what did you think?

Say Glenn, did you ever get your swatch from PE? If so, what did you think?
I did, and it's close, but the weave is tighter and the fabric isn't quite as heavy. Rolling this around in my brain a bit.
How are your grills coming along?
Glenn

I did, and it's close, but the weave is tighter and the fabric isn't quite as heavy. Rolling this around in my brain a bit.
How are your grills coming along?
Glenn

It actually appears just as heavy if not more so to me. Not sure of the swatch size you got, however ... I have more then I'll use on the center, and I'll need to order again to finish at least one of the two Surrounds, so my offer still stands to send you some if you think it will help you decide. I like the tighter weave due to the dust here in Texas. Soon as I get the surrounds done, I'll send the Tweeters and Mids off to Richard to recone. The material drapes well so it should fold nicely over the Grill edges (reminds me I need to get some fabric glue). I've not had the chance to get the Grill's made yet Glenn, but am looking forward to the possibility of a three day weekend this next holiday. The center should be easy, but due to the miter's on the Surrounds, I might have a couple of challenges there. Interesting way they did it on the 1230's. I'll snap a pic when the sun comes up. How big was the swatch they sent?

Garry~

I suck at these vids not to mention my disaster trying to record this. But in my defense, a Galaxy Edge phone isn't the best cell phone to use to record a vid. Just about any other phone is, just not the edge. The center speaker. I turned down the fronts.

Edit: Eva Cassidy - Live at the Blues. Wonderful voice, cut short by cancer.

It actually appears just as heavy if not more so to me. Not sure of the swatch size you got, however ... I have more then I'll use on the center, and I'll need to order again to finish at least one of the two Surrounds, so my offer still stands to send you some if you think it will help you decide. I like the tighter weave due to the dust here in Texas. Soon as I get the surrounds done, I'll send the Tweeters and Mids off to Richard to recone. The material drapes well so it should fold nicely over the Grill edges (reminds me I need to get some fabric glue). I've not had the chance to get the Grill's made yet Glenn, but am looking forward to the possibility of a three day weekend this next holiday. The center should be easy, but due to the miter's on the Surrounds, I might have a couple of challenges there. Interesting way they did it on the 1230's. I'll snap a pic when the sun comes up. How big was the swatch they sent?

Garry~
Here's a couple pics of the PE & 910 grill fabric.
You can see the difference.
Glenn
PE Grill fabric 1.jpg PE Grill fabric 2.jpg

I suck at these vids not to mention my disaster trying to record this. But in my defense, a Galaxy Edge phone isn't the best cell phone to use to record a vid. Just about any other phone is, just not the edge. The center speaker. I turned down the fronts.

I can tell that sounds very good!

Very nice...! Ya' did good. It's very worthy. If you already haven't, you should post this in Glenn's video system thread too. :thumbsup:

Also, seeing your custom center build, might finally push me into building something similar. I've had the idea of building an AR90C, to match my Acoustic Research AR90's, for some time. I have the crossover, dome mid, and woofers. Just need to pick up a tweeter, and kill some lumber. That, and find two 8 to 9 Ohm AR woofers (mids), to parallel for the LMR. So, thanks for the inspiration! :biggrin:

So true. And such a sad fate. I'd only just started listening to Eva Cassidy, and did a net search on her, to find her music discography, only to find out that Eva had already passed. I felt like I had lost a close friend, even though I'd only been listening to hear music a short while...! :no:

Here's a couple pics of the PE & 910 grill fabric.
You can see the difference.
Glenn
View attachment 990269 View attachment 990270

Yes sir, looks like the same fabric on the 910's as the 1230's. I got really anal about trying to find the exact match on line and that was a total bust after months of searching. So I resorted to driving all around Dallas looking locally, which resulted in the same sad end. Sadly, in my effort to protect the Tweet/Mid, I used a towel draped over the center to keep dust off them, (renovating the music room) and somehow the towel managed to work it's way towards them and .... well, lint .... and you can guess the rest. This material was as close a match as I could find, (and again appreciate you finding it). One thing I found common was that much of the material I was finding wasn't true black as this Mellotone was/is.

Very nice...! Ya' did good. It's very worthy. If you already haven't, you should post this in Glenn's video system thread too. :thumbsup:

Also, seeing your custom center build, might finally push me into building something similar. I've had the idea of building an AR90C, to match my Acoustic Research AR90's, for some time. I have the crossover, dome mid, and woofers. Just need to pick up a tweeter, and kill some lumber. That, and find two 8 to 9 Ohm AR woofers (mids), to parallel for the LMR. So, thanks for the inspiration! :biggrin:

So true. And such a sad fate. I'd only just started listening to Eva Cassidy, and did a net search on her, to find her music discography, only to find out that Eva had already passed. I felt like I had lost a close friend, even though I'd only been listening to hear music a short while...! :no:

I'm so very glad I could help to inspire you to do this, and it really was my intention when I started this thread. I searched over the past couple of years gathering as much information on building a 5.1+ system using ADS speakers as I could find. I experimented with a few factory centers and a pair of L400's but just couldn't get close enough. Building one was my only option. Finding out that the 810's used the same parts as the L1230 became a no brainer. Then, one day I seen the center that Richard So has featured in his gallery, and my quest was set. The result is a perfect match. Voices sound natural and not out of a box, and it blends well with the fronts. Wonderful project for you to do. I hope you post the project so we can all share the experience. The 90's are and sound beautiful! I've only ever seen them on YT.

Agree, that wonderful angelic voice of Eva's .... proof again, only the good die young. I highly recommend Linda Eder Album "It's Time" ... it will sound magical on those AR90's.

Edit: I posted the Mains and Surrounds on Glenn's most excellent thread.

My Best,
Garry~

Yes sir, looks like the same fabric on the 910's as the 1230's. I got really anal about trying to find the exact match on line and that was a total bust after months of searching. So I resorted to driving all around Dallas looking locally, which resulted in the same sad end. Sadly, in my effort to protect the Tweet/Mid, I used a towel draped over the center to keep dust off them, (renovating the music room) and somehow the towel managed to work it's way towards them and .... well, lint .... and you can guess the rest. This material was as close a match as I could find, (and again appreciate you finding it). One thing I found common was that much of the material I was finding wasn't true black as this Mellotone was/is.
I've been thinking about black fabric spray dye since I got the 910's. I used it on my 70 Vett's faded black carpet some years ago, and the spray made it look new! Unfortunately I don't have the vette any more. The spray did not stiffen the rug fabric, which I was concerned about. being anal with this stuff as well, I really want to keep the original fabric, for now.

I've been thinking about black fabric spray dye since I got the 910's. I used it on my 70 Vett's faded black carpet some years ago, and the spray made it look new! Unfortunately I don't have the vette any more. The spray did not stiffen the rug fabric, which I was concerned about. being anal with this stuff as well, I really want to keep the original fabric, for now.

Yes sir, we're birds of a feather. I'm fortunate enough that the 1230's have been taken care of very well, but should I had to replace the fabric, I would have searched for the exact same thing. Interesting idea to use a fabric spray!

Edit: In a last ditch effort, I contacted Richard So and asked him if he knew the type of fabric or a source for it. I'll get back with you when he responds. ;)

Last edited:
Yes sir, we're birds of a feather. I'm fortunate enough that the 1230's have been taken care of very well, but should I had to replace the fabric, I would have searched for the exact same thing. Interesting idea to use a fabric spray!

Edit: In a last ditch effort, I contacted Richard So and asked him if he knew the type of fabric or a source for it. I'll get back with you when he responds. ;)
I would be very surprised and thrilled if Richard knows of a source!
Cheers!

I would be very surprised and thrilled if Richard knows of a source!
Cheers!

He has already responded with a question "Which Model was I looking for" ... there's hope. So I told him the L1230 and L910 for you and I. I'll update you soon as he gives me a return. (Fingers Crossed)

I agree it does look good from a knit pattern perspective. There is a comment on the listing that it is not a true black, more of a charcoal, but I can't tell if my 910 grills were ever truly black to begin with.

Well that's disappointing. I was really hopeful. That's for pointing that out @Aptone. I missed it while on my phone. The material no matter how close in knit, has to be true black or it just won't work for me.

Back
Top Bottom