My alternative to CD's

And what of my already existing CD collection? Which is considerable. Why should I pay again to download what I already own? That would be foolish.
There are many websites (Rutracker being one example) that provide accessibility to original CD albums and re-releases for free.

And what of my already existing CD collection? Which is considerable. Why should I pay again to download what I already own? That would be foolish.
Perhaps what he meant is that providers like Tidal and Qobuz allow you to temporarily download content for free (with limits) on your mobile phone for offline purposes.

Useful for air travel.

The battery was fairly expensive, and lasted for about a year

Let me ask you this. Did you run it on charge as much as possible or did you totally let the battery drain and charge it. Lithium Ion batteries don't have "memory" like the old NiCad...but they do have a "charge cycle" limit and will lose current capacity as this limit is reached. My neices and nephews had this HORRIBLE habit of using everything on battery even when they were right next to a damn outlet...and as a result they'd put 2000 charge cycles on a laptop battery in about 6 months.

A charge cycle is usually when the battery drops below a specific percentage and it's charged...it's sometimes 60%..sometimes less.

Do you really want to copy thousands of songs to your phone and use it as your primary music source? Even at home? I dont. I drive trucks so I listen to mine a LOT! Like others here I too despise Itunes, but the sound quality from these old Ipods is very good! How are the DAC's in your phone?

The DAC in my phone is irrelevant since it's a damn car and it's probably a stock sound system anyway. If you're driving trucks...which are usually pretty loud...why is sound quality a factor? I mean..if I really want a DAC...my SMSL M8 plugs right in to my phone with a USB cable.

For starters...if you literally own it...you shouldn't have to pay to download it. CD's can be ripped. DIgital files can be copied.

If you bought copy-protected music from iTunes....well...I don't consider that a valid reason for your argument. You foolishly paid for something you didn't own.

There are many websites (Rutracker being one example) that provide accessibility to original CD albums and re-releases for free.

I don't think promoting piracy is a very good idea. I wouldn't publicly start promoting that. You'll get a lot of people in trouble.

I believe that the OP was/is referring to music that he has ripped from his own CDs into iTunes. That said, I believe that a buyer of music files downloaded from an authorized distributor, such as Apple, has the same rights of use as a person who "buys" those files on CD. If I am wrong, I'm sure I will be schooled quickly.

I've never bought music from Apple, but it is my understanding that they do make it difficult to store and playback that file outside of the iTunes platform. Is this what you mean about copy-protected music...or are you referring to the protections afforded by copyright laws?

Regarding the iPod battery I mentioned; it was plugged into its cradle most of the time. I used it as a source component in my workshop (now replaced with a laptop). So it didn't have many recharge cycles at all, and the battery was not all that critical anyway because of the cradle. But occasionally I would want to use it when taking a run, going camping, etc. That new battery never performed like the original (shorter life), and within less than a year was good for only about 30 minutes of play time.

BTW, my truck is quieter and rides better than most cars. On the topic of road music, you mentioned that the DAC in your phone is irrelevant. What makes you say that? The digital files still have to be converted to analog. Or did you mean that because of the low quality of your vehicle's sound system, the quality of the DAC is irrelevant?

Last edited:
For starters...if you literally own it...you shouldn't have to pay to download it. CD's can be ripped. DIgital files can be copied.

If you bought copy-protected music from iTunes....well...I don't consider that a valid reason for your argument. You foolishly paid for something you didn't own.

I don't think promoting piracy is a very good idea. I wouldn't publicly start promoting that. You'll get a lot of people in trouble.

Thank you for making my point. As I have stated, I already have a CD collection, and I have no desire to pay for "cloud content" that may or may not still be available next year. Soo, if ripping music is the task at hand, why not rip it to an Ipod? How is that any more troublesome than ripping it to another device? Its basically splitting hairs over the same task.

Once again, I listen to my Ipods (yes, plural) at home and away through multiple systems. That is why I mentioned quality DAC's. I have a Marantz CD deck at home that sounds no better to my ears whatsoever than a good Ipod. The Marantz is obsolete and my CD's are all boxed up and in storage. It's all good.

I also agree with your last point. The only "free" music sites Ive seen have either been 2nd rate content or pirated music, and I dont subscribe to theft.

Last edited:
Yes, most of us have CD collections, and ripped them to a NAS 10 years ago. With the advent of $10/month all-you-can-eat music services, those ripped files, for most of us, go unused, while discovering new to us music almost daily.

If you’re happy with the same old ‘70s rawk you’ve listened to forever, then you’re good. If you’re truly a music lover, though, $10/month is an incredible bargain.

Last edited:
Yes, most of us have CD collections, and ripped them to a NAS 10 years ago. With the advent of $10/month all-you-can-eat music services, those ripped files, for most of us, go unused, while discovering new to us music almost daily.

If you’re happy with the same old ‘70s rawk you’ve listened to forever, then you’re good. If you’re truly a music lover, though, $10/month is an incredible bargain.

Wow. How did you become the judge for deterrmining who is a music lover and who is not?

And what if one listens to their CD and/or LP collection AND a streaming service? Can they get your seal of approval?

How about those who use free music sources, such as internet radio, to explore the world of recorded music? Where do they rank?

Do you own a turntable, or a CD player, or a tape deck? Have you created playlists with you streaming service? Do you ever listen to the same recording more than once? Can you maintain your status as an elite music lover if you do?

Anxiously awaiting your guidance on how to be a true music lover.

Hmm, I guess you don’t tolerate opinions, then?

For the record, I frequently listen to my large LP collection, and to playlists created by others. Own 5 or 6 turntables, and a 10” R2R, and at least 3 CDPs, as well.

Hmm, I guess you don’t tolerate opinions, then?

For the record, I frequently listen to my large LP collection, and to playlists created by others.

Depends on the nature of the opinion. But I certainly don't tolerate bullying.

Got called out, and now backing down. Typical.

You smugly and sarcastically criticized the OP because he may not listen to as much "new" music as you do. That's bullying.

And you did so without having any basis, other than your own speculation, upon which to have concluded that he listens only his CD collection, or even if true, that he does not add to it on an ongoing basis.

Further, you belittled the OP for not having ripped his CD collection to a NAS (like most of "us"). How did you determine that the majority of "us" are running NAS arrangements? And who is the "us"? I would guess that this is just another way to belittle the OP (he's not one of "us").

I don't have a true NAS configuration, but I do have a large amount of digital music on the hard drive of a laptop (backed up to a 2nd set of hard drives). Can I be a music lover without a NAS?

Bottom line, you used this thread as an opportunity to crow about your superiority as a music lover. Denigrating someone else is not stating an opinion...it is bullying.

You smugly and sarcastically criticized the OP because he may not listen to as much "new" music as you do. That's bullying.

I don't feel particularly "bullied" LMAO. I just wanted to share what I do for anyone who might be interested. If Chicks doesn't like the idea I really don't care, he can do whatever he wants.

Thank you for making my point. As I have stated, I already have a CD collection, and I have no desire to pay for "cloud content" that may or may not still be available next year. Soo, if ripping music is the task at hand, why not rip it to an Ipod? How is that any more troublesome than ripping it to another device? Its basically splitting hairs over the same task.

Once again, I listen to my Ipods (yes, plural) at home and away through multiple systems. That is why I mentioned quality DAC's. I have a Marantz CD deck at home that sounds no better to my ears whatsoever than a good Ipod. The Marantz is obsolete and my CD's are all boxed up and in storage. It's all good.

I also agree with your last point. The only "free" music sites Ive seen have either been 2nd rate content or pirated music, and I dont subscribe to theft.

There's a difference between "ripping to an ipod" and "ripping to your computer"

You can rip the files to your computer...and then copy them to your iPod. Your ripped files can be used again, later, on another device.

There are ways to get around the iTunes jail...if you really want out of that ecosystem while maintaining use of your iPod...then there are ways to completely do away with it....or you can still have it involved; but not rely on it for your "everything" music solution.

Most of my music is in FLAC. When I want to copy it to a device, I do have to encode it. It took me maybe 8 hours total to encode all my FLAC to my phone. This is a quad-core system; so it was running 4 encodes simultaneously; on around 23k tracks. It took me the better part of three weeks to get everything right...yes...lot of work...total PITA...never thought I'd get it done. Going to my Rockboxed iPod would have been easier since I don't use tagging or album art. That's what took the most time with the phone. But that was a year ago. Updating the collection is no problem. As long as my next player supports Opus (which is easy if you stick with open-source software)...then it's a trivial (trivial to me) task of just letting it copy all the music over.

I mean...the iPod is fine. But when I get the impression people are sticking with it because "they have no other choice"...I at least just want to let them know there are other options. I came to the conclusion a long time ago you could use some automatic thing that does all the work for you at the expense of getting locked in...or put forth a little effort but have a LOT more flexibility.

RuTracker? you trust Russian websites?If they provide copies of your CDs, its kinda theft, innit? They are not connected to the artists or the record companies - I'd steer clear of that!
Honestly, Russian sites and American computers are not a good mix - in my humble opinion ...
You want to listen to paid services, go for it.
I'm happy with CDs I've ripped, the large catalog of music available via Amazon prime,
and a few other sources without dropping $120 annually for streamed services.

I'm happy with a chunk of my ripped catalog music on my phone
- or huge number of Internet radio stations via my phone in the car -
But I'm only in the car for an hour or so a day commute time - I don't drive for a living these days.

Last edited:
RuTracker? you trust Russian websites?If they provide copies of your CDs, its kinda theft, innit? They are not connected to the artists or the record companies - I'd steer clear of that!
Honestly, Russian sites and American computers are not a good mix - in my humble opinion ...
You want to listen to paid services, go for it.
I'm happy with CDs I've ripped, the large catalog of music available via Amazon prime,
and a few other sources without dropping $120 annually for streamed services.

I'm happy with a chunk of my ripped catalog music on my phone
- or huge number of Internet radio stations via my phone in the car -
But I'm only in the car for an hour or so a day commute time - I don't drive for a living these days.
I’ve never heard of anyone getting their computer infected or hacked from Rutracker, especially when using Apple's Mac OS X. It’s basically a place where audiophiles share their digitized material (tracks, scans, and documentation to show accurate rips). To avoid any flack about my knowledge of this website, I won’t be commenting any further.

As you were ... :angel:

Last edited:
There's a difference between "ripping to an ipod" and "ripping to your computer"

You can rip the files to your computer...and then copy them to your iPod. Your ripped files can be used again, later, on another device.

How do you rip files to an iPod? The only way of getting files to an iPod that I know of is via synch with a computer running iTunes. What is the alternative?

Last edited:

And you did so without having any basis, other than your own speculation, upon which to have concluded that he listens only his CD collection, or even if true, that he does not add to it on an ongoing basis.

Further, you belittled the OP for not having ripped his CD collection to a NAS (like most of "us"). How did you determine that the majority of "us" are running NAS arrangements? And who is the "us"? I would guess that this is just another way to belittle the OP (he's not one of "us").

I don't have a true NAS configuration, but I do have a large amount of digital music on the hard drive of a laptop (backed up to a 2nd set of hard drives). Can I be a music lover without a NAS?

Bottom line, you used this thread as an opportunity to crow about your superiority as a music lover. Denigrating someone else is not stating an opinion...it is bullying.
:rflmao::rflmao::rflmao::rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom