My ASUS ROG-STRIX-RX580 will be here today

Discussion in 'Home Theater & Video' started by transmaster, Feb 6, 2019.

1. transmaster

transmaster AK Subscriber Subscriber

My Sapphire Radeon R9 380 is freezing my PC on a daily basis it has from the almost from the beginning. . I know it is the GPU it is crashing and when I restart it always does so with its default settings with an iccasional systems failure notice. After careful consideration I went with another Radeon the RX580 has great reviews from gamers, and people who use them as part of home theater systems.

The bad reviews come from block chain crypto currency miners, apparently it doesn’t work to well with the way they abuse GPU’s than they complain that Asus won’t automatically replace GPU’s they destroy.

Apple uses Radeon GPU’s in their Mac computers. I went with an Asus this time, I have an Asus motherboard with an AMD CPU so I decided to keep things in the family. Becides like AMD CPU’s you get more bang for your buck with a Radeon from AMD.

It is nice having a Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, and a Corsair HX1200i power supply. Lots of space and power.

DE5CA7B1-4A8E-49A2-9A2C-827D2902E421.jpeg

Please register to disable this ad.

2. BigElCat

BigElCat Mmm Hmm Subscriber

I just switched from Radeon to Nvidia. I run a Dell Precision 690 dual Quad xeons. Windows 10 64 bit Pro.

I ran this for a couple of years. It worked great until I physically broke it.

asus hd 7950.jpg

Just put this in...much higher benchmark

[​IMG]

I was seriously considering the RX580. Found a better deal used on this card. So far so good.

The driver that came with the card would not work. It took four attempts to download the correct driver.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  3. transmaster

I seriously looked at the Nividia, but in the end, I got a great deal on the RX580. I struggled along with the R9 for as long as I did because of the inflated prices on GPU’s because of cryptocurrency mining bubble. I am not a gamer so I looked for ratings from home theater users and they gave the RX580 very high marks.

I always assemble my own systems. I have aan Asus Crosshair V Formula Z motherboard, with an AMD FX9590 Black Edition.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  4. BigElCat

My GTX 1060 was used for mining. Dude in Chicago was selling 120 of them. Seems to be in good shape.

transmaster likes this.
  5. BigElCat

I have a skid plate on the bottom of this one...just what a country boy needs.

transmaster likes this.
  6. BigElCat

I broke my beloved ASUS by bumping the bottom of it with my sound card.

Had everything unplugged...except the power cord. :mad:

transmaster likes this.

7. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

I was able to get an new Gigabyte OC 1060 6GB. Before that I use an AMD card. I just buy what gets good reviews and is cheap. I have an ATI 4850 that is still running in another PC I have at home (10 yrs old. which is amazing).

BigElCat and transmaster like this.
  8. transmaster

The trouble you run across with the old GPU’s used by home theater people, is resolution 4K, 8k, and HDMI. But the biggest issue is DRM. I had to update from a top end Nividia because it didn’t have the DRM to play DVDs.

9. botrytis

botrytis Trying not to be a Small Speaker Hoarder Subscriber

My current HTPC is using an APU - an AMD A10-5800. For what I use it for it is definitely fast enough and basically has a decent video card built in.

transmaster likes this.
  10. transmaster

The cooling systems on the gaming GPU’s is what makes them a good thing for home theater use. The fans only operate if the temp gets to a preset level which the user can control. With my R9 the 2 fans rarely operate which means no fan noise from it. This is short of a moot point with my PC, I have 3 140mm case fans, and 2 120mm fans in my liquid CPU cooling system. These fans are quiet but there are 5 of them.

11. transmaster

This is the cooling system on the RX580 I ordered. Talk about fantastic overkill for the way I am going to use it.

7E025BF6-DD7D-45CC-A231-D5BC723F6140.jpeg

This card also has a shield plate so it will not short out on the ASUS Xonar Essence sound card.

526E5969-BC78-417C-8A2E-3FF794B32A9F.jpeg

BigElCat likes this.

12. transmaster

Very interesting with the installation of the new GPU it became apparent just how bad the old one was. The video rendering is razor sharp with the RX580. It would be interesting to find out just what is wrong the the R9 GPU but I don't have the instrumentation to test the hardware. But something in the chipset is bad.

13. transmaster

I was warned elsewhere about loading the drivers for the RX580. I understand it is mostly a Windows 10 thing. The loading of its drivers the first time did not go well. This became apparent when I experienced a Radeon Green Screen of death. Checked into the AMD Radeon forum and they told me I had a bum driver load. This time I completely deleted all of the Radeon drivers and did a clean install. Thank to Windows 10 My first install failed. The 2nd went through and things have been working well since.

14. KentTeffeteller

KentTeffeteller Gimpus Stereophilus!

Big issue in mining duty, the cards are in 24/7 use mining. Never do they idle or get a break. It's like running games 24/7 on high, and the GPU never gets a chance to get cooled down or any rest. Constant, always on usage. I'm leery of used PC systems or hardware used for gaming to begin with, due to the overclocking, the heat, and the systems ran often at maximum, in a sustained fashion.

15. transmaster

Here is a modest, by crypto mining standards, mining setup the GPU’s are overclocked to ridiculous levels, the Nividia 1060, and the Radeon RX 480’s were very popular. When you read the reviews of GPU’s the ratings are dragged down by the miners who are pissed off that the warranties for these abused cards are not horrored.

9CF592B1-C61F-4B39-81D9-1DF92D154923.jpeg

16. transmaster

I was experiencing flashing black screens. This is a known issue with the 400 & 500 series GPU’s it is a software thing. As I understand it it is caused mostly by Windows 10. The most common reported cause is the Error reporting service of Windows 10. The other is iCloud. You can find the info on Youtube. I disabled the error reporting service, and deleted iCloud on the PC I do not use it on the PC.