NewScot11

Hey folks,

My name is Kyle and I’ve been a big fan of AK for the last few years, as it’s helped me immensely when researching vintage equipment.

I’m originally from Atlantic Canada but currently living and working in the South Bay Area (just north of San Jose).

I’ve always had an interest in analog hi-fi equipment and made my first purchase in high school, when I bought my uncles Akai receiver and Sansui speakers from him. They traveled with me through university, where they were used heavily and starred in a few house parties. I passed these on to my little brother when I moved out west to Vancouver, BC in 2010. He still uses them and loves the sound!

While in Vancouver, I happened across a hi-fi junkie in West Vancouver via craigslist. He was purging equipment in an effort to satisfy his wife’s frustration with the small audio museum in his basement. I walked sassy with a setup featuring a Marantz 2220B as the star, a set of Mission 700 bookshelf speakers and an Akai turntable. This is when I started to build out a small record collection and found my passion for two genres: early hip hop (a tribe called quest) and jazz (thelonious monk). In 2016, I moved for work to the Silicon Valley. I sold the turntable but decided to drag the Marantz and Mission speakers with me along the way.

Lately, I’ve been itching for a change, so I’ve been monitoring OfferUp, LetGo and Craigslist for my next set of speakers. I came across a guy selling a set of Sansui LM-330 speakers, which was a throw back to my early days. It turns out he had four (4), which I thought was odd. After arriving, I find out that they are part of a “quadraphonic” setup bought in ‘75 which includes a Pioneer QX-747a 4-channel receiver. I just couldn’t resist and my search for 2 new speakers sent me packing with a very heavy setup. With this, my new audio adventure begins! Although, I’m now feeling like the guy in West Vancouver, as my wife is wondering why I now have 2 receivers and 6 speakers ;)

My goal for 2019 is to learn how to properly care for my equipment and specifically to replace the bulbs on my Marantz amp. I also plan to purchase a new turntable, while expanding my vinyl collection and putting my old CD collection back into circulation. And of course, I need to track down a true 4-channel LP and rock this setup like it rocked back in 1975!

Looking forward to learning from all of the experts in here and sharing my passion for listening to great music!

Confession: During the early 2000’s, I was a huge Dave Matthews Band fan and traveled to see a few shows. I was also an active member of the live show recording community and amassed a collection of the band’s most legendary performances in lossless format. For those that remember, this was a very special time when bands like Pearl Jam, Phish and Dave Matthews Band allowed their obsessed fans to take professional equipment into the show and record it, as long as they agreed to share the music - not sell it.

Cheers,

Kyle

Welcome to AK Kyle! - you've done a good thing signing up, you'll be able to get a lot of interactive help here. ;)

Back
Top Bottom