My audio rack with components > pic

Turbota

Well, I finally got my 2 channel audio system up and running. It ain't too much, but here is a pic of the rack and sub. I am just using a Pioneer CD / SACD player and Delphi XM satellite radio for source material.

The power amp is 150w per channel, powering 4 Polk speakers and a Rava powered sub. (can't see the rear Polks in these two pictures).

Audio_Rack.JPG

Rava_Sub.JPG

To me, the sound is very clean
Ron,

Last edited:
How's that Rava sound working for ya? I considered one of those Adire subs to compliment my JBL's...

XM Radio...

Looks gorgeous!

How do you like the XM Radio? How does it sound with music you're familiar with through your system?

I'm really interested in this, but I'm having a tough time choosing XM or Sirius. XM has more of the music I like, but Sirius has no commercials. How many commercials, or how many minutes per hour, roughly? Do you find it acceptable or intrusive?

Sorry for so many question marks! Any thoughts are most appreciated.

Thanks,
Clay

Thanks everyone for the compliments ...

WhiteSE ... I am by no means an audio guru, but the Rava sounds very nice with a 2 channel audio system. I would think it would work great with 5.1 Home Theater too. [Not boomy at all]. Very tight and seems to add another dimension to the sound when used with 2 channel audio. (I keep the sub volume, phasing, and crossover fairly low) ... But the sound is night and day better than when it's turned off.

Clay Nicolsen ... I was very worried about Sirius when I decided on XM. I have heard Sirius is in big financial shape right now. Although the stock market don't always tell the tale, I can tell you Sirius stock is a few cents above 2 bucks per share, while XM is right at $20 per share. XM has very few commercials. Some channels don't have any. Many of the major car companies plus Pioneer and others have selected XM as there choice for satellite ready radio equipment. It's up to you, but whatever you choose, Digital Satelllite radio is heads and shoulders over commercial FM radio in sound quality ... You just can't compare the two togather ... Not even in the same league!

Dave & bully ... Thanks for the compliments. I really came close to purchasing a new 'Surround Sound' reciever, but everyone told me to take these old late 70s Pioneer amps out of storage and match them with a quality CD/SACD player and a good set of speakers. I am glad I did.

You know, if you check the specs on these older amps, the majority of the new (moderatly priced) Surround Sound systems don't even come close.

As much as I like these Polks, I still kinda wish I had not dumped the massive Pioneer HPM1500 speakers I had! They sure made for nice fronts.

Of Well ...

Ron,

XM radio...

Thanks Ron, I appreciate the input.

I've only managed to find one other person I know who has XM, and he also felt that the number of commercials is not an issue.

I've also heard that XM has far more subscribers than Sirius, and it's growing fairly steadily.

I wanted to know if the broadcast bandwidth was better than FM, which is truncated on the high end at 15 kHz. I emailed their tech support, and got a reply back that verified that they do indeed broadcast the full spectrum that is available from the source media, i.e. a CD is broadcast at full CD quality.

Wow! I may need to do this!

Thanks,
Clay

Beautiful system. I love the clean and simple look. However, I will probably never have a system like that. I have way too much crap to leave any shelf space empty, the laws of physics dictate that I use every spare inch of shelf space, if I don't, I will not be able to walk around the room, let alone get to my stuff :D

Back
Top Bottom