My basement A/V setup

CSG123

Audio%20-%20Video%20system%20004.jpg

Audio%20-%20Video%20system%20002.jpg

Audio%20-%20Video%20system%20006.jpg

I'm almost embarrassed to post this after seeing so many cool systems and rooms here but I figure this is a good way to say hello.

Sources:

DirecTV HD receiver
Samsung DVD/VCR
JVC XL-Z431 CD
Technics SL-QL1 Turntable

Receiver:

Yamaha RX-V990

Speakers:

Celestion DL-8 Series II (L/R)
NHT SuperOne (C)
NHT SuperZero (R)

TV:

37" Vizio

I've had the equipment save for the TV and DVD/VCR for years. I listen to music more than the TV thing but the family enjoys the mini home theater experience. I'm a jazz guy, amateur musician (piano and guitar), and all around RBG. ;)

I've got an Onkyo C-S5VL coming from Amazon to replace the JVC CD player (it's getting moved).

I've found the Celestions to be some of the best bookshelf speakers I've had the experience of hearing. They are stunning on vocals (Diana Krall is singing to *me*) and they set up a wonderful soundstage image. The drawback is they are elevated higher than they should be but there's not really enough room for stands where they should be placed.

I like the Technics turntable a lot. Linear tracking, direct drive, automatic operation. My previous turntable was a manual Pioneer (forget which one) but since buying the Technics back in the late 80's/early 90's I've come to really enjoy the automatic start, stop, track selection, etc. Has the original cartridge but a recent replacement spec stylus from turntableneedles.com.

Frankly, I prefer playing CD's, plugging in my iPod, or simply listening to the Sonic Tap classic jazz station on DirecTV but I do play at least a couple records each evening. Takes me back to once upon a time. :thmbsp:

Welcome :) I like that set up alot. It is all about the enjoyment of the music and it looks like that is well handled in your system. I enjoy vinyl myself, but CD's get some play and I will sitback daily with the local NPR Jazz station for something a little different.

Very nice system! As a Technics turntable from that same series was one of my first hifi purchases, I noticed the nice TT immediately. Wish I had the room to set up my system like that!

Very nice setup!

Like 24 stated, no need to apologize, just enjoy the system you have & improve on it when you can.

Rome

Thanks for the comments. I have no real plans to upgrade save for *maybe* a new receiver at some point to gain the benefits of new connection options. I'd also like to place the speakers properly on stands again but that requires furniture changes. The basement is fully finished and is our informal part of the house. We're out in the country and a half mile from our closest neighbors. One can listen at whatever volume without concern of disturbing anyone. That's worth a lot right there!

I've always approached audio with one instrument - my ears. If it sounds good to me it is, regardless of the name or cost of the equipment. I absolutely understand there are far better systems than mine and that mine certain could be improved but I live in a small town where Best Buy is the *audiophile* shop in town... ;)

If I could bring stuff home and audition it in the room, I'd be more likely to experiment but the only way to do that is by mail with return shipping hassles to deal with. I do think of floor standing speakers sometimes because the room is about 13'x40' and the speakers are on one end shooting out across too great a distance to be at their best. But that's what I think about when I think "hassle"...

I should add that if you saw a longer view of the room you'd see there's a sofa on the adjacent wall on one side and a wall unit on the opposite wall. Facing the A/V unit is a love seat. I think the best solution for the speakers facing too long a room is to trade places with the bookcase wall unit and the A/V unit but that's a LOT of work. ;o) I'd be smart to just move the speakers to their proposed new location and do some listening to see if that tightened things up enough to make the effort.

Well, today I tired something I'd been thinking of for awhile. I got the speakers off the cabinets and on a couple temporary stands (two small 15" tables) to see if they'd fit after all. I was not only able to get a proper spread so I was now equidistant to the speakers and they to each other. It also allowed me to get them away from the back wall. The tweeter is still a bit low from my seating position but only by 4" or so where they were 15-18" too high on the cabinets. I'll post a photo later. But strike what I said in my first post about not being able to do it. I should have tried it long ago. Sigh...

The difference is so remarkable that every complaint I had about sound is gone. It's like a whole new system and all I did was put the speakers where they should have been all along. I'll order a set of correct height stands tomorrow.

Yay! :D

Back
Top Bottom