My beginner bedroom setup

Could always use the B speaker output terminals for the powered sub.

A side note on the Sherwood. If anyone is interested in looking into getting a nice receiver at a good price, the Sherwood 4105 with the same output as the 4109 is a much sweeter amp with .08%THD compared to .8%. The only thing lacking is the 4109's phono stage, which would most likely be better served with an inexpensive outboard phono pre anyway.

Could always use the B speaker output terminals for the powered sub.

A side note on the Sherwood. If anyone is interested in looking into getting a nice receiver at a good price, the Sherwood 4105 with the same output as the 4109 is a much sweeter amp with .08%THD compared to .8%. The only thing lacking is the 4109's phono stage, which would most likely be better served with an inexpensive outboard phono pre anyway.

Okay, that's pretty straight up.

You got that right about the 4109, the phono section is just so meh. lol The 'Sui just brings everything to life. Even on the other stages, the Sansui blows the Sherwood out of the water.

Okay, that's pretty straight up.

You got that right about the 4109, the phono section is just so meh. lol The 'Sui just brings everything to life. Even on the other stages, the Sansui blows the Sherwood out of the water.

Not really a fair comparison, a new receiver of the Sui's caliber would cost 10 times what the Sherwood does, and the reason we seek these vintage bad boys out.

You could also connect the sub to the A speaker terminals and run the speakers from the subs output terminals, This would free your Polks from of the lower register allowing them to play louder without strain. Not what I would do, but your mileage might vary. I find running the main speakers full range and letting the sub just take up the slack a more accurate reproduction as the larger woofer just isn't as fast as the smaller mid-bass driver in the mains.

Last edited:
So, I'm finally in the market for a decent turn table. I'm debating on what I should get. I'm stuck between either a Technics SL-1700, SL-1700Mk2, SL-1800, SL-D2, Sansui FR-D3, and FR-D35. My budget is around $150, but I can stretch it a tad bit.

Does anyone in the mid-Atlantic region know of a good place to take my receiver to get it serviced? The last place I took it to didn't do much of anything, they didn't seem to have the time to service the Sansui properly. I think I might have a failing transistor somewhere in my left channel. I may as well have the capacitors replaced as well. Any help is much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom