Anyone with full range single driver speakers is welcome here. We're definitely in the minority.
Thanks :) wonderful! A one-way-homei :) BTW me an my girlfriend will build a 300B SE amp next year. There's something about the one tube to one driver that i really like ;)
Oooh, and there's one more. The speaker build of the STAG-103 SOL is on Pintrest if you or someone else is curious.

Yes, you are. But not ignored. You guys do a great job keeping me intrigued about them. I'd love to hear.

Welcome to AK, Johanfull.
Thanks and I'll keep you posted:)
I have the FE 103 SOL and theFE 103 EN, maybe I should do a shootout if I manage to borrow some measuring gear.
One way, one love!

Thanks :) wonderful! A one-way-homei :) BTW me an my girlfriend will build a 300B SE amp next year. There's something about the one tube to one driver that i really like ;)
Oooh, and there's one more. The speaker build of the STAG-103 SOL is on Pintrest if you or someone else is curious.

I built the Fostex FE126En Frugal Horns a few years ago and play them daily. I think you'd enjoy them as well and they are a bit more sensitive than the 103's.

http://www.frugal-horn.com/FH3.html

Johanfull,

I would be very curious to hear your impressions of the 103SOL vs the 103en. I have never heard the SOL version, but I have tried using the FE103en in boxes (sealed & Metronome) and OB (over Eminence Alpha15a). My initial impressions of the 103en were positive, but with time, there is something in the mid-range that annoys me. Not exactly a 'boxy' sound, but something just not quite right. And I am definitely a Fostex fan, having used FE108eSigma, FE127e, FF85K, FE167e, F120a, and FF225wk in various builds and been quite happy with them.

Cheers, Jim

I've seen them but not heard them yet. Sems like a brilliant speaker and a really great project:) Mr Poultrygeist, may i ask. Have you heard the FE 103:s with a tube amp? I heard that thay play nice with one another.

Yes they sound great but at 89 dbs I'd recommend a 300B or push pull amp.

Last edited:
Johanfull,

I would be very curious to hear your impressions of the 103SOL vs the 103en. I have never heard the SOL version, but I have tried using the FE103en in boxes (sealed & Metronome) and OB (over Eminence Alpha15a). My initial impressions of the 103en were positive, but with time, there is something in the mid-range that annoys me. Not exactly a 'boxy' sound, but something just not quite right. And I am definitely a Fostex fan, having used FE108eSigma, FE127e, FF85K, FE167e, F120a, and FF225wk in various builds and been quite happy with them.

Cheers, Jim
Hello Jim! :) i think the FE 103:s are a bit picky about what amp they are hoked up to. But I guess you have tried a bunch, thats my guess anyway. I'm satisfied with the mid while driving the 103EN:s with my old 3020i although a recap and probably new power transistors would be in order:)

About the FE 103 SOL... My god was I impressed the first time I heard them. I think the top is a bit harsh while driving them on transistors but I guess time will tell, haven't tried them on tubes yet . The overall response (especially higer mid 2k:ish) is absolutely mesmerizing although they are very judging, if the song is poorly recorded you'll crawl out of your skin. Before the NAD gets to hot the transient details and three dimensional image is nothing but a miracle. That's my opinion:) I would love to try them with other amps.

Last edited:
Welcome!

I've owned a similar pair of DIY horns with six inch drivers for close to fifteen years. Mine are ugly as sin [still in primer grey], but I absolutely love 'em.
They'd be hooked up now if they weren't so finicky about placement and I had the proper room.

Back
Top Bottom