My Best Find so far- Klipsch...

Charlie Zxi

Heresy II speakers in mint condition in the basement of a friend’s family member. Was helping her clear it out so they could rent it.
Rest of the family had taken what they wanted... so I got them for $0.00. I did labor for two weekends, but I was going to do that anyway.
Hooked them up the other day and wowswers! I read that they are too bassy, but as a bass player I tend to like that. Otherwise, I really like how these are sounding... so clear. Put on Tusk from Fleetwood Mac while I was getting ready to go out and... I never made it out..

Heresy II speakers in mint condition in the basement of a friend’s family member. Was helping her clear it out so they could rent it.
Rest of the family had taken what they wanted... so I got them for $0.00. I did labor for two weekends, but I was going to do that anyway.
Hooked them up the other day and wowswers! I read that they are too bassy, but as a bass player I tend to like that. Otherwise, I really like how these are sounding... so clear. Put on Tusk from Fleetwood Mac while I was getting ready to go out and... I never made it out..
WOW outstanding!!! That is an excellent score ... on a whole lot of levels!!

I kinda quiet reading this thread on account of I get "jealous." :(
Couple of years ago someone was given a pair Shahinian Obelisk
http://shahinianacoustics.com/Obelisk.htm???

Yeah mostly few know what the hell those are ... but I do heard them decades ago and I was most impressed! And then someone found a pair of K Horns or LA Bellas on the curb!!! Are you kidding me???

And yeah I've had my success ... a pristine pair of Mach Ones for 40 bucks! I had no idea what they were at the time?? But when I went online and looked them up ... well, fortunately no one was in way drivin that 16 miles to the back to the thrift store!!

And I'm pretty happy with my Sansui SP 1200 for $15 bucks for the pair?? My KG 4's and the Mach Ones are currently idle but you know they are mine my mine ... and that's what matters.:)

Anyway the Hersey's ... to much bass??? Who said that??? Those speakers have there fan's and I am one but I have never heard anyone complain of Heresey's having to much bass?? That complaint would have most likely come from heavy handed use of the bass level or an EQ??

The "horns" tend to be what generates "criticism." At any rate glad you like them and condgrads! I am sooo jealous. :)

I read that they are too bassy,

I'm pretty sure you read that they aren't bassy enough. That is the common complaint. I love my pair but do find them placement critical. Like many Klipsch speakers, they benefit from boundary reinforcement (a fancy way of saying close to a wall or even better, a corner). You don't want them on stands in the middle of the room. As somebody who deals in vinyl, I love how the horns reveal every click or sibilant. If a record sounds good on them it will sound great on most speakers.

WOW outstanding!!! That is an excellent score ... on a whole lot of levels!!

I kinda quiet reading this thread on account of I get "jealous." :(
Couple of years ago someone was given a pair Shahinian Obelisk
http://shahinianacoustics.com/Obelisk.htm???

Yeah mostly few know what the hell those are ... but I do heard them decades ago and I was most impressed! And then someone found a pair of K Horns or LA Bellas on the curb!!! Are you kidding me???

And yeah I've had my success ... a pristine pair of Mach Ones for 40 bucks! I had no idea what they were at the time?? But when I went online and looked them up ... well, fortunately no one was in way drivin that 16 miles to the back to the thrift store!!

And I'm pretty happy with my Sansui SP 1200 for $15 bucks for the pair?? My KG 4's and the Mach Ones are currently idle but you know they are mine my mine ... and that's what matters.:)

Anyway the Hersey's ... to much bass??? Who said that??? Those speakers have there fan's and I am one but I have never heard anyone complain of Heresey's having to much bass?? That complaint would have most likely come from heavy handed use of the bass level or an EQ??

The "horns" tend to be what generates "criticism." At any rate glad you like them and condgrads! I am sooo jealous. :)
Yeah, you’re right, I think I got the bassy thing mixed up with an amp review. Lol. I have so many song lyrics in my brain that sometimes
I forget model names and such- also there’s not a lot of room for math! Haha!

LOL yep I missed it! I think I would have overlooked that in any case, because upon a casual glance it looks like a small cabinet??? But that is a nice piece! :)

I had to just stop looking at the consoles. I just don't have the room! I have a Danish Modern Console (MAggie Tube Amp) an Olympus Mono Console, a floor standing, Mono Radio Shortwave Am Fm thing. It needs a lot of help in all areas of repair! Multiple Veneers kinda thing! And a SS Sansui console ... that I really, really did not want or need but yeah it's here. :)

But the price went from 10 bucks to free cuz it was still there after the yard sale and the guy did not want to bring it back inside! Sigh I knew where it was and I went back after the yard sale and there it was, what are you gonna do??

But save for the Olympus and I suppose the whatever Floor standing radio?? They just take up to much floor space! So when I go to the local thrift store ... I pretend like I don't see them (consoles) ... :(

That is a cool piece you have there because if nothing else ... it also allows you to put on stuff of it! That is a plus these days.

But hey ... most likely it's just a matter time ...until consoles become more appreciated?? Reproductions of them ... go for uh insane prices!!! Reproductions with modern gear are selling for insane prices!!! Some company in Ca (of course) is currently selling them! There was a thread on here of one of them but I lost track of it??

But I saw it, as someone wanted was considering buying one and we are talking uh ... thousands of dollars?? I suggested uh buy the real deal and just get it refurbed! It would be cheaper and most likely sound better in my opinion. But you got a cool score in anycase. :)

I'm pretty sure you read that they aren't bassy enough. That is the common complaint. I love my pair but do find them placement critical. Like many Klipsch speakers, they benefit from boundary reinforcement (a fancy way of saying close to a wall or even better, a corner). You don't want them on stands in the middle of the room. As somebody who deals in vinyl, I love how the horns reveal every click or sibilant. If a record sounds good on them it will sound great on most speakers.
So mistakenly I have them in the perfect place, then...within a cutout along a wall, so they’re both in corners, but not the corners of the room. I’m hearing nuances in recordings I’ve never heard!

Yeah, you’re right, I think I got the bassy thing mixed up with an amp review. Lol. I have so many song lyrics in my brain that sometimes
I forget model names and such- also there’s not a lot of room for math! Haha!
LOL ... so now are you gonna worry that they sound ... "shrill and bright??" :)

As that is pretty much the typically criticism of "Horn Speakers" well that and "Honky" I suppose, I suppose?? But Klipsch, speakers ... have there on sound?? So I suppose if one cares ... that makes them wrong?? What freaking ever ... I say. Put on ZZ Top "Gimme All Your Lovin" and see what you think??? I was really surprised when KG 4's at the time ... did just as well! So yeah ... my KG 4's, were not going back to New York City. :)

But hey ... I'm a "shallow kinda guy" and the Heresy's do look cooler w/o the grills then my Kg 4's. And well you know if that is one of your criteria ... then LOL a pair of Mach One's ... is a slam dunk!

So with my give criteria ... I don't need to hear K Horns, La Scala's or La Bella's! I'd like them unheard ... my only criterias or can I find them at a price I can afford?? Can I get them home if I do?? A Toyota Prius is not to good for transporting uh large speakers?? And can I actually fit them in our modest home?? I'd have to build to a phony wall for K Horns ... but others have done that. :)

Aww well at any rate, you've step into the "Fanatic Group" if you like your Klipsch's, so you know ... welcome aboard. :)

You are one lucky fellow Charlie. :thumbsup: I have owned two pair of them, but unfortunately let them leave the stable. I used them as standalone's, and to accompany my Cornies. They came about as being a center channel for the Klischorn's. I think my 1st pair cost me a whopping $350 with the risers and original boxes. I could not get the money from my hand to the sellers fast enough that day.

With a good pair going from $500 - $900 (without the risers) these days, you need to think twice if you ever decide to sell them. Again, congrats on getting a superb set of speakers. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I am a lucky gal, yes - this time. We all have those ones that got away...but for now I’m going to enjoy my speakers, and keep looking for a bargain amp or receiver like an older marantz or pioneer- I’ve had both and lost both, one to divorce and the other to my own ignorance.

With those speaks Charlie you don't need a lot of power to make them sing. They are really efficient speakers, somewhere in the middle 90's SPL range IIRC. I know I pushed a pair using two 5wpc tube amps and had power to spare. Hell, I even hooked them up to a Sansui 661 receiver (I am a Sui nut btw) putting out a whopping 20wpc and was floored by their reproduction qualities. If you don't have the risers for them it is worth the investment to find a pair.

Happy listening!!

With those speaks Charlie you don't need a lot of power to make them sing. They are really efficient speakers, somewhere in the middle 90's SPL range IIRC. I know I pushed a pair using two 5wpc tube amps and had power to spare. Hell, I even hooked them up to a Sansui 661 receiver (I am a Sui nut btw) putting out a whopping 20wpc and was floored by their reproduction qualities. If you don't have the risers for them it is worth the investment to find a pair.

Happy listening!!
ZebraBlvd,
Now that you mention it, looking at my volume level, it is quite a bit lower than it was before! Thanks for sharing your experience with these! I will keep that in mind in my search, my current receiver (Yamaha HTR-5950) has just too much processing going on for me to “believe” it as far as wanting to hear recordings as they were originally mastered.

HTR's, are a whole nuther ball of wax. But you can use it in two channel mode and it should bypass the "DSP" stuff??

But with those ... you don't need a lot of power. And that offers you a whole lot of options in low powered tube gear lot's of low powered tube amp kits out there if that is your thing or you think it might be?? !0 watts or less should be more than adequate?? Or a vintage baby receivers out there and the JVC JR-S201/600 RECEIVER'S they sound great and are not expensive. Unconventional looks, seem to keep the prices pretty low for the 100/200's anyway.

You can mix and match as you please ... I seem to do modern electronics and vintage speakers mostly ... for some reason?? I have no idea what that's about?? But most likely cuz I'm lazy and like remote controls! :)

Hey Charlie. It took me a long time to find a Amp\Preamp combo, or a receiver for that matter, that would just "get outta the way between the source of the music and the speakers". I won't bore you with what I kike. Everyone's ears are different when it comes to what they like, or dislike, as with any piece of audio gear.

I will say that for me, the Klipsch line of heritage speakers are my go to speaks. But here again, it's what these ears want to hear when dropping the needle on a good piece of vinyl. Just keep trying to find your audio nirvana. The road to it is a life experience in itself.

DAMN, that is some deep sh!!t I just spouted. Must be the drugs kicking in. :smoke:

Hey Charlie. It took me a long time to find a Amp\Preamp combo, or a receiver for that matter, that would just "get outta the way between the source of the music and the speakers". I won't bore you with what I kike. Everyone's ears are different when it comes to what they like, or dislike, as with any piece of audio gear.

I will say that for me, the Klipsch line of heritage speakers are my go to speaks. But here again, it's what these ears want to hear when dropping the needle on a good piece of vinyl. Just keep trying to find your audio nirvana. The road to it is a life experience in itself.

DAMN, that is some deep sh!!t I just spouted. Must be the drugs kicking in. :smoke:
As a musician, I know this to be very true. When I was just singing, I thought 5 guitars was ridiculous to have- I had one acoustic that I banged chords out of to write, and to learn covers to play around the campfire. Then I switched to bass because even though we all started at terrible, our bass player took up residency there. Some years later, I went back to rhythm guitar. Now, ridiculously, I own 12, maybe 14 guitars, six basses, and 9 amps.
So hard to get rid of any of them, because they were the road to ...here.

So IDK if I should start a new thread, but may have an even better find:
KLH Model sixes I tried to find info from serial number could anyone point me in the right direction? They appear to be the older type, with non removable baffles, but I haven’t seen any described with this white finish, which appears to be original.

Attachments

• ABE9E961-6A1F-4F62-9AA0-50FB368C96AF.jpeg
    ABE9E961-6A1F-4F62-9AA0-50FB368C96AF.jpeg
    40.3 KB · Views: 17
  • 881FB816-D376-47EA-A561-21F8EDF21EF4.jpeg
    881FB816-D376-47EA-A561-21F8EDF21EF4.jpeg
    50.6 KB · Views: 15
Back
Top Bottom