My Braun Drivers Hit!!

WildWest

OHHH Happy day!! <jumping up and down like a lil kid> Two months ago I found these drivers of gold on the bay and quickly snatched them up from a fellow over in Germany, their birth place. Yes drivers of gold. I had smoked the voice coils in both bass drivers of one speaker a while ago. While the replacement voice coils sounded ok in these sweet Braun 710 speakers, it still just wasn't the same. But what could I do? No one on God's green earth could repair them back to specs for me. So scoring them for 40 bucks was needless to say, well worth it. But the weeks turned into months and I thought my gold got away from me. Lost in the eternal maze of overseas shipping.

But lo and behold they finally end up at my door step today! Exactly what I needed! Perfect replacements. Nice stamped date code on the back, 1972 geee I was a sophomore in high school back then.

I am now gonna cherry these speakers cabinets out and enjoy these beautiful acustic suspension speakers. All you ADS knock off guys...eat your hearts out LOL :butt2:

:yippy: :guitar: ROCK ON!!

Man I wondered what happened to those drivers. I thought maybe you got em and never told us. Well thats good news that they showed up after all that time. Now hows about a pic of those Brauny Bruans. I would like to compare the Brauns to my new set Dual CL18 speakers. I wonder since they are both german made if they used the same drivers.

Grumpy

Hmmm Dave, I don't know if they used the same driver or not. I know Braun made their own drivers. I will post a pic here when I get them put back together. Do you by chance have a pic of the Dual's? I have never seen those before, curious.

No pic yet but I will in a day or so. I can tell you they are built like Tanks. Even the backs of these things are real veneer.

Yup sounds like West German build alright. Just like these Brauns, very tank like. Even my 1964 JBL Lancer 66's with as well built as they are, does not match the Brauns in solid feel and look. Back plate on these things is some kind of slate. Crossover coils are nice and beefy, well laid out crossovers too. I am totally impressed by the German build and engineering of the era. The dual six inch bass driver was revolutionary in its day with replacing the typical twelve inch driver so often used as the standard by other speaker manufactures. Made for much better detail of sound so it was said. I tend to agree... :)

Yeah that sounds better then built like a VW Bug :arrow:

The later WWII-era panzers were engineering marvels, however, the build quality was not up to the task :eek:
The modern Leopard II, however, is very much a world-class battle tank.
The long 75 and the 88 were far-away superior to any guns on Allied tanks. Thank goodness the Russians listened to Christie and utilized his designs for the T-34. The Russkies built hard-hitting guns, too.
T-34, now there was a simple, tank tank.

pete ;)

A funny about recent history. The Germans relied on better engineering while the Allies bet on out producing them. Everyone knows how that worked out.
Cold war and Nato was betting on high tec and the Soviets on outproducing us.
The big deal was training and gear but I think someone forgot that the Russians jumped out of low and slow airplanes into the snow behind German lines in WWII because they didn't have parachutes! Step, clank! Step, clank!
One never knows do one?
Oh yea, glad you got those Von Brauns!
I used to have some old Dyna speakers but they were made in Denmark, probably Seas drivers. No idea what the model # was.

I always thought the Tiger was the best they had built. These were kicking the crap outta our tanks for a long while. Yes I watch alot of the history channel :p: its really the only TV I watch.

Yeah but the Sherman was reliable, easy to build and most importantly easy to ship across the ocean. It might have taken a bunch of Shermans to take a Tiger but there was usually a bunch around.

Last couple of months of the European war the Americans had a new tank, forget the name, but was quite competant, had a 90mm gun.

Don't forget, American artillery was head and shoulders above the German, or anyone else's. TOTs killed Germans like smallpox. Americans have always been good gunners. It was the Regular Army artillery, not the much vaunted and vastly overrated militia riflemen, who won New Orleans.

That would be the M26 Pershing, daddy to the Patton and the M60 series.
Had a 90mm high velocity gun, and a 500hp engine and would do a speedy 30 mph on the highway.
Entered service to late to see any real action in Europe, but was put to good use in Okinawa.
No one has been as big the believers in guns as the Russians!
They just pounded the Germans all the way to Berlin, then pounded Berlin into rubble.
Tough to escape guns. They can really rain on yer parade, and they don't need to stop or fly away like the bombers.
IIRC, American brains invented the modern air burst. Ouch.

Bully---Yeah, The Red Army was into cannon big time. But our guns in WW II were used the most effectively. During the war we invented the proximity fuse which burst the shell when it was near an aircraft, greatly increasing the effectiveness of our naval flak in the Pacific, did well against the V-1 attacks against England too. Later in the war this fuse was used with land artillery to fire air-bursts against the Germans.

John Hilliard, the big engineering Kahuna at Altec, worked on the magnetic submarine detection system that helped bag many U-Boats. His work on this got him interested in the ways the new Alnico magnets could be used with speakers. In 1945 Altec went from field-coils to permanent Alnico magnets. How's that for sliding back on topic?

www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

John Camille was a Phantom driver in SE Asia and was in on the project that Texas Intruments had for smart bombs, and he is the father of the parafeed circuit that Bottlehead uses.
One of my best speakers is a Knight triax and it like Stromerg Carlson speakers I own were built by the submarine builders General Dynamics.
War in the 20th cetury was responible for most of the R&D that developed into our audio toys. Especially if you consider the space race as a war effort (and you should).

I'll take arty over a 130 gunship orbiting overhead for 3-4 hours at a time, shelling you with all kinds of ordinance. Little more accurate than arty. Climb a few thousand feet, hit the tanker, and back down for a few more hours of fun in the sun.

Toasted Almond

Back
Top Bottom