My brother was trying to help! I Need Help!

rolszews

My brother was trying to help my collecting and bought a pair of CS-D9900 Floor standing speaker for me. These are big and heavy, and he swears they were in good shape when he bought them. The owner claimed they were sealed in the original box since 1990. When I came to get them there is a big hole in one of the woofer FOAM surrounds. I did expect them to be foam and was going to coat them with rubber cement if the were intact. What do you think I should do now. ReFoam? I cannot find much information about this speaker except Rick stereomanuals says these were produced in 1986 and replaced the CS-C9900. The CS-C9900 were 3-ways with 16 inch woofer, 6 inch mid and 2.5 tweeter and retailed for $200. I do know that the D9900 is a 4 way, with an added super tweeter with metal angled diffusion grille. The numbers on the 16 woofer are 142976 .....PT-81 8619 ....doesn't have a very large magnet...Are 16 inch woofers and foam kits available anymore? I am sure these are not collectable or anything, but I would like to get them going to make my brother feel better. I guess I could coat the intact woofer with rubber cement and then try it out. Your help would be appreciated.

You should probably move this post to either the speaker forum or the DIY forum for more results.

Refoam, it's inexpensive and easy to do. If you don't want to DIY you can find sellers on ebay who will do it for you for under $40 (ship it to them), or look for a local audio repair place tha can do it. Make sure everything works before anything, as other things could be wrong with it after sitting so long. Also do a search on AK for threads on refoaming.

my thought would be to go to partsexpress and get the cheapest 16" woof you can find, and buy a pair of 'em and slap 'em in. it doesn't sound like the speaker really merits any extensive 'restoration' effort.

Thanks for the quick advice!

Thanks guys, but I think I will have a problem finding anything for a 16 inch woofer. This is a 16 inch frame and the speaker is 8 ohm. I can't even find a fefoam kit so far. I guess I can go ahead and play the speaker with the hole in it... Then try out the other one after I rubber cement it . I have nothing to lose.

try some of these links bud;
http://www.simplyspeakers.com/speakerrepairinstructions.htm
http://www.mwaspeakerparts.com/
http://www.newfoam.com/video.asp

Hope this helps! :banana:

rolszews said:
Thanks guys, but I think I will have a problem finding anything for a 16 inch woofer. This is a 16 inch frame and the speaker is 8 ohm. I can't even find a fefoam kit so far. I guess I can go ahead and play the speaker with the hole in it... Then try out the other one after I rubber cement it . I have nothing to lose.

I've never heard of putting rubber cement on speakers, but then again, I've never rebuilt speakers. I thought I saw some spray-on product from Parts Express that will protect the speaker. I think it was red in color.

Hey San- look above your head to the following links I posted this should show how to repair the driver. :smoke:

SansuiSamRI said:
I've never heard of putting rubber cement on speakers, but then again, I've never rebuilt speakers. I thought I saw some spray-on product from Parts Express that will protect the speaker. I think it was red in color.

Back
Top Bottom