My Budget(?) McIntosh System

reed338

Still looking for a used Furman regulator/conditioner and a decent subwoofer.....but so far this is my budget(?) McIntosh system. What do you think...is it budget or am I fooling myself?! Any suggestions for other good McIntosh hardware that can be found on the cheap? I'm guessing inthe near future is like to get separate preamp and power amps.

MA6600 wTM2 module
D100
MVP871 (as transport)
Manley Chinook
VPI Classic w signature tonearm
Magnepan 1.7i

Attachments

• IMG_2046.JPG
    IMG_2046.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Really nice system. I like everything on your list.
Does the sound meet or exceed your expectations for the money your spent?

This is a little over two years of diligently looking on ebay/CL/audiogon and making lowball offers :/.

My first system was a fisher 500c, theorens td125, rega planet and Klipch fortes. Every single thing I've replaced was a huge improvement all along the way. At this point I'm not sure changing stuff out wouldn't be just dimenishing returns. BUT the magnepans do lack a ton of bass compared to the fortes and do need to be run loud to really come alive. My other complaint is that although the VPI tonearm and platter are amazing, the motors in these things are junk. I'm on the third motor in like two years so it's not a reliable thing going forward.

11k is what I paid for my wifes 2015 Honda Civic at auction last year. It had 30k miles on it.
That's a lot of dough just to listen to some old scratchy records... ;)

11k is what I paid for my wifes 2015 Honda Civic at auction last year. It had 30k miles on it.
That's a lot of dough just to listen to some old scratchy records... ;)
$11,000 is a lot for a car and if you where not wasting that much money driving to get groseries on a car you can own this system.

I find comments like this very funny and I pulled you off ignore just to reply. My system cost 6 times as much, people make snide comments to me because they "think" I'm rich. Sitting here without a pot to piss in, I buy used cars/trucks for $3000-$4000 with 250,000 every few years or so.

It's no ones business where and how I spend my money or what the OP spends his on. Most of us mac owners save and save till we can finally get what we're after.

Everyone tell your wives that $11K is now considered a 'budget' system!
Yeah boy! Free at last !! Where's my wallet!

Just put it on your credit card and then pay 35 dollars a month on your minimum payment until your dead. Me, I work hard have ZERO debt,no kids, no wife and can afford a decent condo, nice stereo, two vacations a year to Tokyo and drive a 2015 corvette. Priorities my friends.

You must like Tokyo a lot! Will you bring me back a couple of Luxman or Accuphase amps? Just for kicks of course.

I'm not really carrying any debt either right now. Sort of makes me nervous. The Powers That Be will never let you die if you owe tons of money, right?

You must like Tokyo a lot! Will you bring me back a couple of Luxman or Accuphase amps? Just for kicks of course.

I'm not really carrying any debt either right now. Sort of makes me nervous. The Powers That Be will never let you die if you owe tons of money, right?

Stereo equipment is very overpriced in Tokyo. But in akihabara you can find decently priced tango transformers and such. But I go there to eat and drink until the wee hours of the morning. Meet me there and I'll show you the best ramen in shinokobu...I hope you like it spicy!!

BUT the magnepans do lack a ton of bass compared to the fortes and do need to be run loud to really come alive. My other complaint is that although the VPI tonearm and platter are amazing, the motors in these things are junk. I'm on the third motor in like two years so it's not a reliable thing going forward.
Sounds like those would be 2 areas to address, they would be for me. My biggest irritation is an audio investment is little issues that take away the overall pleasure. If you like your Maggies maybe a sub is all you need, or a full range speaker to highlight the Mac's qualities. And it does seem like a different turntable would give you more peace of mind too.

$11,000 is a lot for a car and if you where not wasting that much money driving to get groseries on a car you can own this system.

I find comments like this very funny and I pulled you off ignore just to reply. My system cost 6 times as much, people make snide comments to me because they "think" I'm rich. Sitting here without a pot to piss in, I buy used cars/trucks for $3000-$4000 with 250,000 every few years or so.

It's no ones business where and how I spend my money or what the OP spends his on. Most of us mac owners save and save till we can finally get what we're after.

Easy, easy... I was playing devils advocate. I have more invested in my music and stereos than my transportation also. The winking smiley was supposed to express my tongue-in-cheeky-ness. Dig deep, pull them panties out, and lighten up. I am so very happy you pulled me off of ignore though, can we sit down and have a chat now?;) Winking again. Just relax.

Back
Top Bottom